TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal explains why Florida is no.1 and why we are not

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal explains why Florida is no.1 and why we are not
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-10-2014 09:41 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team just hasn't caught on to what Cal is teaching and Cal hasn't caught on how to communicate to this team.

It’s not hard for Kentucky coach John Calipari to explain why Florida is No. 1 — and at the same time point out what has been wrong with his team way too often this year.

“They play off of one another,” Calipari said of the Gators after they beat UK Saturday. “The best play of the game was Scott (Wilbekin) threw it to one of the bigs and the big threw it back to him and he scored. That’s just two guys knowing each other, playing for each other. For me, that was the best play of the game.

“That’s the kind of stuff we’re not getting right now. The great ones make a two-on-one look simple. We kind of make those look harder.

“But I’ll say this: We’re better. We got hit in the mouth, a bunch of adversity, and the guys went in the locker room and came out and tried – and really tried to play and gave themselves a chance. Didn’t have enough to finish the game, especially against a team that good. You can’t spot a team 24 points, in their building, No. 1 team on Senior Night, and think you’re going to win. How about this? And we had a chance to, which is crazy.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-10-2014 09:55 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On being better, I disagree with Cal, this team was better in early January than they are right now in my opinion. At least last year's team had a reason for their late season string of losses, the loss of Noel, this group have no injuries and should be much better than they are. They still do not get into proper defensive stances and are just not a real good team either offensively or defensively. Some teams get what the coaches are trying to teach them, others don't and this seems to be a group of young men that just don't get it or buy into the team first mentality.

[ 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-10-2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cmd,

I get what Cal is saying. I thought they were gettting there 3 weeks ago, but the just can't seem to push the needle forward.

I think it has to do with the fact that none of them, Randle included, ever really learned how to play the game of basketball. They just are not instinctive players and they haven't been from what I have seen this year from day 1. They all have obviously grown up being the "Alpha Dog" of their team and never learned how to play the game. They could always just score on their oppnonent by lowering their head and moving on.

The two most instinctive freshmen on this team are Dakari Johnson and Hawkins. If Johnson had WCS ahtletic ability he would be unstoppable or if WCS had Johnson's instincts he would be a 25 and 12 guy.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11572 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-10-2014 10:43 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, I totally agree. I made that same statement the other day about Dakari and Willie. I wish Dakari had the natural athleticism Willie does, he would be unstoppable in the middle. We have all seen teams where there have been stars who the coaches have protected by having them play little to no defense for fear of losing them to fouls. This really does not help the player develop but it will help high school coaches keep their jobs by winning on offense alone. At the college level, these same young men are behind others because they have always been the scorers and never devoted much time to playing defense.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-10-2014 10:56 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Dakari had the athleticism of WCS, then it would be the second coming of Hakeem Olajuwan. Wouldn't THAT be sweet!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-10-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, to say they haven't learned to play the game of basketball is not only a bit harsh, it has a lot to do with his coaching. You add Poythress and WCS from last years class and you have one very talented bunch of players. It's a good combination of talent with plenty of talented subs also. The talent is there for Cal but for whatever reason they have not jelled as a team and that should fall on the coaching. If Cal would at least at some point admit his part in this slow development, it would do a lot for not only the players but for many of us fans as well. He seems to continue to throw his players under the bus and distance himself from the position that the team is in. To me the players come first as they were recruited by Cal and are here because of him and we as fans owe them the courtesy of standing behind them when they are not playing as well as we think. Why should Cal get a free pass on their play? He recruited them and he is their coach who by the way gets paid 17,000 dollars a day, all year long. A lot of us feel it is getting old listening to him tell us how hard he is working and every mistake his players are making. I think he forgets the coach of a team is a "very" important part of a team when they play well and when they don't play well.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-10-2014 12:07 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce true to some measure but the hardest thing in basketball is to keep a defensive stance for 30 seconds. Try it sometime and without being in a def stance you can not move your feet fast and cant guard anyone. That is our main prb despite our offensive woes.

Our kids so far, refuse to play defense - if they could then we would be in every game and perhaps would have won 2-3 of them.

Cal should sit the ones who do this on the bench until they decide to play hard ALL the time not just when they feel like it!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 03-10-2014 02:20 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel that the AAU is to blame for much of what we are witnessing. The players would be better served if they went to parks and playgrounds in urban areas where they would compete with older players. It would give them an opportunity to see a lot of new moves. Plus when it's winner stays up, you had better play some D or you may not play again for hours.
The AAU stunts their development because win or lose you have another game in a little while, there is nothing at stake. Just score attitude is not team basketball. Just my stupid opinion.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-10-2014 02:32 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blue and Ed, Don't get me wrong on Cal I hope he stays for many years to come just getting some anxiety out of my system. We as Cat fans love them to death no doubt about that and all have some different opinions but the one thing in common is "Go Cats"I

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-10-2014 08:18 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry but no coach can teach a player who is 18 how to be an instinctive player. The ghost of John Wooden or Adolph Rupp couldn't.

That has to be done starting in Junior High of even elementary. Yes, I think they have all had poor coaches learning to play the game other than Dakari and Hawkins. Willis may be instinctive as well but I have not seen him play enough to make that determination. From the two post passes he made at Vandy though I would guess yes because those were the correct play. As much as I like Poy, sometimes you can tell he doesn't know if he should pass, dribble, or shoot and by the time he figures it out the defense has already shifted. Instinctive players would never have that issue.

And yes. If you are a first round pick I still say take the money and go if that is your dream. I'm not sure why so many fans are so invested and angry at a young man for securing his future. Makes zero sense to me and is why I think Cal makes the statement that he will do right by the players even if it hurts the program. He allows the kids to get evaluated and let's them here the feedback. Some coaches do not.

[ 03-10-2014, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-11-2014 04:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bbr, boy did you nail what Trey posted when you talked about getting ready for the NBA :I'm not "invested" or "angry" but I do not believe it is securing their future to enter the NBA before they are ready. Your future lasts a whole lot more than a few years and consists of a whole lot more than simply money. And in many cases it could turn out to not be the best financial choice.

Playing in the NBA is not a dream, it is a job. A man's job. Its one thing to be competing against a college kid for playing time but wholly another to be competing against a grown man trying to take his job. He will knock your head off and show you no mercy.

Couldn't agree more and would add if they aren't careful and get some bad advise their lives can turn out really bad. Once the decision to leave for the NBA is made there is little middle ground and little to no chance of turning back.

Trey also posted this about Poythress who has always been one of my all time favorite Cats not because of his play on the court but his wonderful attitude and work ethic off the court. He has worked his fanny off for his family who did not have a live in father and helped support his family working 15 hours every week balancing making straight A's and getting to all his basketball practices and games. He is a gentle giant who never had the opportunity of a father-son relationship.

His numbers have gone down in a major melt down from last year. He shot at a 58% clip last year to a 46% this year, 3 pt shooting last year 42%, to 24% this year, 6 rebounds a game last year to 4.9 this year. The thing that really stands out to me is how unsure of himself he is, afraid even handle the ball and be his aggressive self like he was last year. This season he gets the ball in his hands and he passes it immediately. IMO Cal's hands on and yelling and screaming the whole game of coaching is not helping matters as not only Poy but some of the other players too who just can't relate this type of coaching. To Cal's defense many players he has coached thrive on his demeanor and need it to play up to their capabilities.

The thing that I admire most about Poythress is his determination, not give up attitude or make excuses for his poor play of late. The other thing about him that many of us don't pay enough attention too is his ability to handle his practice time and his grades as he continues to be able to carry a 3.9 grade average. He also by passed his chance to be a possible first round draft pick last season. The sad part is if he doesn't get out of his funk his chance of a NBA carrier is fading by the game. The good side is Poythress work ethic will make him a success in any endeavor he goes into after graduation. He will be a model citizen and do well in any occupation he decides to get into. God bless him.

[ 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-11-2014 10:16 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bbr,

We will just always disagree about it. If you have a chance to play in the NBA by getting drafted in the first round then go, because your spot is guaranteed. In any given year approximately 450 men get to play in the NBA. What percentage of the world population is that? So if you can GUARANTEE yourself one of those spots and guarantee your future (even if you never get another contract after your first one) I'm not sure how you turn it down. That is my opinion. There is no guarantee if you come back that you will be in the same situation. I will also disagree with your comment that it is not a "dream" of these young men to play in the NBA. It is: It is their dream job. How is that any different than if my dream was to be a Fireman at age 8 and I become one. Isn't that a job too? Don't we always tell kids to dream big or doesn't it apply to sports?

cmd,

Don't understand the no turning back comment, but hey I'm not smart either. Last time I checked, a player doesn't go to jail or anything else if the NBA career ends after three years. I think they all realize their amateur status is done when making that decision. Guys can make millions playing over seas. How is that any different than taking an International assignment for a Fortune 500 company? I can name quite a few players who played 3, went back to school, or started working for an employer, or started their own business.

The average length that all NBA players play is 6 years. Very few guys, only the Superstars and annual all stars play more than 10 years. So obviously guys are doing something after their playing careers if they so choose.

Just a difference of opinion, of course I happen to think my opinion is right, just as you guys believe yours is the right answer.

I just don't understand the condemning of a choice by a young man, because it may "hurt" the school that you cheer for as a fan which is a prevalent theme if you look at other chat boards. I'm not throwing you guys in that boat, but I do believe the is the "theme" behind many who complain about players going pro.

[ 03-11-2014, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-11-2014 10:26 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be a boring website if we all agreed and with that in mind TCD is far from boring however I can honestly say there is not one poster on TCD that I wouldn't like as a true friend.

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-11-2014 10:53 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can remember players who "stayed" one more year for their school and didn't even get drafted ( and would have been 1st rounder's if they left when their stock was the highest) the following year. For example Porter of Auburn and the kid from Ark's championship team - cant remember his name off hand. But both came back to help their schools, never got drafted, and they are probably greeters at Walmart now.

If anyone had the chance to make 1M plus for 3 yrs and generally a cpl more as NBA teams will more than likely sign a 1st rounder for additional yrs, who wouldn't do it!

Cal is recruiting the best of the best and when that is done they go after one yr to become millionaires. Hard to fault that..

p.s. I suspect Smart hurt himself in the upcoming draft by coming back - his attitude not court sense will do the trick!

[ 03-11-2014, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-12-2014 09:36 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
I can remember players who "stayed" one more year for their school and didn't even get drafted ( and would have been 1st rounder's if they left when their stock was the highest) the following year. For example Porter of Auburn and the kid from Ark's championship team - cant remember his name off hand. But both came back to help their schools, never got drafted, and they are probably greeters at Walmart now.

Porter was a 2nd round draft pick. And it sounds like a lack of talent wasn't his major problem. From wiki:

quote:
Porter went on to be selected with the 26th pick in the 2nd round (55th overall) of the 2000 NBA Draft by the Golden State Warriors. During his 51 games as a rookie small forward for Golden State, Porter averaged 8.6 points and 3.7 rebounds per contest despite a nagging sprained left ankle.[4] However, showing up 3 days late for summer camp followed by an off-the-court arrest soon clouded Porter's contributions and the team decided to trade him to the Charlotte Hornets in a 3-team 8-player deal. After Porter missed his flight to Charlotte, he was released from the team having never played in a game and has since not returned to the NBA. Upon his departure from the NBA, Porter has played for a number of professional leagues.

Posts: 10348 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-12-2014 10:27 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigbluerev:
quote:
I will also disagree with your comment that it is not a "dream" of these young men to play in the NBA. It is: It is their dream job. How is that any different than if my dream was to be a Fireman at age 8 and I become one. Isn't that a job too? Don't we always tell kids to dream big or doesn't it apply to sports?
What happens when these guys who dreamed of the NBA wash out? What happens then? A few million dollars is not going to make them happy. Especially since they probably will not see most of it between living costs and agents (and blowing since they are immature [Wink] )
Why is the assumption that this happens? I just don't understand. Is it because the few that it does happen too gets so much media coverage? Guys fall out of the NBA all the time and go on to very successful professional careers in basketball or basketball operations, business, and some even go back to school. Many, many more end up in that scenario then the broke scenario.

Like I said before their life doesn't end.

We just see the the whole scenario entirely different. No changing either of our minds. [Big Grin]

--------------------

redbone

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-12-2014 11:43 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I disagree Porter was a sure fire 1st rounder but got "bad advice" IMO and stayed one yr longer. The trb mentioned in the other post might not have happened if he had been a 1st rounder vice a 2nd rounder.

Bruce/Ray help me out who was thd kid from Ark who no doubt would have been a 1st rounder after the championship season? Not going hurt him big time.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-12-2014 12:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know the D league has been mentioned as a possibility but after checking their salary it's pretty hard to even exist in today's times. Depending on their perceived abilities they make 25M 19M and 13M per year. A player like Young who plays a very good schedule playing for Kentucky but who shoots less that forty percent from the field, 33% from the 3 point line and 67% from the free throw line and with his defense will more than likely have a tough time even in the D league. How he can be rated as a first round pick is beyond me and think he would be better served with another year or two in college than the NBA.

It's his decision but would hope someone who knows the ropes sits down with him and gives his a heart to heart talk on his options he will be faced with if he decides to take his chances and leaves for the NBA.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-12-2014 12:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed I think the player you are thinking of is Scotty Thurman who I don't think made it to the NBA. Corliss Williamson did make it and had a nice career in the NBA.

--------------------

Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 03-12-2014 01:31 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a post from another site. I thought it might add to the conversation........

"I attended a luncheon at Rupp today, got to shoot around and tour the locker rooms etc. Mike Pratt was the guest speaker. He told an interesting story about Cal and Archie. Mike said that Cal had Archie in his office, with about 5 NBA scouts on speaker phone, none of which knew Archie was there. Each scout told Cal that Archie should just come back and wasn't ready. Mike Pratt said that Cal received a message from Archie, within 45 minutes of the meeting, saying he had decided to go pro.

Mike said that this is what coaches are up against. Mike Pratt was a fantastic speaker and storyteller, had lot's of stories of UT fans throwing oranges and other Rupp stories."

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-12-2014 02:10 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, it was Scottie Thurman. The following is from Wiki:

quote:

Scotty Thurman (born November 10, 1974) is an American professional basketball player, perhaps best known as the Arkansas Razorbacks' shooting guard who hit the win-clinching high-arcing three-pointer with 53 seconds remaining in the 1994 NCAA Basketball Championship game.[1]

After leading Arkansas to the National Championship game in 1995, Thurman, along with teammate and future NBA player Corliss Williamson, left college early to make himself available for the 1995 NBA Draft. His agent and coach had told him that he would be a first round pick, and many fans and analysts agreed with this; surprisingly, he was not drafted.[2] He tried out unsuccessfully with the New Jersey Nets before settling with the CBA's Shreveport Storm (now defunct) in 1995-96.

While not making the NBA, Thurman played basketball in foreign countries including Cyprus, Greece, Lebanon and Macedonia, and played for the ABA's professional Arkansas RimRockers in their inaugural season. As of 2005, Thurman is with Fastlink of the Jordanian basketball league. Prior to that, he was signed with Sagesse of the Lebanese league.

Thurman still plays professional basketball but also has developed a business career with Russ Phillips. He is was the director of real estate for Cypress Properties, Inc., in Little Rock before being named the Director of Student-Athlete Development at the University of Arkansas.[3]
quote:

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-12-2014 02:10 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree with most of the above and am not mad at the players or the coaches. But I feel that these kids were rated so high they have not had the necessary tools to fulfill that rating. I also feel that Cal was put in a position he was unfamiliar with, getting so many highly rated players.

As we can all see these kids did not receive much in the way of defensive coaching. And Cal did what he thought was right by his players in the way they have been played.

It's hard to see any other result than what we have seen.

Looking st the coaching, it appears to me that Cal has went overboard in his playing of the top 4 freshmen trying to develop them for leaving after 1 year. It seems to have backfired on the whole program, season record, players development, fans satisfaction. This is what I see.

None of the 4 are really ready to go to the NBA but we know they will go anyway. They all have problems they need to correct before they will be ready to compete with grown men.

And besides not getting these guys ready for the NBA, Cal has hurt several other good players, the program for next year and himself. The only experience I see coming back is Dakari and maybe a little with Hawkins.

Lee and Willis will be like starting their first year since they have learned very little. Cal has developed Poythress into a 4 year player by how he is using him. He mainly stands in the corner until someone shoots the ball or moves out if someone needs to pass the ball. He would have been a lot better off leaving after 1 year. But my opinion is he may not have the basketball IQ to ever make it on a NBA roster.

I haven't figured Willie out yet. He can look like superman at times and then look like little king marmaduke at others.

At least Johnson has had some minutes but he will still be a work in progress if he returns next year.

We could end up with only 5 returning players next year with 4 incoming freshmen. Maybe if that is all Cal has he will be able to handle that number better than the 12 he had this year. I really hope he doesn't get any more top players for next year and signs a couple 4 year guys.

We have been seeing all the schools that have offered or shown interest in the kif from Lafayette HS in Lexington but so far no word whether UK is even interested. I think this is the kind of players he needs to finish this years recruiting with.

I am ready to just finish this season and get on with business. I don't think we will have any guys coming in with such a high rating as these guys had this year which may allow Cal to build some experience in the guys who don't start.

Posts: 14181 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-12-2014 03:19 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WCS, will make a team as the NBA is real short on centers and there is a place for him. It will be up to him how far he goes and he will get a chance to show what he can do.

--------------------

BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 04-02-2014 11:54 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love bumping up topics like this to look at hindsight.

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-02-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see what you mean. I rather enjoyed reading it again. Wonder if some of those who were in despair are still grieving?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36273 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-02-2014 01:43 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness I had not posted one of my asinine opinions of this particular thread. I will admit to being one of those in despair at the time of this post.
Posts: 5412 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-02-2014 02:04 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I see what you mean. I rather enjoyed reading it again. Wonder if some of those who were in despair are still grieving?

I personally believe it is below the dignity of this site, which I have really enjoyed over the years to continue the "I told you so" rhetoric of the last few days.

I did and still do have concerns with some of the things we saw from this year's and last year's teams. I did and still do think that some of our players have left for the NBA too soon. I did and still do think Cal has not handled some players and their development the right way. I expressed those concerns and reservations.

Having said that, I am thoroughly enjoying this post-season with our UK Wildcats. I love these kids and think (as I have mentioned more than once) they are great kids. In my opinion I can disagree with how Cal does some things and still love the Wildcats and be a supportive fan.

I suppose there are others who do not believe so. I personally don't like or appreciate the "I told you so" sentiment. So, I'll bid you guys farewell for at least awhile. I'll see how I feel in a few months. Either way, Go Cats.

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

Posts: 1806 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 04-02-2014 02:36 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've usually shared the same view of the 'One and Done' model as bbr, but everyone has an opinion. Just like bbr, I love the team and what it's accomplishing in the postseason.
But that doesn't change my mind about wanting to see success using multiple-year players, and to see some of the starters come back for another year or two. Reality is that is not going to happen because of the NBA money awaiting high-to-mid first round selections in the NBA draft coming up.
I would also like to see Cal change his recruiting style a little bit to not select all MCD All-Americans and to pick 2 or 3 from the 30-60 rated category. In other words, get a couple guys who can play their way into the starting lineup without being projected a 'One and Done'.
AS long as Cal is able to recruit the best players and fill his lineup with 'O and D' freshmen, that is what he's going to do. He loves sending kids to the NBA more than anything else that I've heard him say.
I will bask in our success using the 'O and D' players, but I feel for guys like Hood and (hopefully not) Willis, who get recruited over and never see much playing time. I think that's why we lost Kennard to Duke. He saw the writing on the wall, so to speak. So any player thinking about coming to KY better ask himself, "If I'm not good enough to start and play major minutes as a freshman, will I ever see much playing time?"
Because he knows he's going to get recruited over with the next incoming 'O and D' class.
I don't have to like Cal's recruiting philosophy to remain a loyal UK fan. Hell, he gets us in the Final Four 3 years out of 5. Who wouldn't take that?

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 04-02-2014 02:40 PM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigbluerev:
quote:

I personally believe it is below the dignity of this site, which I have really enjoyed over the years to continue the "I told you so" rhetoric of the last few days.

I disagree. I think that it will be inspirational should we fall into another slump. If we ever get down again, it will be like, "Look what happened in 2014". Same as the Cal critics said that other young teams did well because they had an older player on the team to hold them together. Yeah, Anthony Davis needed Darius Miller SO MUCH.

Fred

[ 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: BlueCollarMan ]

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-02-2014 03:18 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I did not see the "bumping" and new comments of this thread as a "I told you so" or as bbr said in another thread, a dig at any one. Just my opinion.
Posts: 5412 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-02-2014 04:01 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rev, if I hurt your feelings, I apologize. I guess I have a warped sense of humor, but I saw a lot of humor in re-reading this thread. I hope you didn't think I was singling you out. You had plenty of company.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36273 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com