TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Young doesn't know one Wichita player

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Young doesn't know one Wichita player
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-22-2014 10:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think sometimes these reporters take advantage of the players with some of their questions. I would have thought however the team would have by now had practices and meetings on all the players and tendencies of all the Wichita players.

Poythress is a sophomore and has learned how to handle press questions and you can tell by what he had to say.

Perhaps nothing says more about the Kentucky-Wichita State matchup than UK freshman James Young admitting he could not name one player on Wichita State.

Not one player off a team that went to the Final Four last year. Not one player off the nation’s only unbeaten team. Not one player on the Midwest Region’s No. 1 team. He didn’t even know that Andrew Wiggins’ brother, Nick, played there after playing with and against Andrew Wiggins in all-star games last year when Wiggins was also being recruited at UK.

“I’ve seen clips of them every now and then on ESPN, but it feels like just another game that we just have to keep playing,” said Young.

But he doesn’t know even one Wichita State player?

“I have not really heard of anybody,” Young said.

Obviously, CBS-TV has a different approach to Sunday’s Kentucky-Wichita State game here. That’s why it is the marquee game in CBS’ Sunday schedule and will tip off about 2:45 p.m. EST. The network understands the drama of having the nation’s only unbeaten team going against a historic program like Kentucky that came into the season No. 1 and was projected by some as possibly going unbeaten. And a program where UK fans know players long before they arrive on campus — and opponents know the names as well.

Sophomore Alex Poythress thinks the Shockers, who will have a huge edge in fan support based on attendance Friday when they routed Cal Poly 64-37, will feel the pressure just as the Cats have many times during his two seasons.

“They have veteran players and a lot of talent,” Poythress, who had watched Wichita State play, said. “But the record doesn’t mean anything to us at this point. It’s going to be a big test for us and we’ll be pumped up to play. I feel like the target is on their back, not ours. They have all the pressure on them to keep winning every game. The pressure is off us.

“We just have to go play. We can show all those doubting us what we can do. I am sure there are plenty of doubters, but people doubt everybody. But we don’t doubt ourselves and we know we can do this.”

Link

[ 03-22-2014, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-22-2014 10:56 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal spends more time trying to improve us rather than confusing players with what the other team does.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123969 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-23-2014 10:53 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MH, that sounds good but in reality do you think we have improved since the beginning of the year? If we have it isn't by much and a couple players it's hard to see any improvement, Young and Poythress to name a couple.

We did play a lot better against Florida which is a good sign and if we can have a good showing today against Wichita you may be right. Hope you are right and we win it all, that would be terrific.

[ 03-23-2014, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
2milesfromRupp
Recruit
Member # 12640

posted 03-23-2014 10:59 AM      Profile for 2milesfromRupp   Email 2milesfromRupp   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope WSU has been well scouted and we have run over and over how to operate against them.

The one thing you have to give to pitino was give him a couple days to get ready for a team during tournament time and he would have all strengths and tendancies scouted and an answer to most of them all.

I hope to see that from Cal and UK today. If so, we will win this game.

--------------------
I'd walk 2 miles to see the CATS at Rupp

Posts: 22 | From: 2milesfromRupp | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com