TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Playbook Problems at UK Football Spring Practice

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Playbook Problems at UK Football Spring Practice
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-06-2021 07:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Players and coaches alike have praised Liam Coen’s innovative offense throughout Kentucky football spring practice. What they have failed to mention is exactly how difficult it is to implement the new scheme. Today that changed as Kentucky’s offensive coordinator lamented the lack of playbook comprehension.

“We definitely need to get into our books and learn this install better than we did today,” said Coen. “It’s huge. At the next level if you don’t have your iPad on you, you’re probably going to get fined. That’s the reality.

“We have guys that need to get in their book. You don’t have enough time for an hour meeting and then go out on the field and expect to do it. They gotta get in their books, study it and get in extra work. At the end of the day that’s something that needs to get done when you’re behind like we are getting an offense in. The defense has been running the same system for five years, so the expectations are high.”

The bar has been raised for everyone, yet all of the players, regardless of experience, are on the same playing field. The playbook is new to the entire offense. Some of the experienced players haven’t done enough to operate at full speed, while freshmen that arrived this spring have made a smooth transition into college football.

“(Running back) La’Vell Wright is a kid, midyear enrollee freshman who’s supposed to be taking geometry class right now and that kid has done an unbelievable job learning the offense, knowing what he’s supposed to do, alignment, assignment just as well as some of those older kids. Reps and game reps are things he’s missing without a doubt, but in terms of understanding what we’re trying to get accomplished, some of those younger guys have definitely stepped up and done a nice job,” Coen said.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-07-2021 10:09 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not good for the OC to already be calling out the players for basically being stupid.

This might not end well.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-08-2021 11:42 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder how many of these kids who play sports could actually qualify for college if they had to do it on academic merit?

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9785 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-08-2021 12:54 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say not likely at all. At least, not many of them.

[ 04-08-2021, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-08-2021 03:58 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have noticed that in the past, when UK football was a joke, we had a large number of our guys on Academic All-SEC teams, and we got a lot of Community Service awards.

Now, we get more guys on the SEC all-star teams (good!), but I haven't noticed too many academic honors. However, we do still get some community service honors.

So, between Great Players, Great Academics, or Great Character, you can pick any two. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com