TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Takeaways from this week’s Mark Stoops Show

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Takeaways from this week’s Mark Stoops Show
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2020 11:18 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a few of them:

Film review was frustrating
While the team is moving forward, Stoops had to take a step back and discuss the difficult loss in depth on the call-in show.

As expected, reviewing the film was an unenjoyable experience for the coaching staff and players, specifically with how the Wildcats started the game.

“It’s frustrating. I own my frustration in the game, and I’d like to say I’ve gotten better through the years,” Stoops said. “Just like I tell the team, adjust and overcome, and we’ve done that. First play of the game, we didn’t leverage the ball. They get a 12-yard gain, and they’re off and running. Later, we leveraged that same play two, three, four different ways, and they gained nothing. Then they get off, go down and score, get you off-balanced, and then we go rip off the run. We’re about to score and match it, then we have the silly deal with AJ [Rose getting tackled after the premature celebration]. Then we don’t get it in again on the goal line. It’s just, the frustration sets in right away. You feel like you’re chasing it all game.”

As a whole, Stoops feels Kentucky played a great game as a whole, but a select few individual errors ended up costing them. With a complete effort for four quarters, the Wildcats could have come out on top.

“We don’t play great at the beginning, don’t play great in the middle after we take the game over for a while,” he said. “We’ve just got to do it for four quarters, because we’ve done some exceptional things at times.”

“Blame goes around”
Instead of pointing fingers at any particular coach, player, or position group, Stoops said the entire team from top to bottom deserved a part of the blame.

“That blame goes around. I try to be very honest and own it,” Stoops said. “You have to look at the scheme first, did we put our players in a position to be successful? There were definitely things we needed to do defensively, things we would have changed defensively. Brad White has done a remarkable job, and the defensive coaches. But yes, schematically, there were certain things schematically we were off on, or they were going so fast we couldn’t get that in. The blame goes around.”

Stoops compared Kentucky’s situation in the SEC to the NFL, noting that the margin of error is minimal.

“Our margin for error is low,” he said. “It’s like a pro league, look at the parity in the NFL. Playoff teams go .500. … That’s what I was getting at. One play here, one player here, one bad call here. There’s enough blame to go around. That’s not an excuse, that’s a fact.”

The kicking job is up in the air
After one missed field goal and one extra point from Matt Ruffolo on Saturday, Mark Stoops says the starting kicker position will be reevaluated moving forward.

Still, though, the UK head coach feels Ruffolo’s mistakes are correctable, noting it was a slight technique issue.

“Everything is open. We always look at the best option, absolutely,” he said. “I have confidence in [Ruffolo], we talked and looked at it. He was slightly off in his technique, nothing that he can’t fix.”

“Do Your Job”
Legendary NFL head coach Bill Belichick has lived by the phrase “Do your job” with the New England Patriots over the years, noting that if every player on the team does their part and plays their specific role with discipline, you win games.

Following Kentucky’s individual issues against Ole Miss, Stoops used that comparison for his own team.

“Listen, this is the most selfless sport there is. You have to have 11 guys doing exactly what they’re supposed to do and trusting them,” he said. “I think it’s Bill Belichick, don’t quote me exactly on that. We all know he says “do your job.” I read it recently, he also said [something like], “If they do what we tell them to on every play, if they do their job on every play, we win.” Please don’t misquote me, I’m not Bill Belichick, but it’s true.

“The point is, if all 11 guys in our sport, if anyone goes rogue or says, “I want to make a play [for myself]…” One example, and I’m not going to say any names, but it’s something people don’t see.”

Stoops said there was one play in particular that this situation was true, highlighting a mistake from a defensive lineman that led to a 30-yard gain for Ole Miss.

“We got gutted for like a 30-yard run, and it’s all because someone just wanted to get up the field and do something,” Stoops said. “He totally got cut out of his gap. I mean, 30 yards! Everybody knows Ruff missed a kick, but what about that play? That led to a touchdown. If we all do our job, it’s 2nd and 10, maybe we stop them and they don’t score.

“But nobody sees that, because it’s a defensive lineman going rogue. You just can’t do that, you can’t be selfish. You have to trust your teammates. Our team is good, I’m not saying they’re selfish, but it’s a play here, play there.”

Max Duffy is still the best punter in college football
After being named to the Ray

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 10-07-2020 02:05 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel his pain. Watching the game was painful. I wish Chance Poor would be the kicker in college that he was in high school. It’d be great if he won a game or two with a FG. Mistakes (us sometimes and the refs sometimes) have cost us big time, but maybe they can right the ship. Go Big Blue!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-07-2020 07:12 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In both games the line judge was on the sideline bending to the right or left trying to see the runner to see if he was across the line. That is why we didn't score on either of those calls. The man could not get a clear view of the runner to see if the plane was broken. Also evidently none of the cameras had a definite look when he crossed the plane. No visual proof, no score. Poor decision making on the part of the 8 men in stripes because o where they were located when the ball broke the plane. Shame shame on the SEC refs. They need to go to some remedial training of how to position yourself when the ball is run into the line.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 10-09-2020 08:49 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Rodriguez TD was a no doubter. A blind man could have seen he clearly crossed the plane. AJ’s (Who shouldn’t have been in the game after his showboating run) forward progress was stopped before the defense slapped the ball out of his hand. Officiating has been pitiful, but so has our defense.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com