TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Florida, the litmus test for the season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Florida, the litmus test for the season
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-09-2019 09:21 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Will Kentucky win 9 or 10 games this season? Will they be able to get ranked in the top 25 in the polls? So many SEC teams are high in the polls, it is difficult for any of the other SEC teams to get ranked, because they wouldn't have room for any of the other teams. That is a fact, this early in the season.

We will find out this Saturday, when Kentucky plays Florida in Lexington. ESPN gameday will be there. That is how big a game this is. Nobody will pick the Kentucky to win.

UK just lost Wilson. The secondary is very, very inexperienced.

The positives are that the back up QB, Sawyer Smith, is no slouch and looked poised against Eastern Michigan, but also had some missed reads. He is a more accurate passer, but he is not as good at RPO (run pass option ). He doesn't have the elusiveness. That being said, after losing Wilson on a fluke play, the team can't afford to lose option two to an injury. I would think the staff wants him to keep his scrambling to a minimum. I would suspect every team will be looking to get pressure on him.

Corker, a safety who was making big plays Saturday, had a targeting call reversed and he will not have to sit out the first half of the Florida game. That is huge. Also, Phil Hoskins, a starting D lineman, is supposed to return to action, after missing the first two games. How does that help? It should help against the run and also to get a push up the middle against the Gator's QB.

Florida's top receiver is out for 6 weeks and they also have a top DB out for the game.

Neither of those losses equal out for losing Terry Wilson.

Last season, I wonder how many fans thought that Kentucky would finally end the losing streak to Florida. The football gurus didn't think so either. It is the same this season.

This is the pivotal game of the season for the Cats. Beat Florida and get ranked. If they do, they will have some serious momentum going into the game against Miss State. If they lose, they have a chance to go on a two game slide and the chance of keeping the winning momentum is in serious jeopardy.

How good is Florida who is ranked #9? Not sure. They beat Miami. Miami is 0 - 2 and lost to North Carolina this past Saturday. Florida blew out their last opponent, an OVC team. Will the Gator's be over confident, coming in ranked 9th? Will the Cats be ready to start their own win streak against the Gators?

Go Cats!

[ 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 09-09-2019 09:47 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ESPN Gameday will be at Iowa vs. Iowa State.

SEC Network will be broadcasting their gameday from the Florida vs. Kentucky game.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2248 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-09-2019 10:56 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thabks for the correction.

By the way, Iowa vs Iowa St? Really? hmmm

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-10-2019 03:10 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe we go to the ground and pound run game. Don't turn the ball over, control time of possession and we should have a shot.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-10-2019 06:57 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know... the new QB has a hot arm. I say we keep the same offense with the exception of no called QB runs. Certainly controlling the run game will put us into a position to stay competitive (assuming our defense holds up), but I am sure we will need to air it out frequently to keep close on the scoreboard.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13604 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-10-2019 10:35 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am aware that Mr. Smoke is a freshman. But, I would like to see him in the wildcat, on occasion.

The way he picks holes, reminds me of Snell. I am not saying he will ever be as dominant as Snell. We may never see another RB as dominant as Snell. Just saying that Smoke would be a good option to have in the Wildcat.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-10-2019 07:17 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BD you noticed it also. I was saying at the end of the game give it to Smoke! From what I've seen up close is that Smoke will be the better option this season, unless Rose changes his style. Rose puts his head down and runs to where the play called for. He doesn't keep his head up looking for the opening like Bennie did. That is what Smoke does which will make him a better yard gainer, unless the line opens the hole where Rose is running every time. Look for Smoke to get more PT if the coaches are watching what is transpiring on the field.
Posts: 14140 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 09-15-2019 09:18 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seemed to me when Franks went down that we changed our strategy on both offense and defense, trying to just milk the clock then entire 4th quarter. I think this loss falls on the coaching staff. What a terrible loss for a game i think we should've won easily.
Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com