TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Surprised.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Surprised.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-30-2018 01:32 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
About two things actually.

I'm pleasantly surprised to be 5-0. I thought this would be a pretty good team but I can't believe many would have thought we would be undefeated at this point. This is a pretty darn good team.

Surprise two is what appears to be the lack of enthusiasm on here for this team. A few of the hard core are posting occasionally but not many. I don't consider myself a fanatical UK football fan but I'm sure enjoying this team. We're not going to win a National Championship but I no longer have to look at my feet when talking college football and UK.

[ 09-30-2018, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-30-2018 01:56 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen. We don't have a national contender, but we have a legitimate shot at winning our division. I haven't dared to think such thoughts for... ever?

It would be sweet to add not only a decent bowl game, but the SEC championship game to our season. Playing 14 games would do wonders for the program. The extra preparation time and experience will serve our younger players well, and set the tone for next year.

I really like our defense -- it is strong and deep (but I don't like the idea of playing A&M without Kash Daniels), and will carry us far. But our offense is dependent upon the extraordinary skills of Benny Snell. Take him out with an injury, and we will still have a good running game, but it will be a notch lower. We go as far as Benny can take us this year.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 09-30-2018 05:38 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are now the 13th-ranked team in the country! Who would've thunk it?

One concern with this team - it looks like USC showed how to stop Kentucky's offense. Put 8 or 9 guys in the box and dare us to beat you with our passing game. Our offense was abysmal in the second half when USC did that. Hopefully, like someone else mentioned, we were just taking it easy, trying to run the ball and just keep the clock moving.

Anyway, GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 10321 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-30-2018 06:21 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was wondering when was the last time we started 5-0 and found this.

2007: Won first five games, got to 6-1 and No. 8 in the top 25 with a win over No. 1 LSU but lost four of final five games in the regular season before a Music City Bowl win over Florida State to finish at 8-5.

OUCH! However, most seasons we would consider that a huge success and before the season started most of us would have taken this. Not now.

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-30-2018 06:23 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm excited, this team has already exceeded expectations. I thought this team would be good, but not undefeated at this point.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-30-2018 06:43 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And now for some perspective: There have been decades where a 5-win season was considered good.

Things are definitely lookin' up.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-30-2018 07:19 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The three games I am worried about are Texas A & M on the road, Missouri on the road, and Georgia.

I think the rest of them are wins.

I see Kentucky having a minimum of 9 wins, after this quick start.

One of the three toughest left on the schedule is next Saturday against the Aggies.

If they can beat them, I see a 10 win season.

Tenn is horrible and UL is down

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 09-30-2018 07:20 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never said much about football here. I guess it's because I'm sort of a bandwagon fan. When they are winning, I'm all in. When they are losing, I find no joy in it. I don't like to advertise that fact by being silent in off years (which have been many), and then run my mouth when I'm enjoying these wins, which I am.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-30-2018 07:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We play Texas A&M at their place next and they are 3-2 for the season losing to Clemson and Bama.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-30-2018 07:35 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always pull for Kentucky. It has taken a long time for them to put a season like this together. It is hard to believe the coaches, because they give the same pre season hype, and then they come up short. I wasn't optimistic about the Florida game and they proved me wrong. I wasn't confident in the Miss State game and they proved me wrong. This team is not the average Kentucky team.

Even when the Cats don't have a great season, I don't root for other teams, but I do enjoy other star players.

Leonard Fornette is and example. I loved watching him trying to truck over the d guys.

It is a good for all long suffering Kentucky fans to see the team have a good season.

On a side note: Vince Morrow has said recruiting has been a lot easier now, that Kentucky is ranked and they have the winning streak.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 10-01-2018 05:03 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm excited, this team has already exceeded expectations. I thought this team would be good, but not undefeated at this point.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-01-2018 06:15 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted as much as I usually do because I'm in the middle of an outage. I normally post play by play even, but I missed the first few weeks and we started winning so I thought "WHY JINX US NOW?"

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123954 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 10-01-2018 07:08 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
m Hamilton, and if you start posting play by play now you know who we will blame if they lose. [Wink]
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 10-01-2018 02:46 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm:
quote:
I have never said much about football here. I guess it's because I'm sort of a bandwagon fan. When they are winning, I'm all in. When they are losing, I find no joy in it. I don't like to advertise that fact by being silent in off years (which have been many), and then run my mouth when I'm enjoying these wins, which I am.
This pretty much describes my feelings as well.

This season (so far) has been great and worthy of pride, but we've seen this before...many times. I want a program that is competitive every year, sorta like Va. Tech...don't have to be great every year, but the opponent, regardless, better come ready to play.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-01-2018 04:11 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is my fifth season of working at the home games. I love working in the middle of the students and the families. I think you get more cheering and louder noise from both of these groups. There is a student in the first row who has been coming to the games with no shirt. His back starts the season with 12-0 written in large letters on his back and he has Benny for Heisman on his chest. They showed him a couple times on TV at the MSSt game but don't believe they showed him at the USC game. On his chest he had something that maybe they didn't want to show on TV. It said: Beat the C___S. Which is short for Gamecocks but they probably were afraid to show it.
Posts: 14116 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com