TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Cats survive risky QB substitution

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats survive risky QB substitution
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-10-2017 03:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The substitution was scripted. Stephen Johnson started at quarterback Saturday afternoon knowing he would be replaced for Kentucky’s third possession.

It was preordained and pre-explained. Drew Barker would come off the bench to get some game reps without posing a threat to Johnson’s first-string status. And on some levels, it made some sense. If you’re determined to get your backup some experience under fire, when better to do it than in the early stages of a game in which your team is favored by 33 points?

But as Robert Burns reminds us, “the best-laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men gang aft agley.” As Ralph Emerson cautions, “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.” And as an announced (and wildly inflated) crowd of 54,868 observed Saturday afternoon at Kroger Field, there are times when a coach probably ought to call an audible.

Link

[ 09-10-2017, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-11-2017 12:54 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the staff playing the 2nd stringer. No, it didn't work out. It is better to play him now, than to wait to play him if the starter gets hurt.

The team had a whole series of bad luck in the first half of that game. It couldn't gone any worse......maybe it could have....

BS call for targeting, miserable line play allowing sacks and getting pushed around. bad snaps......missed FG...poor coverage on kick offs.

I hope Barker get another chance to get in their. There is only one breather game on the schedule. They have to get a comfortable lead on the other teams, before I think they would put him.

Sad to say, but the line didn't help him much when he was in there. As patch work as the O line may be, they were still playing against a lesser opponent and should have showed better than that.

The O line and the shot gun snap are my main concerns. One errant snap behind your own 20 can lead to quick points for the other team

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cold Spring Cat
Player
Member # 14751

posted 09-11-2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Cold Spring Cat   Email Cold Spring Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Johnson gives us the best chance at winning albeit with a questionable offensive line.

This is a case where Barker lost his chance due to injury and will have to watch from the sidelines.

Posts: 140 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-11-2017 11:12 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was one of the ones wanting Drew Barker at QB, but it is plain to see that we'll live and die with Steven Johnson. He's a good Qb. I was just hoping Barker would light it up like he did in the 1st half against so. Miss last year. One thing I'd like to see are more RPO plays spread the field. Seems to me every running play is a dive play.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-13-2017 12:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barker has played 3 seasons for the Cats and his passing percentage has been exactly 50% each season.

2015- 35-70
2016- 18-36
2017- 1-2

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com