TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops buy out costs!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops buy out costs!
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 09-13-2016 05:53 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To fire Stoops and his staff the cost would be almost 18m. He is here for a while folks!!

and there's more!

UK’s steep financial commitment to Stoops was cemented on Oct. 29, 2014, when Kentucky Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart signed the then-second-year football coach to a six-year, $21.5 million contract extension.

At the time, Stoops had won seven of the 20 games he’d coached at Kentucky.

It is easy now that Stoops (12-26) is off to a worse start than even Bill Curry (14-24) through his first 38 games as Cats coach to wonder what Barnhart and UK were thinking in making such a lucrative promise to a head coach who was still mostly unproven on the field.

[ 09-13-2016, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 09-13-2016 07:03 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like I said in another thread, another great hire and contract given out by Barnhart. How he keeps his job at UK after Gillispie and now the Stoops contract is beyond my comprehension.

The sad part of the Stoops contract is the buy out clause of about 12 million if he is fired.

[ 09-13-2016, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 09-13-2016 08:19 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray the 18m was his buy out of 12m plus his coaching staff's buy outs bring it to 17.9m.

Anyone would get fired for allowing that to happen.

I say fire the AD bring in an up and comer at a lower salary than Barnhart's and use the savings to fire stoops and his who crew!

Problem solved!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 09-13-2016 11:45 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I'm not mistaken, barnhart just got a nice salary increase. [Eek!]
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 09-14-2016 07:55 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the UK Athletics Board supports all these Barnhart hirings and contracts in the coaching ranks. He has not done a very good job for us at UK. The one coach he has hired that is worth his money is Cal and that was through a search committee headed by Mike Pratt after the Gillispie fiasco. We are seeing a lot of dollars wasted by Mitch Barnhart with some of his hirings and wonder how longer the Athletics board will continue to coddle up to him.

[ 09-14-2016, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-14-2016 09:50 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am aware that the majority of posters here watned a squeeky clean morally upright guy as the head coach. I would have taken Petrino in a heart beat. UL is winning games and UK is losing. I don't need the football coach of my alma mater to be this lily white character. He is not my priest. Just like kicking Reggie Meant off the team and not finding a way around the defensive end kid that got kicked out out of the university.

I give Barnhart credit for finally getting some upgrades to football facilities. But, he is so deeply tied to Stoops, who has not produced, it is ridiculous. Unless the team catches fire and starts playing well, they will finish around the 4 to 5 wins mark and the season will be another disaster.

They would have to get a big booster to step up and buy them out. But, who would they get that would be a winner? The only HC available is the Baylor coach. I cant think of another. They had a chance to hire Petrino and ignored him. They had a chance to hire Charlie Strong and ignored him. It was rumored that they had a chance to hire the old ball coach, and they messed up and didnt hire him.

Maybe they need a change at admin level and maybe the next hire will be a winner? I sure don't have any answers.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 09-14-2016 11:34 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't have any answers either, but I am certainly not a "win at all costs" guy. I love to win, but would much rather lose and preserve a good reputation. No sleaze bag for me, thank you.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 09-14-2016 08:56 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was lobbying for Butch Jones to be hired and Kentucky decided on Stoops.

Two weeks later Tennessee hires Butch and the rest is history.

Barnhardt has the tendency to go after the "hot" name (Billy G and Stoops)instead of looking for guys that can actually coach (Cal, prior to the Billy G hire and Butch Jones).

[ 09-14-2016, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-14-2016 09:15 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could have the wrong information. But, I have been led to believe that Butch Jones rejected Kentucky in favor of the Vols. Who they did have a chance to get was Petrino and they passed on him. Jones passed on the Cats.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-14-2016 09:47 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is disturbing to me is:

1. Stoops defense has trouble stopping the run. They are having trouble acquiring quality D linemen and also keeping quality D linemen on the team.

2. The staff appears to be getting out coached. It is very evident that teams are making 2 nd half adjustments that work against the Cats, but the Cats don't seem to be making adjustments that work for them in the 2 nd half of games.

3. Barnhart has given stoops and his staff very large buyouts with no guarantee of success, if he fires them. Furthermore, the AD has not put anything in the contracts that penalize or pay back UK if they decide to leave early. In short, he is paying a high price for no results and if they do get results, they could leave with no penalty. I don't have much knowledge about D1 football coaching contracts, but from this fan's perspective, Barnhart did not seem to have the best interest of the school when he did the contracts.

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-15-2016 02:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The last Kentucky head football coach to have better than a 50% record was Blanton Collier (1954-1961) and he barely made it with a 53% winning record. Scary to say the least.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 09-15-2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
I have been led to believe that Butch Jones rejected Kentucky in favor of the Vols.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com