TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Elam says haters are going to hate.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elam says haters are going to hate.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-21-2016 06:10 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before the Blue-White Game reached halftime, some Kentucky fans were complaining on Twitter about the play of junior nose guard Matt Elam.
Out of shape. Too upright. Not aggressive. Gets pushed out of the way too easy. Lacks intensity.
Elam knows the criticism is there. He picked UK over Alabama and during his first two seasons he has not met the lofty expectations most had for him. He filled in as a starter last year after Melvin Lewis was hurt, and this season Kentucky is counting on him to be the man in the middle of the defensive line.
"That is something I never cared about," said Elam when asked about fan comments. "That is just some guy behind his computer saying how he feels. I know people talk about LeBron (James) and Kobe (Bryant) and look who they are. I don't pay attention to it. I know what it takes to be good."
Apparently his coaches believe him based on what they saw this spring.
“I’ve seen Matt become better fundamentally,” defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot said. “You know, Matt is 6-5 and he’s really big, so one of his weaknesses is he’s got to play low. He’s naturally higher than everybody else, and I think I saw improvement in that throughout the spring. Matt certainly has things that he can get better at, but I think he got better at playing low.”
Head coach Mark Stoops was a bit more blunt.
“I think Matt knows when he’s counted on to be ‘the guy,’ you’ve got to be in shape to play a bunch of snaps and you’ve gotta play at a high level,” Stoops said. “We’re counting on him to be the guy and Matt has made progress in certain areas. He’s certainly strong in the run game; we need to get him in shape where he can handle a bunch of plays and not sub as much. He’s closer. He’s got some work to do.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-21-2016 08:40 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If he had gone to Ala this would be the 1st yr that he would be playing. We needed him immediately so he never got the development that is really required to be on pace to start.

We need to cut him some slack..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-21-2016 11:54 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't hate the young man. I am pulling for him. Hope he has a break out season. He is a very large man. If he gets in better cardio shape, he could work himself into a long term NFL career.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-22-2016 01:23 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure the coachs are doing their best to help Elam get in the best condition possible.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com