TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Schalarman breaks down new offensive linemen

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Schalarman breaks down new offensive linemen
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-03-2016 06:50 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK’s O-line coach broke down each of the new additions:

On Luke Fortner: “Very excited about Luke. He’s a guy that’s played all three spots. He’s played center, guard and tackle. Very smart. He’s athletic, plays basketball as well. So I think he can handle a lot, and I think he can help us in a lot of different spots.”

On Tate Leavitt: “Tackles are so hard to find. You have to find guys with length that are also very athletic, and then strong enough to hold up against the bull rush. Finding a guy, especially a junior-college guy that has a little experience under his belt, is huge. Tate’s very athletic. He’s a guy that can play left tackle, for sure. He’s played a little bit of both throughout his years. So we’ll see how that sorts out going forward in the spring. But, again, loves the game. Trains hard. He’s a film guy. Studies the game. And that’s what you want.

“With junior college guys, (immediate playing time) is the hope. You hope that they can come in and provide early on for you. And we think he can do that. Obviously, getting here in January and going through spring ball, going through the summer session — that should bode very well for him to come in here and help us out.”

On Landon Young: “Thrilled. Landon first came over here — he was going into his sophomore year — had him in camp and he was playing defensive end. One morning before stretches, I went over and said, ‘No, you’re coming with me today. I’m going to work you at offensive tackle.’ Stole him right from under Coach Brumbaugh. … He came over and played tackle that day — went against Denzil Ware — held his own and never had played tackle. So, right then I thought, ‘This guy has a chance to be really special.’ It’s crazy, because he ends up being a five star. We were the first ones to offer him and he committed early. … Being from right here in town, that’s huge. It’s always good to have kids where that Kentucky across the front of their chest means something. With Landon Young, there’s no doubt. Playing for the University of Kentucky is going to be very important to him.”

On Drake Jackson: “The thing I love about Drake is that he is a competitor. He competes. Whatever camp he goes to, whatever combine he goes to, whatever all-star game he goes to, you just see him take his game to another level. And that’s something that — a lot of times, as a college recruiter — it’s hard to project. When those guys go from their setting in high school to college, how are they going to project that game? How are they going to come in here and do against better competition, bigger, faster, stronger guys? Every time Drake has had a chance to go and compete at a high level, he has stepped his game up and done extremely well. He’s a competitor. I’m excited about him. He’s very versatile. He had never played a game at center — full contact football — until the Army All-American Game, and he plays every snap. Goes in there and does a great job. I mean, it’s not as easy as you think. Snap, step, block an All-American. And when you have never done that, getting out there for the first time and doing an exceptional job, being elected a team captain — that just speaks volumes to what he’s all about.”

On Jackson transitioning to center: “It doesn’t always translate. But the thing about Drake is, he’s always come over and worked with me at camps during the summer, so I’ve gotten to put a ball in his hand and see him snap and step and block guys. And so, it’s a little easier to project when you’ve actually worked with a guy and seen him do it and you know that he can. … It’s no different that Jon Toth. Jon Toth hadn’t played much center until his freshman year when we moved him to center. There’s some shaky snaps at first, but he’s done OK for himself.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-03-2016 06:51 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully they will help open up some big holes for our running backs and give out QB's some time to find open receivers.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-04-2016 11:32 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Next season may be one where we can win a few more SEC games. Crossing my fingers.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com