TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Towles to transfer

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Towles to transfer
shoe
Player
Member # 1830

posted 11-29-2015 02:50 PM      Profile for shoe   Email shoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just heard that Towles is going to transfer, Will be elgiable right away being a 5th year senior
Posts: 684 | From: Dayton,Ky | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-29-2015 03:34 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is what he had to say about leaving.

"I would like to thank the University of Kentucky for giving me the opportunity to achieve my childhood dream of playing quarterback for the Wildcats. The last four years have been ones that I will truly cherish for the rest of my life. Although I wish my time here in Lexington could have ended another way, I'm eternally grateful. I've decided to transfer to play my fifth year at another university. Thank you to Coach Stoops, Coach Dawson, Mitch Barnhart, my teammates, the Big Blue Nation and the entire Kentucky Athletics Department for allowing me to achieve my lifelong dream. I will truly bleed blue til the day I die."

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-29-2015 05:04 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds like somebody isn't happy to have been benched.

See ya.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-29-2015 09:00 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The press surrounding the signings of both Towles and Barker was tremendous. It now looks like it was kool-aid were were being enticed to drink of. We need to find a real top QB performer and sign him.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-29-2015 10:08 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A QB looks brilliant if he has a great offensive line protecting him and receivers that can get open and catch balls.

I think we were iffy on almost all of those counts. Joe Montana in his prime would have looked pretty lousy had he suited up for UK this year.

It isn't the QB. It is the team.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 11-29-2015 10:15 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:

It isn't the QB. It is the team.

Tiptree, Very well said. I saw some positives when Barker was out there. He looked accurate and zips that ball. The O line finally stinked up the joint!
Posts: 1495 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-29-2015 10:54 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish Towles well. He represented the University with nothing but class during his four years and the letter he wrote was classy as well.

I'll be a fan no matter where he goes and will root for his success. Who knows he may find a perfect fit and have a successful season under the right coaching staff that can utilize his skill set.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-30-2015 07:30 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He should stay an play TE. That would be his only shot at making the NFL, if that is his goal.

Jalen Whitlow is another QB that should have stayed. He would have made a great receiver. He will not have a chance to play QB in the NFL, either, but insisted on playing QB.

Tim Tebow was offered by several teams to play TE in the NFL and he refused. At least he is making money as a commentator and can avoid the concussions.

Some guys can't get it out of their head that they won't be the QB and leave a team, rather than taking another position.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-30-2015 09:30 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No way is Towles going to play tight end. He is a quarterback and that's what he will play. Hate to see him go but he knows best and wish him well. I'm sure he will do well where ever he goes as he is athletic with a strong arm and if he can improve his ability to stay in the pocket and find receivers he has a chance with his size and athletic ability to at least get a chance to try out for a NFL team.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 11-30-2015 11:06 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cmd, I know you are a big Towles fan, but I completely disagree with your assessment. He had three years to get it done, and failed to do so. If he makes it in (or even to) the NFL, I will be shocked. He may be just fine in a lesser league, like Division II, but he is not SEC material.

(You're still my buddy though!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-30-2015 11:59 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was actually impressed with Towles's arm strength. And he's not that bad of a runner - better than Barker. I agree with Tip - no QB would succeed with this offense unless it's a superb running QB like, say, Michael Vick. We just don't have a lot of talent on this team, both sides of the ball. I think it was unfair to blames Towles with two games left in the season.

[ 11-30-2015, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-01-2015 12:50 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really think the coaching staff should have been giving Barker more PT all season.

No, it is not all Towles' fault. But, it was painfully obvious that he was not the answer at QB. Stoops stayed with him too long, waiting for him to blossom. It just didn't happen.

It is not his arm strength that is the issue. If anything, Towles arm strength is what kept the coaching staff from playing Barker. Accuracy and decision making are his issues. I am guessing that the coaches were betting that he would become more accurate and make quicker, better decisions as the season progressed. They were wrong.

If he can't keep the job as UK's QB, he sure won't be able to land a roster spot on an NFL team as a QB. He is a big kid and really should try to be a TE.

[ 12-01-2015, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-01-2015 12:22 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's really hard to tell how good Towles could be because the offense they tried to stick him in does not match his strength of throwing the ball down the field.

He should look for a team that has more of a pro style offense instead of a mickey mouse junior high type of offense that Kentucky has employed his entire time here. I hate this type of offense.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-02-2015 12:23 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Towles finds a team where they use his strengths he will surprise a whole lot of people. He just needs a line to give him some time to throw the ball and a couple of receivers with enough speed and agility to get open and he will complete a whole lot of passes.

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-02-2015 08:49 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A buddy I work with is a huge Georgia fan. He told me just yesterday that he would love for Towles to play his final season at Georgia.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think this program took a few steps backwards by choosing Barker over Towles.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 12-02-2015 12:14 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think it would make any difference, with the style we play. Blame it on whoever you want. It's still a fact that Kentucky has never been a football school, and probably never will. Our hopes won't change a thing.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-05-2015 11:22 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sadly, Norm is right especially in both Norm's and my lifetime. You younger TCD'ers have a shot, a small one but still a shot.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-06-2015 08:00 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
A buddy I work with is a huge Georgia fan. He told me just yesterday that he would love for Towles to play his final season at Georgia.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think this program took a few steps backwards by choosing Barker over Towles.

I don't see how anyone can think that way. Towles not only lacks accuracy, but he just doesn't have it between the ears. If he was smart, he would change positions. He has not shot to make a NFL roster at QB.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-06-2015 09:46 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Towels was 6th in SEC passing yardage this season and we were tied for 10th in the league in wins. You give him a good line to protect him and some decent receivers and he would be right up at the top of the SEC passers.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-06-2015 09:50 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where is he ranked in regards to interceptions..

It will be interesting to see where he goes and if he can earn and keep a starting QB spot with a D1 team.

[ 12-06-2015, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-06-2015 09:56 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With the porous line we had this season Towles is lucky to be alive.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-06-2015 09:21 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't feel he will get picked by a D1 school.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com