TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Takes a better man

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Takes a better man
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-28-2015 03:33 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
than me to be a UK football fan. I tried, I really did. Color me done. I refuse to be suckered in again for another year.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-28-2015 03:41 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, I have always rooted for all things UK but must admit, this football team have taxed my patience. At least we don't have to watch them anymore this season. Bama has always been my top football team to watch so I still have one college team to root for this season.

[ 11-28-2015, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-28-2015 03:54 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy,

Amen. Stoops is a joke of a head coach. I remember going back and forth with a poster who had crowned Stoops as an Elite College Coach when he got hired and tried to convince everyone that UK would be in a BCS Bowl game by year 3. I tried to bet him but he never took me up on the offer and I even extended it out to 5 years. I told him that UK would be lucky to get to 7-5 or 8-4 type season under Stoops and IF he could achieve that he would leave UK for greener pastures.

Hopefully UK puts him out to pasture. This program is going backward on the field under his leadership, er lack of leadership. I give him credit for being able to recruit. He can bring in talent, but he simply can't handle the duties that come with developing that talent and running a program. He is one of those guys who is a much better assistant than head coach.

[ 11-28-2015, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-28-2015 04:09 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, nice to see you posting again. I do remember your posts about Stoops. I have to admit I was somewhat suckered in by his pedigree but did say we were giving a lot of credit to a man who had never been a head coach.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-28-2015 04:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We haven't had a winning coach at Kentucky since 1961, it isn't like Stoops is the first losing coach. Kentucky is what it is, a losing football program.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 11-28-2015 04:40 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't see any BCS bowls in the future but I did think we'd win 6 games this year with a somewhat easy schedule. It is obvious to me that Stoops is in over his head as a HC.

[ 11-28-2015, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: EnterpriseCat ]

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-28-2015 04:46 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Until we stop running a high school offense, we will never be competitive in the SEC. I blame that on the coaches. I thought going with Barker this late in the season was a mistake, too. I thought Barker was terrible today. Not saying it would've mattered, but we should've lead 28-7 at the half. Barker is a scared little boy when playing against decent competition. He cannot hit a receiver on the run to save his life. It just sucks that we couldn't get two wins throughout the last seven games. Our offensive and defensive lines are terrible as well. Don't know if that's the coaching or that we just have sub-standard players.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-28-2015 04:48 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
We haven't had a winning coach at Kentucky since 1961, it isn't like Stoops is the first losing coach. Kentucky is what it is, a losing football program.

Catmandoo, unfortunately that pretty well sums it up.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 11-28-2015 04:50 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bringing Eliot with him from FSU was a mistake and giving him the DC job - further bringing an OC in without him not even calling the plays at his former school was a mistake.

Just hasn't a clue as to what whom to hire! A former head coach or experienced OC/DC would have done wonders!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-28-2015 06:11 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
..............and most likely we'll have to suffer through another year of this. We need to start over with a whole new coaching staff but I just don't see Mitch firing them.
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-28-2015 06:23 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't Mitch just extend Stoops contract within the last year or so?????
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 11-28-2015 07:01 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No way Stoops goes anywhere after the extension he got. We just have to hope he fires some assistants (O line coach) and improves his in game coaching. I haven't been impressed with 2nd half coaching in any game this year.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-28-2015 07:14 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A KSR article pretty much sums up the UK football situation:

quote:

After watching Kentucky fail to move the ball in the second half, the most obvious target is Shannon Dawson; however, Stoops voiced his support for his offensive coordinator after the game.

“Yes, I absolutely have confidence in Shannon Dawson. He’s a very good coach, very knowledgeable. It gets frustrating for him, believe me. It’s the same way, as a defensive play caller, when things aren’t going well. It gets difficult. Let me put it to you that way. It gets hard and it gets frustrating and guys need to step up and make plays.”

“Whether you’re an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator, there’s only so many good play calls. At some point, you have to win some one-on-one battles. I have a lot of confidence in Shannon. He’ll get the ship corrected and straightened out and get the guys competing at a higher level and we need to play better across the board.”

In fact, Stoops refused to comment on any coaching changes, telling reporters he doesn’t want to make any emotional judgments.

“I’m not going to get into that right now. You know, I’m disappointed in this loss, as all you and our fans. And everybody that cares about Kentucky is disappointed and frustrated. Believe me, I am. And we’ll look at all aspects of our program to make it a program that everybody’s proud of.”
Where do we go from here?

“Five wins is not good enough. And I’m tired of the woulda, coulda, shoulda, just as the fans are,” Stoops said. “And this won’t hurt our momentum in recruiting and developing our team and our program, we’re going to continue to get better, believe me.”

I like Mark Stoops, but after yet another spectacular collapse, it’s getting harder and harder to keep the faith in this staff. For the second straight season, Kentucky is 5-7. Technically, there’s a chance they can still go to a bowl, but based on today’s performance, they don’t deserve it.
quote:

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-28-2015 08:04 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What else could he say? And time just keeps rolling on. Next year I am saying again we win only 4 games.
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com