TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Drew Barker to start against Charlotte

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drew Barker to start against Charlotte
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-16-2015 04:37 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky coach Mark Stoops has named redshirt freshman Drew Barker the starting quarterback for Saturday's home non-conference game against Charlotte.

Stoops announced Monday that Barker would replace junior Patrick Towles, who started Kentucky's first 10 games but has struggled in recent weeks. Both QBs played in last week's 21-17 loss at Vanderbilt but neither surpassed 70 yards passing as the Wildcats (4-6, 2-6 Southeastern Conference) dropped their 5th straight.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 11-17-2015 08:31 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Play him the whole game. Let him get into a rhythm and see what he can do.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-17-2015 07:11 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Charlotte isn't a real test. He has to play a SEC game for a fair test.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-17-2015 09:54 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think switching QB's at this point in the season is a mistake. I would stick with Towles as I really don't think he's the main problem. Our offensive line is just not that good, and honestly, I get so sick of our play calling.
Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-17-2015 10:01 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul I agree with you but we are far and few between. It's our defense that really needs to be revamped like you point out along with the offensive line.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-18-2015 07:35 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't believe there are Towles' fans on this board. He has had two seasons to be a great QB and it just hasn't happened.

Barker should have been played more all season. I don't understand the coaches not playing Barker more. They have finally realized that they have to try another QB to give the team its last chance at being bowl eligible.

Louisville is still playing much better than Kentucky. They need to play as many of the bench guys as possible this week and make sure they give any of the starters a chance to heal up from injuries.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-18-2015 09:02 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not a Towles or Barker fan. My problem is the switch at this point in the season. If Barker was much better than Towles, I kind of feel that the coaching staff should've seen this a long time ago - not with two games to go in the season. With receivers dropping balls and our QB always on the run, I don't think Barker is gonna make a difference at all.

Both of these guys are from N Ky, and not much talent really ever comes out of this part of the state - other than Shawn Alexander, no one of impact that I can think of. The hefty lefty might be the second best after Alexander, and that's not saying a whole lot.

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-18-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of people who think that you should never change the QB. Stoops is one of them. It took the next to last game of the season to change his mind.

I wouldn't get caught up in geography about what makes a kid a great player. Whatever it is going on with Towles, he is not improving. It doesn't matter how the other kid looks in practice at this point, it is time to give him a whole game and let him get some action under his belt.

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-18-2015 12:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Stoops thought that you never should change quarterbacks why the heck is he going to make a change on Saturday? It's us Monday morning quarterbacks that don't know a darn thing but to constantly complain what ever he does. We seem to forget just how hard his job is coaching football at a school like Kentucky that plays in the SEC. We haven't had a wining coach at Kentucky since Bear Bryant back in the 40s and early 50s! That over half a century ago and most of our fans weren't even born then.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-18-2015 03:41 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
If Stoops thought that you never should change quarterbacks why the heck is he going to make a change on Saturday? It's us Monday morning quarterbacks that don't know a darn thing but to constantly complain what ever he does. We seem to forget just how hard his job is coaching football at a school like Kentucky that plays in the SEC. We haven't had a wining coach at Kentucky since Bear Bryant back in the 40s and early 50s! That over half a century ago and most of our fans weren't even born then.

You don't think any coach should ever make a change at QB? How many teams have torched Kentucky when they put the back up in against them? I don't know the exact number, but it seems like a lot!

Personally, I think he should have changed QB way earlier in the season. I am very disappointed that he waited until the end of the season to try and stop the bleeding. It reminds of an alcoholic or a druggie that refuses to see that he has a problem. Deny it and it doesn't exist.

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-18-2015 07:40 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm willing to bet the ranch that Barker isn't the solution to our poor play. I'm just not sold on him being an SEC-caliber QB.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-18-2015 08:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He better get good numbers in his start as we are playing the 2-8 Charlotte 49ers. Check out their schedule and record.

Georgia State W
Presbyterian W
Middle Tennessee L
Florida Atlantic L
Old Dominion L
Southern Miss L
Marshall L
Texas-San Antonio L
FIU L
Texas San Antonio L

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-22-2015 09:12 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barker's numbers were not great with a 129 yards passing which is just short of 4.4 yards a throw. Hopefully that will improve against Louisville and only time will tell.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com