TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Not sure why they looked so bad

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not sure why they looked so bad
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-04-2015 06:21 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats should have rolled over Eastern. The only good thing about that game is that they won. It was difficult to watch.

For some reason, the coaches will not let the back up QB play, even when the starter is having an off night. I am not a D1 coach, but I would have certainly given the back up QB a couple of series, especially in the 2nd quarter.

The only advantage that I can see for this team playing like turds against Eastern, is that maybe Auburn will look past them. But, if the Cats don't play better, they won't be able to beat Vandy, much less Auburn. As bad as Auburn has played this season, they would rout the team that showed up last night.

After the Missouri win, one would think that the team was heading in the right direction. Then they lay an egg like this. Missouri just beat South Carolina 24 to 10, so they aren't that bad of a team and are 4-1. Doesn't make sense.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 10-04-2015 08:45 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing to note is that the EKU team was fired up to play on the loss of their teammate last week. They had the emotional fire to win for him. Maybe we hadn't counted on that and overlooked the fact that they weren't a bad team and were going to play every down as though it was their last. Just a thought. No doubt we looked flat. Not sure the reason for it.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-04-2015 09:00 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom, Towles completed almost 70% of his passes for 329 yards. That's a awfully good stat and was the one good stat in the game that carried us. If you want to look at something that needed to be better look at our running game which only gained us 55 yards the whole game. It worked out to be only 1.5 yards per carry. If you look at our defense they gave up over 360 yards. You look at all the stats and by far Towles passing was what "won" us the game. Why would you want to take the one player out of the game that was carrying us? I bet Eastern would have been elated to see Towles on the bench.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-04-2015 10:58 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Towles stunk it up in the 2nd quarter. Yes, he played well in the 4th, when they needed to come back. But he under threw a lot of balls and flat out gave the ball away.

I am not saying that he doesn't have talent. I am saying the coaches hole every player to the highest standard, except the QB. They are going to ride on his back, regardless if he is in a funk or not.

It is is the same in baseball or basketball. If a player is struggling, you throw another guy in there and see if he can give the team a spark.

It is a good thing they have a bye week to get players healthy. But, in my opinion, the coach is going to lose his 2nd string QB to transfer, next year, because he refuses to play him , when it is obvious he should get a shot.

There is no way Eastern should have took the Cats to OT. They are not that good. UK played down to their level and sucked, most of the game. The QB was a huge reason they got behind. Not only the ints, but also taking an eternity to throw the ball and also taking sacks for huge losses. There was a big chunk of the game that he played like a freshman who had never taken a college snap.

[ 10-04-2015, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 10-04-2015 07:02 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Patrick Towles’ first half was awful

Patrick better be happy he had the second half he did, because that first half? Woof. 10-19 for 121 yards, zero touchdowns and two interceptions. Florida Patrick was back. With each bad throw and sack, the calls for Drew Barker became deafening. His offensive line wasn’t doing him any favors, but Patrick dug a hole for himself in the first two quarters.

Fortunately…

Silver lining: Patrick’s second-half and overtime performance may have saved him his job. 19-23 for 222 yards and three touchdowns. Missouri Patrick was back! Can we keep him?

Also, I love you, Patrick, but can we cool it with the hair shakes and winks? Or at least save them until the end of the game?

I copy and pasted this from KSR

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9796 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-04-2015 08:42 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am dizzy from climbing on the bandwagon and falling off again. I started the season by saying they would win only 4 games. Well here they are with a 4-1 record. The way they have played you would think that is all they would win. So now I'll quit predicting what they will do because no one knows what this team is liable to do. Before the game I was thinking they could end up 8-4. Maybe they can, but the way they played down to EKUs level there is no telling what they will win or lose. But I was right about them not having any better running game than they had last year. You need big guys to have a running game. How many years are we giving Stoops to get us to where we are respectable in the SEC?
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2015 08:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you want to complain all you have to do is to complain about our running game and the stats will back you up. It's no wonder why we virtually passed all the time in the second half and came back played well while winning the game. This isn't going to happen every game especially when we start playing the better SEC teams but so far this season it's our passing game that has carried us.

1ST DOWN
Run: 15 rushes for 43 yards (2.9 ypc)
Pass: 13-17, 159 yards, 2 TD, 1 sack for -15 yards

Combined Season Statistics
Run: 73 rushes for 388 yards (5.3 ypc), 2 TD
Pass: 40-58, 442 yards, 5 TD, 1 INT, 6 sacks for -45 yards

RECAP: You will obviously see a trend throughout these stats in that the running game was completely non-existent for UK on Saturday. This was especially true on 1st down, where UK had it’s worst YPC numbers of the season. The passing game, on the other hand, was very good. Towles was accurate and hit on several big plays on 1st down. One of the few positives on a rough offensive night.

2ND DOWN AND LONG (6 yards or more)
Run: 7 rushes for 20 yards (2.9 ypc)
Pass: 5-10, 84 yards, 1 sack for -8 yards

Run: 40 rushes for 191 yards (4.8 ypc), 1 TD
Pass: 19-38, 269 yards, 2 sacks for -16 yards

RECAP: Towles hit a couple nice passes for 1st downs but the rushing game was completely non-existent. A couple of these runs were actually Towles scrambles as well.

2ND DOWN AND SHORT (5 yards or less)
Run: 5 rushes for 23 yards (4.6 ypc), 1 TD
Pass: 3-4, 20 yards, 1 INT

Run: 19 rushes for 63 yards (3.3 ypc), 3 TD
Pass: 7-9, 36 yards, 1 INT

RECAP: Cats struggled to gain much yardage here but Kemp’s TD run came in this scenario and Towles did complete 3 of 4 passes, although his 1 miss was a really bad interception.

3RD DOWN AND LONG (6 yards or more)
Run: None
Pass: 6-9, 56 yards, 2 sacks for -10 yards (converted 5 of 11)

Run: 7 rushes for 98 yards (14.0 ypc), 1 TD (converted 5 of 7)
Pass: 22-37, 297 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT, 6 sacks for -43 yards (converted 13 of 43)

RECAP: The offensive line struggles really showed up here as Towles was sacked twice and had to scramble a couple other times or rushed. Even still, UK’s conversion percentage was much better than in their first 4 games, so a little positive there.

3RD DOWN AND SHORT (5 yards or less)
Run: 4 rushes for -2 yards (0.5 ypc) (converted 1 of 4)
Pass: 1-1, 5 yards (converted 1 of 1)

Run: 15 rushes for 49 yards (3.3 ypc) (converted 9 of 15)
Pass: 4-9, 67 yards, 1 sack for -10 yards (converted 4 of 10)

RECAP: Pathetic rushing attach here. Negative yardage over the course of 4 carries, not converting 3 of 4 chances. That absolutely kills drives that should be easily continued. Hopefully that was an abnormal performance, but it has to be a little worrisome.

Link

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-06-2015 06:13 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Complain. Yes, I am going to complain about my favorite team that is in the SEC and has to go to OT to beat Eastern. This is a crazy season and Kentucky is a Jeckle and Hyde team. Never know which team will show up on the field.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2015 09:20 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom you going to have a hay day now with Auburn- Mississippi State-Tennessee-Georgia coming up and 3 of those games on the road.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-06-2015 12:35 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am rooting for UK all the way. I am happy that they are 4-1. Doesn't mean that when the coaching staff lives and dies with a player, regardless of performance, that I am going to like it.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com