TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Getting Barker some playing time would be a smart move

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting Barker some playing time would be a smart move
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-02-2015 09:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it's going to happen and wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen in the first game.

Just as we predicted (hoped?), there’s a good chance that Kentucky will play more than one quarterback in Saturday night’s opener against UL-Lafayette. At his Monday press luncheon, Mark Stoops said he wants to get backup quarterback Drew Barker a series if possbile.

“Absolutely, I’d like to,” said the head coach. “I’d like to early when the game’s on the line. But we will see about that. I’d like to.”

Barker, the highly touted redshirt freshman from Conner High School, lost out in the starting quarterback competition to junior Patrick Towles, who started all 12 Kentucky games last season. Towles is expected to take the vast majority — if not all — of the snaps on Saturday.

It would be smart, however, to get Barker’s feet wet. The SEC is an unforgiving league. Few and far between are the quarterbacks who can make it through a season without missing at least a series or two, much less a game, because of injury. No coach wants to suddenly throw an untested rookie into the fire.

Plus, Barker is obviously talented. Despite Towles having the upper hand, Barker performed well enough in spring drills to push the quarterback competition into the summer. Barker’s performance in fall camp caused Stoops and new offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson to wait until 10 days into camp before naming Towles the starter.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com