TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Potential upsets by the Cats this season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Potential upsets by the Cats this season
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-12-2015 09:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will believe it when it happens but this writer seems to think we have a "shot" for a couple of upsets this coming season.

Week 7 — Auburn at Kentucky: Last year, Auburn went on the road and won a Thursday night game against a tough opponent. Can they pull off that feat two years in a row, this time against an SEC opponent? Kentucky should have the offense to compete with the Tigers, even if the Wildcats can’t slow them down.

Week 9 — Tennessee at Kentucky: The Vols are a popular sleeper pick to win the East, but this is still a pretty young team that doesn’t have a lot of experience winning on the road. Kentucky doesn’t figure to be very good, but the offense should at least cause some headaches for UT.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-13-2015 10:06 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The offense needs to have swagger this season. Starts with QB, but each position has to execute. I want to see the O light it up. Can't go 3 and out and expect to keep the D on the field the whole game and have a chance to win.

In Hal Mumme's first season at Kentucky, his offense lit up the scoreboard. The problem with him was that he stole payers from the D side of the ball. He stacked his team 3 times the receivers that a normal team would have.

Stoops and staff know what they are doing and are slowing building a team, getting better recruits in and red shirting players. They are still a year away from having most of their own players and 2 seasons away from having all of his players and a four full recruiting season.

But, the team should have enough of the pieces to compete.

I, personally, am impatient for wins. I want to see 6 or more wins. It has been a long, long time since Kentucky has went to a bowl. Downtrodden football programs can't get competitive in a season or two. This is season 3 and I want to see wins as I sure the rest of the fan base does as well. The recruits need to see wins. I can't wait for the season to start and see the scoreboard light up.

Kentucky needs to beat Florida. It is the longest current losing streak in D1 football. That needs to end. If there ever was a time that Florida is ripe for the picking, it is this year. UL wold be big win for the Cats.

As for Auburn and UT? I would think those teams would have to have an off day and have turn overs for UK to beat them. But, I would like to see it.

[ 06-13-2015, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-14-2015 07:39 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be a great surprise if any of this happens but things can change over time, and whether 3 years is enough time for it to happen will have to be seen to believe it. Hope it happens but anything over 4 wins would be great.
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-14-2015 09:40 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know Kentucky has been at the bottom for a long time and rose to average during the Rich Brooks era. But, I truly believe things are different this time around. I don't expect Kentucky to be one of the big dogs. I do expect them to improve over last season and to be more competitive.

This could very well be the start of the golden age of Kentucky football. I can understand the majority of fans are in a "gotta see it to believe it" mode, when it comes to starting a winning tradition. There really is not much of a winning tradition attached to the program.

Say for arguments sake that the Cats go above and beyond expectations and win 8 games. I don't see it happening. I am looking for more like 6 to 7. If they did win 8, then Stoops and staff would be mentioned in every D1 coaching vacancy that would open up at the end of the season. Kentucky has taken care of Stoops and staff and will give them the necessary raises to keep them. UK finally joined the recruiting arms race by upgrading its facilities and is not the the homeless guy living in a van down by the river, anymore. Recruits can actually see that Kentucky is committed to having a competitive top notch football program. So, yes, I do feel that things are different this time around.

No, the winning hasn't happened yet in the Stoops era. Will it start this season? I am no expert, by any means, but I believe good fortune will smile on the Cats and that they will make a bowl this year.

[ 06-14-2015, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-14-2015 10:37 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice post Boom, makes so much sense. Like you point out improvements in increments is a good possibility with the "possibility" of a bowl this year. If it doesn't happen I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com