TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Spring Football: Last Week’s Leftovers

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spring Football: Last Week’s Leftovers
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 03-17-2015 07:35 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mark Stoops was kind enough to give his football team a Spring Break away from the field, but before we lose our minds to March Madness, here’s a little bit of this and that from last week.

– I hardly mentioned anything about the QBs last week, so for all of those that need minute-by-minute updates on the situation, here it is: Patrick Towles will be your starting quarterback. Coach Stoops said that he likes Coach Dawson’s “fresh eyes” on the position, giving room for Drew Barker to make a move and keeping the competition for the position open.

Barker looks improved too, but he’s still not a starting quarterback. Not only does Towles have the intangibles down Pat (pun intended), he’s gotten bigger, more solid. His release was faster than before and OH MY GOSH, did you just see how far he threw that ball? Of course you didn’t, but it’s safe to say Dawson is a much bigger fan of taking shots downfield, and that just so happens to be what Pat does best.

– Coach Dawson isn’t going to let last year’s performance and play-calling dictate his decision-making. It may not surprise you, but I think it’s pretty important that Dawson is focused on moving forward. Besides, how much of last year’s film does anybody REALLY want to watch?

– Avery Williamson is beloved by many because it’s virtually impossible to dislike the guy. But somehow Stoops is still in his linebacker’s ear, but for a good reason: he wants Avery to graduate. When speaking with him after Pro Day, I found out that not only is Avery finishing his last few classes online, we’re actually taking the same one. It’s a small world after all.

– High Performance is stupid awesome and I can’t wait until they release an updated roster. Seriously, these guys got swole. Measurements have yet to be updated, but Jason Hatcher has gained in the ballpark of 20 pounds, Jojo Kemp is looking more like Josh Clemons, and Matt Elam is still a massive monster.

– The DLine is deep. “How Deep is it?” So deep, not even Wendy Peffercorn could save Squints.

I’ll grant you, they are a young bunch, but the redshirts could only help. Denzil Ware was on the small side upon entering campus, but has bulked up in preparation for a big role as Jack OLB for the defense. Jacob Hyde was never expected to be an impact defensive tackle, but his improved agility was impressive. Big Melvin Lewis will anchor the group, but you can expect plenty of guys to get a shot.

– In case you wondering, there’s still no word whether or not Nebraska transfers Greg Hart and Courtney Love will be eligible to play this Fall.

– Tommy Mainord is letting the Juice loose. Before the season starts I hope that every loyal football fan knows that Garrett Johnson has Juice. Even though he’s on the shorter, the man has the athleticism to do whatever on the football field. That versatility is why he’ll be one of the few wide receivers that will play both in the slot and on the outside. Without Timmons, he’s running with the 1s in the slot, a deadly position on wheel routes

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-18-2015 01:45 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the updates eleem.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9787 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-18-2015 08:59 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
towles has a golden arm, if he can just put the ball where the receivers are.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-18-2015 12:07 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we need a quarterback that can run. We get these slow quarterbacks that can't maneuver and playing in the SEC with our line we get sacked all the time.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-18-2015 02:59 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I expect a winning season. I am rooting for the redshirt QB, because I think he will be a gamer. If Towles starts, I hope they play Barker at least a quarter a game. Barker is the more heralded prospect and he has a new OC. If he doesn't work hard enough in practice to earn playing time it will be on him. Even if he doesn't beat out Towles, he had better be ready, because he is an injury away from being the man.

I don't think the O line will be horrible this season. I will reserve my judgement, when the season starts. I am hopeful that the team will be much improved.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-18-2015 03:30 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boomdaddy, which seven teams do you think we'll beat to have a winning season?

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9787 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-19-2015 07:06 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Florida has a new staff. UK almost beat them last year. They are beatable. The longest losing streak in D1 football will be ended this year. UK will beat UL this season.

Louisiana Lafayette, South Carolina, Florida, EKU, Vandy, Charlotte, UL will be the wins.

They did not have enough depth, to finish out strong, last season. Depth is much better and they will finish strong. That is my prediction.

[ 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-20-2015 10:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beating Louisville would be sweet.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com