TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Nebraska transfer has ties to UK coachs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nebraska transfer has ties to UK coachs
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-19-2015 06:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Marrow is turning out to be a heck of a recruiter.

It was not hard for Courtney Love to make a connection with Kentucky when he knew he was going to transfer from Nebraska.

He said he had known UK coach Mark Stoops and recruiting coordinator Vince Marrow “ever since I was a little kid growing up” in  Youngstown, Ohio, the hometown for both UK coaches.

He said he “loved everything at Nebraska” but wanted to be back closer to his grandmother. Even if he’s not granted a hardship waiver that will let him play this fall, he’s still happy to be at UK and more than willing to sit out during the 2015 season.

The 6-2, 245-pound linebacker played in 12 games at Nebraska last season after redshirting in 2013. He was a two-time all-Ohio selection while playing for Cardinal Mooney High School and had 110 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and nine sacks as a senior. He had 130 tackles as a junior when his team won the state championship and was ranked among the top 30 players in Ohio.

Stoops likes the size and physical presence that Love brings to a position where UK needs help. However, he’s also solid off the field as he volunteered his time with Uplifting Athletes, Husker Heroes, Make-A-Wish, Husker Hotline, and local hospital and community rec center outreach events while at Nebraska.

Love still remembers the first time he met Stoops.

“My first time really getting a chance to talk to him I was speaking at a Hall of Fame banquet my junior year in high school. Coach Stoops, he spoke also, because I received an athletic scholarship, academic scholarship from the Stoops family to help pay tuition at Cardinal Mooney,” Love said.

Marrow was at Nebrask when Love joined the Huskers. If Stoops and Marrow had already been at UK when he signed, he likely would have come to UK two years ago.

“I had a lot into Nebraska because coach Marrow was there. And then when he came here, obviously talked about staying an extra semester at Mooney, but I wanted to go and get ready for college,” Love said about his early enrollment at Nebraska.

However, he knows it will be hard for Youngstown players not to want to play for Stoops and Marrow.

“Obviously you have guys from your hometown who you know are going to take care of you. They’re just hard-working guys who are going to have your back through everything, gonna make sure you do everything right, gonna make sure you get everything you need – within reason – and I feel like with coach Stoops, coach Marrow, I have that second father figure away from home, rather than a coach that’s really not around,” Love said. But these guys, they’re really into it and it’s more personable, I think. It’s a really good deal.”

Here’s more insights Love offered about himself and UK.

Question: How aware was he of UK”s need at his position?

Love: “I feel like middle (linebacker) would be my best (position) and that’s what the coaches have talked to me about. I can’t wait to get on board. I know it’s a spot that we need guys, and I can’t wait to join Josh Forrest, Khalid Henderson, Nico Firios. It’s going to be a good deal, I think. I love my teammates so far. I don’t expect that to change.”

Question: What has jumped out to him so far at Kentucky?

Love: “Definitely the food. After working out, we can go right into the nutrition room and Miss Monica, she gets those girls going and they cook for us and it’s really sweet. I like it a lot, because we don’t have to work about going somewhere else, like McDonald’s or something to get food. She has everything set up for us right in there and we can just go in there and eat at the training tables. Also, I saw a big thing about development here. Players come here and they develop, not only as athletes but as men and good, hard-working people in the community. And that’s what I see from the nature of this team and from guys that have been here in the past.”

Question: How much did UK’s new facilities sway him?

Love: “I would say it wasn’t a big factor, but with the way everything’s going to be, it’s going to be a lot of good things, with the new sports-science things that are going in there. It’s going to be good for the fans, good for new recruits coming in, because that’s what people want to see, things like that. But other than that, I feel like the coaches are what got me here. The people are what got me here.”

Question: How would Nebraska’s talent on the eyeball test compare to UK’s roster?

Love: “I wasn’t surprised. I watched games last year and we’ve got the talent. I feel like next year, we can do some things as long as everybody buys in and does what we’re supposed to do, me included. And if that waiver doesn’t go through, my biggest thing is to be the best teammate I can be, to push these guys to get to a bowl game, to get that sixth win, to get even more than six wins. I feel like we can with the talent that we have.”

Question: Why are so many recruits drawn to Marrow?

Love: “He’s a really good guy. He and my dad, they went to high school together, so I’ve been knowing him for a long time. He’s like an uncle to me. But he’s just a special person and he has that thing for recruiting. He gets guys and it works, so …”

Link

[ 02-19-2015, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-27-2015 02:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Marrow can bring in some good recruits he will deserve every penny he makes.

[ 02-27-2015, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-27-2015 02:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Marrow is going to help us a lot on upgrading our recruiting program.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-27-2015 09:05 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm already pretty pumped about next season!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123958 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-05-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think everyone is as this year we should be better.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com