TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Alabama, Louisville take risks on recruits arrested for abusing women

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alabama, Louisville take risks on recruits arrested for abusing women
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 02-07-2015 04:55 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Devonte' Fields, the Big 12's defensive player of the year in 2012, was arrested last July for allegedly punching his ex-girlfriend. TCU parted ways with Fields.

Jonathan Taylor, the nation's No. 7 defensive tackle coming out of high school, was arrested last July for allegedly striking his girlfriend with a closed fist and choking her. Georgia dismissed Taylor, who had previously been arrested on theft charges.

As their domestic violence cases remain pending, Fields and Taylor find themselves back at prominent college football programs six months later. Taylor enrolled at Alabama on Jan. 7, and Fields signed with Louisville on Wednesday.

In light of the NFL's recent domestic violence crisis with Ray Rice, there was a thought within college sports circles that universities would be less likely to retain or sign athletes accused of abusing women. That happened in some quarters. Tennessee dismissed running back Treyvon Paulk in September after police said he hit his girlfriend. Oklahoma State dismissed wide receiver Tyreek Hill in December after he was arrested and accused of punching and choking his pregnant girlfriend.

But to some advocates who are trying to shine a light on domestic violence, the signings of Fields and Taylor raise concerns about the message being sent to women and the legal risks some universities continue to accept.

"This is the kind of thing that really sheds a light to how much lip service is out there about domestic violence, and I have a lot of respect for Nick Saban and his program at Alabama and likewise for Louisville," said Don McPherson, a College Football Hall of Fame quarterback at Syracuse who has been a prominent speaker on domestic violence for three decades.

"The reality is if you put these players' crime up against any other crime, if these guys were charged with assaulting a teammate, would they be allowed on another team? I think it speaks to how often domestic violence against women is somewhat dismissed. ... Ray Rice didn't face a charge. These guys are facing charges. What we're failing to do is truly hold men accountable for their behavior."

Katherine Redmond Brown, founder of the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes, and McPherson said universities have more legal exposure than NFL teams because of federal laws that colleges must follow. Alabama and Louisville could face a Title IX lawsuit if another incident happens with either Fields or Taylor given their background. In 2011, the Department of Justice wrote an open letter to higher education leaders making them aware they can be sued under Title IX if they do not take steps to protect women on campus and respond to complaints in adequate fashion.

"These schools are taking a very big risk with public money," Redmond Brown said. "I think parents should be concerned. I believe a lot of these college coaches believe it's an isolated case and still believe what the NFL believed for years with domestic violence: she might have provoked him. There are so many excuses that go along with domestic violence, but what you're dealing with is someone who has control issues."

On Wednesday, Louisville coach Bobby Petrino and Saban spoke of second and third chances. They talked about doing due diligence and that their high-risk recruits understand what's expected of them.

Petrino said he expects Fields to play immediately and fits nicely into Louisville's defensive scheme. Petrino said he spent the entire season vetting Fields, including speaking with TCU and Trinity coaches, and believes Fields earned his scholarship with Louisville. TCU coach Gary Patterson said he "loves" Fields, according to Petrino.

"I think we have a really good understanding of what went wrong, what happened," Petrino said. "Talking to the attorneys and really knowing that we felt comfortable that, No. 1, there's absolutely no gun there, and it's a misdemeanor charge. I've been instructed that's all I can say about it. We feel good about how the outcome is going to come. Sitting down with the young man, he understands the expectations we have and the standards we have."

Saban said he understands the "sensitivity" about taking Taylor, who has unspecified behavioral stipulations imposed by Alabama. Taylor's high school and junior college coaches spoke highly of him, Saban said.

"The guy was charged. There's no question about that," Saban said. "He was accused. I can't discuss the circumstances of all that. I've said this before: When people are young and they make a mistake -- and that is not a mistake that we condone in any way, shape or form, that it's any disrespect to any person, let alone a female -- that there isn't some occasion to not condemn them for life, but to give them another chance. And it's up to them to prove that they deserve that chance."

Taylor scheduled for arraignment next week

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-07-2015 06:40 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Louisville doesn't surprise me at all. I didn't know Alabama would stoop to that level, though.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-08-2015 12:01 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After what UL's coaches have done in the past, nothing surprises me about their recruiting

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-08-2015 12:50 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Petrino is the perfect coach for Louisville and he and Pitino have a lot in common.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-08-2015 05:11 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A LOT IN COMMON! Jurich will sell his soul to try to get some victories!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-08-2015 08:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think Pitino wouldn't?

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-09-2015 06:25 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, he'd follow right in his bosses footsteps!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-09-2015 03:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a shady group in the Louisville Athletic department!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-09-2015 08:13 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's one term we could use!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-10-2015 06:21 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You'd think with all the issues teh NFL has had in the past year or two with domestic violence that programs would try to muffle some of that! If the boy needs help then get him help!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-10-2015 10:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your so right as domestic violence is a terrible thing and the NFL has to help get it under control.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-10-2015 10:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They need to do whatever they can to protect all the innocent victims.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-10-2015 11:01 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THere's no reason in the WORLD for any man to lay a hand on a woman unless it's to hug and caress her!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-10-2015 11:03 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's if said women wants to be hugged and caressed. [Wink]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-11-2015 06:27 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've always said that any woman who stays in aa relationship after being beaten isn't thinking straight. He's got to sleep don't he? A Louisville slugger will take care of knocking some sense into him!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-11-2015 06:29 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember the story of one of Willie Nelson's wives, he'd come home drunk and get to slapping her around, so one night when he came home passed out in the bed she sewed him up in the sheets and took a broom handle and beat the heck out of him!

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-11-2015 12:52 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was a case here in town of a guy stepping out on his wife. I have to word this carefully, but he came home drunk one night and passed out in bed. Here's where I have to be careful: She got a tube of Super Glue, and glued his limp manhood to his belly. When he woke up, and that thing decided to stand up, he was in agony! Had to go to the ER to get it detached. How would you like to explain that to the medical staff? LOL!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-11-2015 02:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only word that comes to mind is severe pain!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-11-2015 10:16 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That would teach you to mess around !

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com