TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Josh Allen slipped through the cracks!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Josh Allen slipped through the cracks!
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-06-2015 04:32 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds like we got a good one in Josh Allen.

John Fiore has sent defensive ends to play at Ohio State, Boston College and Rutgers and knew he had another big-time player this year in Josh Allen. However, the coach at Montclair (N.J.) High School had trouble convincing anyone else that Josh Allen was that good.

Finally, though, he got the attention of the University of Kentucky coaching staff and in a matter of a few days he got a visit from UK, made his official visit to Kentucky and committed to the Cats. On Wednesday, he officially became part of UK’s 2015 recruiting class when he signed his scholarship.

“Even in today’s age with all the modern technology and social media, some kids slip through the cracks,” said Fiore. “He is a heck of a player. We were very fortunate to get him this year and he had a great season with 22 1/2 sacks and also played on offense for us.”

Fiore is “good friends” with Rutgers defensive coordinator and said he “argued” with him about Allen’s talent, especially compared to some other players that Rutgers did offer scholarships. But an offer never came for Allen. He was committed to nearby Monmouth, a FCS school. He had an offer from Buffalo, and Kansas and Hawaii had shown interest.

Fiore is yet to understand why other big-time programs passed on the 6-4 Allen, who runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds, before Kentucky jumped at the chance to sign him. The coach had even discussed the idea of Allen going to prep school to attract more offers.

“He is a kid that could be a big wide receiver. You could make him a hybrid tight end. He would make an unbelievable outside linebacker or defense end you could redshirt and then get him to 260 or 270 pounds,” Fiore said. “We won our third straight state title (as a public school) and he was unbelievable for us. He had 22 1/2 sacks and last year the kid now at Ohio State set our school record with 23 1/2. We play in one of the top leagues in the state and play some of the best teams around.

“Josh just did it with athleticism. He cuts on a dime and makes plays. He’s a special kid. I was very disappointed with how his recruitment went. I was expecting a lot more offers when it was a no-braier he would be a (academic) qualifier easily. Anybody who would stop and listen, I would show film and talk him up. I am just fortunate we got a connection with (UK coach Mark) Stoops. We got the film out and it all fell together in about two days.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-11-2015 03:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To be as big as he is with his speed he "will" play and probably real soon.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-11-2015 03:04 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy we got him. He will work hard and play hard.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-11-2015 10:17 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's what we want to hear. Speed on the defensive side of the ball!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-13-2015 03:07 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We do need speed on both sides of the ball if we are to get better in the SEC.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-14-2015 10:37 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I need a team full of Bud Dupree's!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-17-2015 12:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We do need a team of Bud Dupree's , however players like that just don't come around very often.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-17-2015 12:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where we run into trouble is we don't not have the depth at every position like the other SEC teams have. In fact our starters are not as good as most 2nd and 3rd stringers on most SEC teams.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-17-2015 12:50 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are gaining on it but we still have a long ways to go on getting good SEC type recruits.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-17-2015 04:43 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping with the number of boys that red shirted last year that our talent will be up a little this next season

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-17-2015 06:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think year by year we will improve some but not a lot un till we get some 5 star athletes.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-17-2015 06:42 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's the difference with us and other SEC teams, they get some 5 stars and we don't.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-18-2015 06:30 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We're just not known for our football, it's always been that way!

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-18-2015 11:10 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And probably always will be. Just like UK will always be near the top of the basketball world, unless we hire Gillispie back!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-18-2015 07:56 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gillispie, Norm, you just ruined a nice evening. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com