TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops encouraged where the Cats are headed

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops encouraged where the Cats are headed
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-05-2015 03:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope he means what he says as we have a long ways to go.

Where does Kentucky coach Mark Stoops think his program is after signing his third recruiting class?

“I think we’re much closer to where we want to be. I think‑‑ I was commenting on one of the shows that we had here today about that as far as where do we go from here? So it’s very exciting to wrap up this class. Everybody asks me all the time, what do I feel about this? We put a lot of hard work, and it’s good to get it wrapped up. It’s good to introduce them to our fan base and to the media and talk about these guys publicly, which is nice,” said Stoops Wednesday.

“But what’s really encouraging is to get back with our team and develop our team. Our guys have been working since we’ve been on the road, since we’ve been back after the break. Coaches have been on the road traveling and recruiting and hosting weekends and all that stuff, and our team has been busting our tail in here with our strength and conditioning team. The nice thing is we’ve been back on campus. When we were back on Fridays or this week, walking around the weight room and walking around the complex and seeing our guys, physically, it’s much closer to what we want to look like.

“So we feel very encouraged about where we’re at and where we’re headed. I think it’s going to be a fun group to coach. They are anxious, and we are anxious to get with them and to have a very tough, demanding winner to continue to build the toughness that we need in this program.
So I think I feel very good about where we’re headed.

Link

[ 02-05-2015, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-06-2015 06:18 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's going to have to take us to a bowl this year or the heat will start warming up in the kitchen!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-06-2015 01:39 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Probably so but really think he is as good a coach as we could find.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 02-06-2015 01:42 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm stepping out on the limb and guaranteeing we make a bowl. We may be 6-6, but I'm thinking 7-5. Go Big Blue!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-06-2015 01:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EC, that limb is awfully brittle for a statement like that. You have to remember your not as young as you use to be and the ground is hard. [Wink]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-06-2015 08:59 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You also have to remember that we play in the toughest conference in all of the NCAA too! 12 of the 14 teams went bowling this year!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-07-2015 02:04 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The SEC is a tough conference but I read somewhere that the Pac 12 was rated the best.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-07-2015 11:19 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't get paid to be a DI football coach and I certainly haven't played one on TV, but I would have preferred the staff raid the juco ranks heavier than they have each season.

The bright side is that they do have a bunch of players that were red shirted, last year. I am sure hoping that an "improved" overall talent level shows up, this year.

We also have heard about how big of an improvement that the strength and performance training is now that Stoops brought Korem with him from Florida State. If so, when will it translate on the field? Will it show up in season three? Granted, this will only be the second full year that it is in place for a full off season.

Several coaches have commented on how great the returning players look and how they look like SEC players. I can't take much stock in that, because it seems that I have heard the whole "we are much bigger and stronger" from every coach that has ever been at Kentucky.

I am supporting this team and staff, 100%. But, this is the season to show results. I believe they will. If they don't, there will be a lot of pissing and moaning. If the team does well and the red shirts pay off, they will be able to red shirt a bunch every season and keep things rolling. Go Cats!

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-07-2015 11:41 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
boom, good post and agree this is the year for the Cats to make a move in conference play. It won't be easy but we should be a lot better than in the past.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-07-2015 11:54 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It'll always be tough as long as 8+ of the SEC teams are ranked in the top 25. The rich continue to get richer!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-08-2015 08:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have faced that same scenario for many, many years.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-09-2015 05:43 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rich Brooks built a competitive program, without the financial commitment from the University. Even though he didn't break into the upper level of the SEC, he still went to three straight bowl games. All this without competitive salaries for his staff or any significant updating of the facilities. It was not uncommon for Brooks to lose coaches to other programs going to the same job.

I truly believe Stoops has a better staff. The University is paying the staff a competitive wage. The facilities are getting major upgrades. All they need to do is go to their first bowl game in may years and make it a habit, not the exception.

Stoops has much more support than Brooks had during his tenure here.

[ 02-09-2015, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-10-2015 02:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rich Brooks never had a winning SEC record so it really a stretch to say he built a competitive program. .

[ 02-10-2015, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-10-2015 10:23 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When we started playing 8 conference games it really put the hurt on us and Vandy!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-10-2015 10:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's true the more we have to play SEC games the harder it gets. Hopefully at some point we can turn it around and be competitive in the SEC.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-10-2015 10:59 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Every game closer to seasons end the target will continue to get bigger too!@

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-10-2015 11:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We just have a long way to go along with Vandy and it isn't going to get much easier in the for seeable future.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com