TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Ramifications of Damien Harris to Alabama

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramifications of Damien Harris to Alabama
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 01-09-2015 09:53 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
. Today, the arduous recruitment of Damien Harris came to a close as the highly touted running back decided to take his talents to Tuscaloosa. It’s a good fit for the running back and hopefully we see the Kentucky product have great success on and off the field. As that chapter closes on Kentucky football some loose ends tie up while new questions unravel. Harris’ decision is one with ramifications for both now and the future. Among them are:

No finding a fit for Harris

When you have a chance to land the number one running back in the nation, one that’s just 30 miles down the road no less, you push all in to get him. That’s what Stoops did as head coach and it showed how far he has brought the program just to be on the table with Alabama and Ohio State. However, the biggest question mark for Harris and Kentucky was always where he would fit into the Air Raid offense.

Back in September, Harris came on KSR and said he wanted to play in “a pro style, traditional offense”. If he came to Kentucky he would need to “adjust to playing as a spread running back”. Deciding to play in Lexington would have meant an adjustment for Damien and presumably an adjustment from Shannon Dawson to use Damien’s ability in his offense. It would have been a good problem to have but now an issue this staff will not have to face.

The running back duties will remain with the speedy Boom Williams, Braylon Heard, Mikel Horton, and Jojo Kemp in Dawson’s offense that rushed for 182 yards per game. Harris could have added some major power to the group but the group is still pretty solid.

Controlling the Border.

Will Baker rejoin the fold in 2015?

Since Stoops arrived in Lexington he has done an excellent job of locking down in-state kids. In his first months on the job he secured Jason Hatcher and Ryan Timmons, two guys expected to play a major role next season. In year two he kept Drew Barker and Matt Elam within the Commonwealth. Damien Harris marks the first miss the staff has had within the state since they arrived on campus 3 years ago. If Harris goes on to Tuscaloosa and has major success will that encourage other local kids coming up to do the same?

With the junior class of Drake Jackson, Landon Young, Davonte Robinson, and Zy’Aire Hughes already committed and Quinton Baker a strong UK lean, Stoops still has the state held down. Hopefully Harris proves to be the exception instead of starting a trend.

Finishing the class…

What surprises now lie ahead before signing day on February 4th. The Cats are currently ranked 29th according to 247’s team ratings with just 17 commitments. Will they finish with big-time pickups like Marcus Lewis, Ryan Davis, or DaAntre Truman? Will they now search for a running back to add to the class in order to fill the void Harris has now opened in the class? Some interesting storylines remain with just under a month remaining to land commitments.

The state of Kentucky produces a talent like Harris about once a decade. So it sucks to miss out on him but you can’t blame the kid. During the entire process Harris was awesome hanging out in the student section, tweeting, and keeping the BBN buzzing about football during January. We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-09-2015 10:27 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ELEEM I WISH HIM THE BEST, BUT IT SHOULDNT HAVE EVEN BEEN A ISSUE, BORN AND RAISED IN KY WHERE GREAT FOOTBALL PLAYERS ARE SCARCE, TO ME IT WOULD BE NO ISSUE, IF YOURE GREAT U WILL BE GREAT ANYWHERE. BUT IF U ARE KY GREAT U WILL BE SPECIAL. GOD BLESS MY WILDCATS, GOD BLESS DAMIEN, JUI LOVE KY, AND EVERY THING ABOUT IT, RIGHT DOWN TO THE LAST BLUE GRASS BLADE, OF GRASS. ST HOPE HE DONT LIVE TO REGRET THIS DECISION. I THINK MOMMA KNEW BEST IN THIS DECISION, AND HE WENT AGAINST IT. BUT THE SUN WILL SHINE ON THE BLUE GRASS TOMORROW, AND THAT BEAUTIFUL FOOTBALL STADIUM WILL OPEN IN THE FALL, AND US DIE HARD FANS WILL HOPE FOR A BOWL GAME, WE ALL START 0 AND 0, BUT FOR 45 YRS IVE BEEN SMELLING TAILGATE PARTIES, WATCHED US PLAY AT STOLL FIELD, NEVER DREAMED WE WOULD HAVE THIS TYPE PLACE TO PLAY. BUT THAT FIRST GAME WITHOUT HARISS WILL COME AND GO WITHOUT HIM. GO WILDCATS.

[ 01-09-2015, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Green-Bean ]

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-12-2015 12:23 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We shall see how good he really is as Bama gets the best of the best. You can bet Harris isn't going to be given the starting job at Bama, he is going to have to earn it.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-12-2015 09:34 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it does hurt our recruiting just a little!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-13-2015 09:55 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is no doubt about it, losing a home grown player like Harris is hard to make up for. Their is nothing we can do but go out and find the best running back we can sign.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-13-2015 09:57 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think now that we have Morrow back it will help our recruiting and hopefully we can sign some SEC talent as the SEC isn't going to get any easier.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com