TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » ◦Mark Stoops comments on hiring Shannon Dawson and the QB situation.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ◦Mark Stoops comments on hiring Shannon Dawson and the QB situation.
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 12-18-2014 01:09 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Appearing on Kentucky Sports Radio on Thursday morning, Mark Stoops could not talk about the hiring of West Virginia’s Shannon Dawson as offensive coordinator because of legal issues, but gave some insight as to his thinking.

“I wanted some carryover,” Stoops said. “I felt like we are getting closer and closer to being a very good football team and being a much better offensive football team and defensive team.”

Former coordinator Neal Brown, now head coach at Troy, is a product of the Air Raid coaching tree, especially Tony Franklin. Dawson is a product of the Air Raid coaching tree, especially Dana Holgorsen.

When Brown came to UK from Texas Tech, he hired assistants that were steeped in the Air Raid scheme – running backs coach Chad Scott, offensive line coach John Schlarman and wide receivers coach Tommy Mainord.

“I didn’t want to bring somebody in that is a heck of a football coach and teach all four of the other offensive coaches, the graduate assistants and the whole offense, a new system,” Stoops said. “There’s always going to be nuances. There’s always going to be wrinkles. There’s always going to be changes. There’s also a philosophy that can carry over and we won’t take a step back.”

Stoops has talked about wanting balance all season, and though West Virginia runs the Air Raid it has become more balanced each year that Holgorsen and Dawson have been in Morgantown.

West Virginia threw the ball 56.5 percent of the time the first year under Holgorsen. The Mountaineers threw it 53.8 his second year, 52.1 his third year and just 47.9 percent of the time last year.

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-18-2014 01:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any coach Mark Stoops hires you now is going to be top drawer and can't wait to see how our offense plays next season.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com