TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Shannon Dawson’s Wednesday Night Football News and Football Views

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shannon Dawson’s Wednesday Night Football News and Football Views
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 12-17-2014 11:43 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky has its new offensive coordinator! As you know by now, West Virginia’s Shannon Dawson will leave Morgantown for the same position in Lexington. He received and accepted the offer from Mark Stoops on Wednesday and it didn’t take long for word to leak out, because that’s life in 2014.

Dawson brings old school Air Raid from West Virginia to Kentucky and we’re told it will be even faster than the way Neal Brown intended to play while he was here. Dawson comes from the Hal Mumme coaching tree, so he knows a thing or two about chucking the pigskin. Look for his offense to push the tempo and throw the deep ball. “He will play FAST, FAST, FAST,” we’re told.

In three seasons as OC at West Virginia, where he or Dana Holgorsen called the plays, depending who you ask, the Mountaineers racked up impressive numbers through the air. This season, Dawson’s offense ranked ninth in passing offense, 11th in total offense and 38th in scoring offense, nationally.

Prior to West Virginia, Dawson coached the nation’s No. 1 passing offense and No. 4 scoring offense in his third and final year at Stephen F. Austin. When Dawson took over the Lumberjacks in 2008, they were coming off a winless season and 16 points per game. Dawson quickly turned things around, into the top passing offense in the Southland Conference and third-best in the country in his first season.

Kentucky fans won’t truly know if this is the right call until we see the product Dawson puts on the field next fall, but for now, it’s exciting to know Stoops likes his hire and will stick with the Air Raid offense.

More football news from the day…

The job was down to Dawson, Lincoln Riley, and one other candidate.

Riley was the name tossed around most from the start and was the presumed favorite throughout the process. He was my favorite candidate of the bunch, but only because I enjoyed this photoshop from Bucky Small Hooves, not because I thought he’d make the best fit.

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-18-2014 09:28 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dawson will probably be getting a nice pay raise too. I saw where he made in the neighborhood of 250,000 last season. Brown earned $450,000 last year.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123958 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-18-2014 12:43 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The offense seemed to struggle the last half of this past season. I was disappointed in the execution.

Heard the Stoops interview today and he stated he wanted continuity on offense and didn't want to start fresh with a whole new Offensive philosophy.

I thought they would be better, last season. I still remember Hal Mumme's first season at Kentucky, and he was on fire. He had Tim Couch, who was very accurate. I just expected this go around to be just as explosive. Maybe I expected too much.

Will be interested to see how the team looks in the spring, with the new OC and the performance of the QBs.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 12-18-2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WHERE IS THIS AIR RAID OFFENSE, SINCE STOOPS HAS BEEN HERE I HAVENT SEEN IT. EAST TO WEST OFFENSE IVE SEEN. GOT TO HAVE A ACCURATE QB FOR AIR RAID, WE GOT ONE, ITS JUST A MATTER IF HE PLAYS OR NOT?

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com