TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Cats offence has been consistently inconsistent

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats offence has been consistently inconsistent
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-21-2014 01:21 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems like every game it has been something else that makes us look like a we don't know what we are doing. Hopefully we will come together in the Louisville game and play with confidence.

Kentucky offensive coordinator Neal Brown said it was a “benefit” for coaches to have an off week to self-evaluate what has been going wrong for the Wildcats before they play at Louisville Nov. 29 to end the regular season.

“There’s no doubt. It gives you an opportunity to catch your breath. We do a lot of evaluation. Like over the last couple of days I’ve watched every play that we’ve had,” said Brown Wednesday. “Kind of broke it down to every play by different formations and personnel groupings then kind of identifying some problems that have been consistent and going about fixing some things.

“But I think it’s huge for coaches. I don’t know, I haven’t looked it up, but that’s got to be up there. That’s a long run. Eight straight games (without an open date). Seven of those SEC games, and I think we caught at least two teams, maybe a third team, coming off a bye week. So, it’s a tough stretch, but it is what it is.”

Brown said UK has been too “inconsistent” on offense.

“But it’s not consistently the same thing. Does that make sense? It’s been different things at different times,” Brown said. “In the passing game for instance, we may not protect well up front, the receiver may be open and we can’t get him the ball. We may protect well with the running backs and o-line and we get beat in man coverage. We may do both of those and then miss the throw.

“So it’s not one thing that we’re consistently doing poorly. It’s just we’re not functioning as a unit as well as we should.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-21-2014 02:20 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TE is a huge void. Receivers drop passes on key plays. Heck, any play is a key play. QB play is up and down and not accurate. O line far from a strength. Did I leave anything out? Oh yeah, one of the top RB was benched for not putting in enough effort at practice.

Stoops gave the team 2 days off. That is a good thing. I am hoping they can get some confidence back.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-21-2014 03:21 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom I agree, some players don't practice that good, but that running back u are talking about could really play in the games, we will probably lose him after the season. as I see it we don't have no offense. im not a neal brown fan when it comes to cordnator, as a person yea fine person.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-21-2014 10:54 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not a Brown fan either.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-22-2014 10:29 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tiptree posted the following on another thread and it makes a lot sense. Sometimes we all expect instant gratification but Kentucky football in the SEC isn't going to get that.

We went from 4 wins over the last two seasons combined to five this year, plus the potential for six. Who predicted that? We went from zero SEC wins to two, and almost three. Who predicted THAT?

I see solid progress in our recruiting. This isn't something that changes in one or two seasons, but at UK, it DID change in two seasons. I look forward to seeing UK in a couple of years.

What TT posted makes so much sense and these new coachs are making a difference but we still have a long way to go and until we get enough quality players and "back up players" to compete in the SEC we will continue to play like we have in the past. It isn't going to happen over night and if Vince Lombardi was alive and coaching the Cats it wouldn't make one bit of difference. To give you an idea how we have played in the SEC in the past, we haven't ever been better than 3rd place in our division, (and we did that only once) since the two division system started in 1994.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-22-2014 11:07 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, but sometimes it seems like Bill Curry is calling the plays. Run on first. Run on second. Throw on third down. Fourth down punt!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-22-2014 11:42 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My least favorite play is the screen pass on 3rd and 9 to go. More often than not they get 2 to 5 yards and have to punt. I would rather take my shot past the first down marker. Just my opinion;
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-22-2014 11:46 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Opinions are free and a lot of fun to have but we as fans don't have near the knowledge what these coachs have.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-22-2014 01:12 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've seen/played enough football to know that you need to use your tight ends for more things than an extra blocker on the offensive line.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-22-2014 02:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The coachs are there every day and certainly are not making decisions that they feel we hurt our chances of winning.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-22-2014 04:33 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I surely don't think that I am smarter than the coaches. No, I don't attend practices and see which players should be utilized for certain plays.

But, I do see trends that don't work and make me scratch my head.

The plays may work in practice, but for some reason, the execution is lacking in the games.

I expected more from this offense. I expected the QB to throw a ball to a receiver where he can catch it and not have to stop and reach behind himself or to stop mid stride to catch a ball and then take big hit, when he could have had a TD. I should lower my expectations. I should not expect accurate throws from a starting QB.

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-23-2014 08:02 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I EXPECTED TO HAVE A OFFENSIVE CORDINATOR THAT COULD CALL PLAYS, BARKER WILL BE THE QB NEXT YEAR HES MORE ACCURATE, AND STOOPS BETTER BE GOING JUNIOR COLLEGE ROUTE TO GET A COUPLE TIGHT ENDS. WE HAVE NO OFFENSIVE PLAYS, HAND IT OFF THROW A 2 YARD PASS. PITIFUL, WHY GET PLAYERS IF U CAN LET EM PLAY.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-23-2014 08:04 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
I surely don't think that I am smarter than the coaches. No, I don't attend practices and see which players should be utilized for certain plays.

But, I do see trends that don't work and make me scratch my head.

The plays may work in practice, but for some reason, the execution is lacking in the games.

I expected more from this offense. I expected the QB to throw a ball to a receiver where he can catch it and not have to stop and reach behind himself or to stop mid stride to catch a ball and then take big hit, when he could have had a TD. I should lower my expectations. I should not expect accurate throws from a starting QB.

BOOM U MAY BE SMARTER THAN A COUPLE OF OUR COACHES. WHY HAVE A STRONG ARM IF U CANT PLACE THE BALL ACCURATELY? YOU HAVE IT RIGHT. BOOM.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-23-2014 10:30 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Borden was UK's juco TE that was supposed to be a star. He has great speed and good size for his position. It just hasn't worked out. Maybe he will be healthy and make some catches in the UL game to help the offense get in gear.

Supposedly we have a redshirt TE that is supposed to be really good and a great highly touted TE that will be an incoming freshman for next year. That doesn't help the team right now.

Hope they get some production out of the TE position for this last game. It could be the difference between winning and losing. Wouldn't mind even seeing an extra TE in the backfield to pick up the blitz and then rub off his block to catch the pass and take off for 10 yards.

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-23-2014 11:04 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is what the coachs had to say about Steven Borden and the tight end position at the start of the year.

The main man: With the graduation of four tight ends, the Cats are thin at this position but hopeful that Steven Borden will turn into a star for them. It took him a while to learn the position, but the junior college transfer had the light come on at the end of last season and is expected to be a difference maker this season.

The supporting cast: Ronnie Shields has been a man in search of a position, but he'll be needed this season at tight end, where UK has him, Borden and Darryl Long (who seems likely to redshirt this season).

Outlook: One of the most difficult positions to learn in Neal Brown's Air Raid likely will be utilized more often this season now that Borden and Shields have had a season to get better. As with most junior college transfers, Borden took a season to get seasoned and has become a bulky target for the UK quarterbacks, catching 90 percent of his passes in the preseason. Some extra offseason work has helped improve Borden's confidence and route running, too.

Link

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com