TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops and Co. have a long way to go

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops and Co. have a long way to go
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-09-2014 08:36 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can't argue with that after watching our last few games. The good thing is if we can win one of the last two games we will be going to a bowl.

When Kentucky began the season 5-1 and the fans and experts were patting Mark Stoops on the back, and the administration was lining up a second contract extension in less than two years, consensus held this was a much-improved football team.

Four games later, all losses, including the most recent, Saturday's 63-31 drubbing by visiting Georgia, we must ask if we were operating under a false assumption.

Is this really an improved football team? Is Stoops really making progress, or have the advancements been overvalued by a fan base and an administration that want so badly for Kentucky to finally succeed at football?

After all, Saturday's final game at the "old" Commonwealth Stadium was bereft of any sort of improvement.

"Very embarrassing effort by our team, our coaching staff, starting with myself," is the way Stoops began his post-game news conference.

If you count a kickoff return it touched before fumbling away, Georgia possessed the football 12 times. One possession it took a knee at the end of the first half. Its final possession was stopped by the final horn. The remaining nine times, Georgia scored touchdowns.

No punts. No offensive turnovers. Not even a field goal. The Bulldogs were a perfect eight-for-eight on third-down conversions, prompting a media member to ask Stoops, a former defensive coordinator, if he had ever been part of a game in which his defense failed to get a single stop?

"I can't recall playing defense like that, no," said the head coach.

To be fair, the Cats fell victim to a perfect storm. Georgia was seething from one of the most dispiriting defeats of the Mark Richt era, an unexpected 38-20 loss to a Florida program thought to be a day or two away from firing its head coach. Kentucky just happened to be next.

Still, the 63 points were not just the most allowed in Stoops' two seasons, but the most the Bulldogs had scored in an SEC game since 1942.

Link

[ 11-09-2014, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 11-09-2014 09:45 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A terrible showing by our Cats. Too many silly mistakes for a team this far into their season. Hopefully they can show they have some pride, work to make something good happen as a team in the last two games.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-10-2014 06:28 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What really hurts is wehn youknow bringing in a top 25 recruiting class is fantastic, only to find that it ranks 8th or 9th in the SEC!
Hard to get over that hump that way!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-10-2014 08:28 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It takes time, especially in the SEC to get talented recruiting class to play right away. The SEC is so deep with talented players that our top 25 recruiting class won't show results for another year or more.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-10-2014 08:26 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This has still ben a better year than the last two combined

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-13-2014 08:56 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The tough thing is even when we are a top 25 recruiting class we still don't get the talent that most every other SEC team gets.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-13-2014 09:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a list of the top 30 recruiting classes in the country. We have the 29th best class in the country which is darn good. The bad thing however is that we have only the 8th best recruiting class in the SEC.

Link

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-13-2014 11:44 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL THE TIME ABOUT RECRUITING IN SEC, WE CAN BE THE TENTH BEST BUT THE OTHER 9 WILL BE SEC TEAMS, GO LOOK AT MY POST. JUST REALLY HARD FOR A TEAM LIKE US, KY THAT IS TO GET 6 WINS IN THE SEC.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-15-2014 03:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
G-B it happens every year.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-15-2014 03:09 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All one has to do is look at the records of the teams in the SEC. So many with winning records. The talent is amazing. The speed is like no other conference. Today is a must win though!

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com