TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Georgia exposes fools gold over UK's 5-1 start

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Georgia exposes fools gold over UK's 5-1 start
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-09-2014 08:21 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can't take those 5 wins away and even if we don't win another game this is the most wins since Jokers team in 2010 and 2011.

Fool’s gold is defined as a brassy yellow mineral that can be mistaken for gold. That’s sort of like the 5-1 start the Kentucky football team had that was mistaken as a sign that coach Mark Stoops had the UK program rebuilt.

Now that 5-1 start has slid to 5-5 after Saturday’s 63-31 thrashing from Georgia that showcased just how far the Cats still have to go to be able to play with Southeastern Conference teams on a weekly basis.

Sure, Kentucky beat South Carolina this year, but the Gamecocks are mediocre at best. Sure, UK played well in a three-overtime loss at Florida, but the Gators have just one big-time win this year. Sure, Kentucky did battle No. 1 Mississippi State before losing 45-31, but UK never had the lead in that game.

However, in three of its last four games — LSU, Missouri and Georgia — the Wildcats have been outplayed and dominated.

“We knew it would be a difficult matchup and then give up two touchdowns on special teams and one on a turnover, we don’t have much of a shot,” said a dejected UK coach Mark Stoops.

Stoops called it an “embarrassing” loss. He meant that for the players, his coaches and himself.

“Not acceptable. Just very disappointed in the way we played,” Stoops said. “Embarrassing is the word that comes to mind. We are a .500 football team. We have our two biggest rivals (Tennessee and Louisville) yet. We’ll see if we can regroup.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-09-2014 02:36 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
remember cmd I posted them wins was fools gold, I said when we got into the meat of sec we would lose 6 in a row and I still believe that. no matter how good we do in recruiting, there are all them sec teams that finish ahead of us in recruiting. it will always be hard for ky in sec, ive been watching over 45 years and it still looks the same to me. and I love ky football, or I would have given up many years ago, we will win them patsy games and beat vandy sometimes, and that will be about it. even Louisville has passed us up, very badly.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-09-2014 04:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
G-B, sorry to say your probably right but I bet you will be with many of us pulling for our Cats come Saturday.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-09-2014 11:23 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I WILL BEPULLING AS HARD AS A OLD PLOW MULE , PLOWING IN THE GARDEN. CMD, I LOVE MY WILDCATS. ITS GOING TAKE ANOTHER 2 MAYBE 3 YRS, TO GET THEM BOWL GAMES. STEADY THAT IS. WE NEED TO BUILD OUR OFFENSIVE LINE, WITH SOME BIG OL CORN FED STOUT KIDS.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-10-2014 06:27 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I felt we were jumping the gun a little thinking we could win 7 or 8 games this year. Especially with the strength of our schedule!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-10-2014 08:32 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You watch these SEC teams play every week and you realize just how deep and talented most every SEC team is. You put us in "most" any other conference and we get those 7 wins.

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-10-2014 08:58 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
Yeah, I felt we were jumping the gun a little thinking we could win 7 or 8 games this year. Especially with the strength of our schedule!

yea mh but the sad thang is we will have that kind of schedule every year, because of the strength of sec.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-10-2014 08:59 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
You watch these SEC teams play every week and you realize just how deep and talented most every SEC team is. You put us in "most" any other conference and we get those 7 wins.

cmd I agree 100 percent we could win 7 games in big 10.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-10-2014 01:56 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I use to think that, but I'm not so sure any longer. Look at Missouri. I'm not sure they won many Big 12 Titles in football and they came into the SEC and won the SEC East in year two and they are leading it again this year.

I do think the SEC West is absolutely loaded, but the SEC East is pretty weak at that moment. It is no better than the Bottom of the Big 10. Remember lowly IU went into Mizzou and beat them.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-11-2014 10:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, if you look at the SEC as a whole we are the best conference in the country with 4 teams in the top 10. That is a fact and no other conference can come close to that plus we have two other teams in the top 20. You mention the Big 10 conference but they only have "1" team in the top 10 and that is Ohio State at number "8" and 2 other in the top 20. No contest between the two conferences, I would think you would be proud of our SEC football and their accomplishments.

You also make this statement questioning Missouri's talent before joining the SEC conference.

Look at Missouri. I'm not sure they won many Big 12 Titles in football and they came into the SEC and won the SEC East in year two and they are leading it again this year.

I looked up to see exactly how good the Missouri program was before joining the SEC and I found out why the SEC invited them to join our conference. Since 2003 they have played in 9 bowl games and won 5 of those bowl games before joining the SEC. I now see why they were invited to join the SEC and why they have done so well.

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-12-2014 11:04 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

You also make this statement questioning Missouri's talent before joining the SEC conference.

Never questioned their talent one bit. I said that "they didn't win many Big 12 Championships". Actually they didn't win any (I think they made a few Championship games in the mid 2000's). My statement was saying they were a solid 10-2 or 9-3 type of team in another Power Conference and have been able to come into the SEC and in year two they made the Title game and they may make it again this year. If the SEC was so much better than the Big 12 or Big 10, that shouldn't happen, correct? Shouldn't Missouri finish like 7-5 or 6-6 if the SEC was that much more dominant than the Big 12?

Therefore, I am not so sure that UK "could" go into the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC and do much better than they have played historically in the SEC. UK is a lower level football program for a BCS school, a great year for UK is to become bowl eligible and go to a bowl like the Liberty Bowl, Music City Bowl, etc. (Which I personally think is great for UK). UK's biggest problem for football and I have said it for years is, they have zero place to pull top recruits from. They can't do it in the South because of the SEC schools, they historically haven't been able to grab 5 star players from Ohio because they go to OSU or another Big 10 school. Stoops is making a mark though I believe on the recruiting trail, but it is going to take time.

I was never knocking Mizzou's talent in my statement. I did point out that IU beat them though on their home field. That was a BAD loss for Mizzou and shows that even the historic bottom feeders in the Big 10 can compete on any given day with the better teams in the SEC, just as Kentucky has done in the past.

[ 11-13-2014, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-15-2014 03:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey posts:

I was never knocking Mizzou's talent in my statement. I did point out that IU beat them though on their home field. That was a BAD loss for Mizzou and shows that even the historic bottom feeders in the Big 10 can compete on any given day with the better teams in the SEC, just as Kentucky has done in the past.

Trey I will give you the point that both Kentucky and Indiana are bottom feeders in their respective conferences but must point out that Kentucky has beaten Indiana 9 out of the last 11 games they have played. That said don't want to look back any further than 11 years. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com