TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Our tight ends need to be more invoved in the passing game

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our tight ends need to be more invoved in the passing game
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-30-2014 08:48 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would open up more options if we did pass more to the tight ends and it sounds like we will do more of it in future games.

In Kentuck’s opening game, tight ends Steven Borden and Ronnie Shields combined to catch five passes — a sign that offensive coordinator Neal Brown wanted the tight end much more involved in the offense this year.

However, a Kentucky tight end did not have another catch until Shields had an 11-yard reception against Mississippi State last week. That ended a stretch of six games without a catch for a tight end.

Shields played more because Borden did not play due to what Brown called being a “little banged up.” Brown hopes he’ll play Saturday at Missouri.

“Ronnie is coming along. He’s a guy that really struggled at times last year, and I think he’s playing in that 10-15-snaps-a-game range going into this one. I think he played 29 snaps, and he was productive,” Brown said. “He can be a threat in the pass game if he’ll start playing fundamentally better — and he did last week — playing with a low pad level.

“Did a really good job staying on his route there. Patrick (Towles) did a good job coming down to him. He’s a guy that when — we run the ball more — the better we run the ball the more the tight ends will get involved.”

Why will a better run game help the tight ends in the passing game?

“Well we’ve played quite a bit with tight ends in the game. We’ve used them as blockers primarily. Early in the season, they were involved in some of the passing game. We’ve used them to help in protection and things like that. But we’ve played a lot in 11 personnel: one back, one tight end. We’ve played quite a bit in 21, where you’ve got a fullback and a tight end also,” Brown said.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-30-2014 10:37 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Borden could make some catches, it could really help the team. He has had a lot of drops that would have been huge plays. I really thought he would have a break out year. Would be nice to see some production out of the TE spot. That position has been a non factor all season, at least in the pass catching.....not sure if they are doing there job blocking or not....
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 10-31-2014 08:30 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
would love to have another Jacob Tamme.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-31-2014 09:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GB, now that would be sweet but not to many out there like him.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 10-31-2014 10:37 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CMD there aint any prolly right now, he still playing with Denver and peyton. and to think we almost didn't offer him a scholarship. I cant remember us having a better tight end than him. well WHALEN WAS REALLY GOOD.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-01-2014 07:58 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whalen was a receiver playing at the TE spot, getting mismatches. But, he was a play maker. UK's current TE's have hands of stone, or at least it seems like they do.

As for Tamme, wasn't he offered a scholly after a coaching change? I think the previous coach, that bum Guy Morris left and UK would not match the offer that another school made. Brooks offered him a scholly when he came aboard.

And, as long as I am kicking around rumors, just think where Kentucky would be now, if Barnhart had hired the ol ball coach instead of Brooks, who was looking for a job at the time. We wouldn't just now be heading in the right direction.

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2014 03:15 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now. Why don't we use our tight ends in the passing game?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 11-01-2014 08:00 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
Whalen was a receiver playing at the TE spot, getting mismatches. But, he was a play maker. UK's current TE's have hands of stone, or at least it seems like they do.

As for Tamme, wasn't he offered a scholly after a coaching change? I think the previous coach, that bum Guy Morris left and UK would not match the offer that another school made. Brooks offered him a scholly when he came aboard.

And, as long as I am kicking around rumors, just think where Kentucky would be now, if Barnhart had hired the ol ball coach instead of Brooks, who was looking for a job at the time. We wouldn't just now be heading in the right direction.

U ARE EXACTLY RIGHT ON ALL ACCOUNTS, BOOM.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2014 09:08 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure the Ol' Ballcoach would have taken the job if offered. Spurrier is smart enough to see that KY has been and always will be a rebuilding job!
Not a knock on our program, but we've spent more time rebuilding than staying up when we get there!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-01-2014 09:39 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can believe it or not, but what I have been told by a lot of people was that Spurrier wanted the job and that it was offered to Brooks by Mitch. May be fact , may be myth.. but it has been told to me by a handful of different sources. Take that bit of info for what it is worth.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2014 09:47 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh well, hind sight is always 20/20!

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com