TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops offers no excuses but still confident

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops offers no excuses but still confident
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-26-2014 09:08 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To play the number one team in the country the way we did has to mean something and hopefully we can get a win next Saturday against Missouri. We need a win if we expect to get a bowl bid.

Mark Stoops made no excuses after No. 1 Mississippi State beat Kentucky 45-31.

He didn’t mention the four fumbles Mississippi State had — and recovered them all. He didn’t complain about the onside kick try that was returned for a touchdown by the Bulldogs. He understood why the Bulldogs were able to break a late 77-yard scoring run against a “desperate” UK defensive call.

“We got beat by a better football team. Give Mississippi State credit. They are a good, strong, tough football team,” said Stoops. “I appreciate our team’s effort. We did not play well enough to beat the No. 1 team in the country.

“Our guys went about their business. Their minds were right, their hearts were right. They tried the best they could. They were a better football team. As always in a loss, we all can do better. We will do better. We’ll get back to work. But give Mississippi State credit, they made the plays when they had to. They were a very physical football team, as you saw. Bottom line, they were a good team and they beat us.”

The Bulldogs rushed for 326 yards one week after LSU gashed UK for 303 yards. Many of the yards came after contact when State runners bounced off would-be UK tacklers.

“Obviously, we have to do things better, be more physical, make tackles,” Stoops said. “But you have to give them credit for what they did. They made us miss. We had guys bouncing off them a couple different times. That’s what I said earlier in the week. That’s what you look like when you’re a big, strong, physical football team. They broke tackles and made plays when they had to.”

Kentucky is now 5-3 and still needing one win to be bowl eligible. The Cats play three of their final four games away, including the next one at Missouri. Stoops said he had no concerns going forward.

“I mean, our team is strong. They’re strong in the mind. They’re strong in the heart. We’re not perfect. We’re a work in progress. I have no problem with their attitude or what they’re doing. These are pretty good football teams we’re playing,” the UK coach said.

“It’s good to see our team being resilient, fighting. I like their attitude, I like the way we’re working, trying the best we can. We’re fighting.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-29-2014 10:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we really have a great coach in Stoops but worry about some well known program offering him some big bucks to coach their team.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-30-2014 08:33 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is my take on the "Will some team steal him away or not" deal.

I am in no way on the inside or have heard any gossip or innuendos from anyone in the know. I am purely speculating.

This program is not the UK program of old. I am not talking about the staff, I am talking about the program itself. The football program has long been a cash cow that was just like some trust fund that a rich kid has set up for him. he likes that he has it, but he never really appreciates it. When UK hired Barnhart, I thought finally the university went and got a football guy that will do something with the program. I have been very disappointed with Barn hart, until the Stoops era. To be fair, it not Barnhart's fault, but I incorrectly assumed that Barnhart could change the status quo of Kentucky football.

Finally, the University of Kentucky has an SEC football program. The improvements to the stadium and other facilities are huge. Why haven't they done this before? Not sure. But, the SEC network and the new media package deal with JMI is huge. Kentucky also has boosters that are now donating money to the football program, where before it was only basketball.

As for Stoops:

First,he sought out Kentucky. He wanted the job.

Second, this is the place where he can be a legend. Who will be his only competition as far as a legacy? Bear Bryant. We all know that he is Alabama's Bear Bryant, not Kentucky's Bear Bryant. I truly believe he can build something great here at Kentucky.

Third, Coach Stoops was quoted as saying was that at Kentucky, he can coach and not be under the scrutiny that his brother is at Oklahoma. Not every up and coming coach has that kind of network from family members to tell them what it is like to be under that kind of pressure.

And finally, Kentucky has the money to pay him and his staff a competitive wage. He and his staff will make more money as the program improves. I do think there will be programs coming after him. I truly believe Kentucky is a place that is now committed to having a competitive and winning program and where he can have long term job security and make a good living.

I, personally, don't think he would leave for anything but a few elite jobs. Those elite jobs wouldn't offer a new head coach that has not accomplished anything, yet. If one of those jobs came open down the road, after Stoops has managed to do something great at Kentucky, he will have a difficult choice to make. Do I stay at Kentucky and be the legend that built and maintained a winning program, or do I go to a storied program, where I will be footnote in their history and possible be on the chopping block if he only wins 10 games in a year where he is expected to win them all?

[ 10-30-2014, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com