TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Cats did not have normal “intensity and energy” to start LSU game

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats did not have normal “intensity and energy” to start LSU game
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-19-2014 11:10 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have to hang in there and support our Cats in the good times and the bad times.

Special teams miscues put Kentucky in trouble against LSU immediately and then the Wildcats could not consistently stop the Tigers’ running game or generate any consistent offense in Saturday night’s 41-3 loss to host LSU.

It was a dose of reality for Kentucky after a surprising 5-1 start and reminder why LSU has lost just three times in the last 48 night games at Tiger Stadium — and all were to teams either ranked No. 1 or that eventually were ranked No. 1.

Kentucky had 32 plays for 0 or minus yards. The Cats averaged just 3.4 yards per play and LSU had eight tackles for loss that led to a career-high eight punts for Kentucky’s Landon Foster, including one that was returned for a touchdown in the first quarter. LSU rushed for 303 yards, the most given up by a Mark Stoops’ defense in his two years at UK (the previous high was 299 versus Alabama).

The Tigers also knew to come into a game ready to play, something that apparently Kentucky did not do based on what sophomore safety Marcus McWilson — who did have his second interception of the season — said after the game on the UK Radio Network.

“I don’t think we were intimidated. I think guys came on the field a little lackluster. I didn’t think we had the intensity and energy we normally have and that got us in a hole early,” McWilson said.

McWilson said the numerous special teams mistakes — LSU had 159 return yards in the first half along with a fumble recovery on a kickoff — put UK in a tremendous hole.

It will not define us. We will go back to work and get some things fixed,” Stoops said on the UK Radio Network. “I have no reason to believe this group won’t accept responsibility and come back. That was not our best effort.

He said he thought the team’s pride would motivate it after the lopsided loss.

“I have no reason to believe it wouldn’t,” he said.

Still, Stoops admitted the LSU secondary was able to “maul” his receivers with their physical play and kept the offense out of sync from the start — and No. 1 Mississippi State easily manhandled LSU earlier this season.

“We couldn’t move the ball. We were off and they covered us. We couldn’t run it very well,” he said. “Yeah, that’s a rough effort. We have to grow up and learn to win some one on ones.”
About a hour after the game ended, Kentucky fullback D.J. Warren tweeted a message for UK fans that matched what Stoops said.

“Not the result that we wanted. We win together and we lose together. We’ll get better….no doubt. Hang in there with us BBN,” Warren tweeted.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-19-2014 11:23 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Worst special teams performance by a Stoops team. (Kinda makes me wonder if Paveto had an axe to grind with Stoops. I secretly wondered if he offered to stay at Kentucky if they gave him a raise? I bet we will never know the answer to that one.) (Now, I am wondering if Paveto is just that good or the new special teams coach is just that bad?)

The offense was pitiful. They did not execute. The Cats would have still got thumped, had the special teams showed up, because the offense was non existent.

That being said, they need to bounce back, and get back to being competitive. They don't have to win the next few games, but they need to be competitive, to keep positive momentum going for the rest of the season.

They surely can't afford to have any more crappy play by the special teams, if they want a chance at winning more games.

They are much improved, from the last few seasons, but they have a chance to go to a bowl, if they can put this game behind them and fix their mistakes.

[ 10-19-2014, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 10-19-2014 01:53 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would bet our special teams coach wont be back next year. and I did not like them trick plays. our talent level is still not as good as the upper sec teams. jmo

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-20-2014 06:55 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green-Bean:
I would bet our special teams coach wont be back next year. and I did not like them trick plays. our talent level is still not as good as the upper sec teams. jmo

I agree with you that Kentucky is not as talented at the top tier SEC teams. Stoops has only been here two years and his first class was put together on the fly. They are very young at LB. The staff is bringing in a talented group of linemen, but they take time to mature and develop. The young skill guys are what we notice right away. In two more years, the team will be mostly all players brought in by Stoops and staff.

Imagine how good the offense will be when the have senior and junior receivers who are strong enough not to get pushed out of their routes and catch everything thrown to them.

This team isn't where we would like them to be, but they are a lot further along than were the last couple of seasons.

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 10-20-2014 10:29 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom I agree with you, but imo it all starts with the O line And the D line until we get mosters on them 2 it will be hard to compete.now ive not lost faith, ive followed ky football for almost 50 yrs. I was a youngster, watching them at stoll field, but uk has been a graveyard for football coaches, I just hope Stoops don't fall in.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-20-2014 06:24 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe we now have a head coach more concerned with winning than catting around and chasing women. They need one more win to go to a bowl. Most prognosticators gave them 5 wins max. Just need 1 more.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-20-2014 10:59 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our biggest problem last Saturday was like you said, the offensive line. they are either not opening up any holes for the backs to run thru, or we don't have anyone who can run the ball consistently. Hope this showing did not discourage Harris and make him lean to Ohio State.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-20-2014 11:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When you let your opponent score "41" points in the first 3 quarters your going to have to open a lot of holes on offense to keep pace.... We were bad on both sides of the ball and just have to move forward, forget LSU and play the hard nose football like we played in the previous game.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com