TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Linebacker play has helped the Cats big time

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Linebacker play has helped the Cats big time
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-14-2014 01:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We would not be 5-1 with out our linebacker play this season.

Kentucky’s defense hasn’t traditionally been known as a driving force behind the team’s success. In fact, the Wildcats’ defense hasn’t been known to make headlines.

A year ago, the Wildcats had just three interceptions during a second-straight 2-10 campaign but have turned the corner this season with 11 pickoffs in their first six games, which ranks fourth nationally and second in the Southeastern Conference.

The successful turnaround has been helped by a solid linebacker corps anchored by juniors Josh Forrest and Khalid Henderson. Alvin “Bud” Dupree and Jason Hatcher have split time at end and linebacker in the team’s various schemes.

Forrest leads Kentucky with 46 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss of 23 yards, one sack and a 29-yard touchdown return for a touchdown in Kentucky’s 48-14 win over Louisiana-Monroe last Saturday in Lexington. Forrest hasn’t been surprised by the team’s 5-1 start at the midway point of the regular season.

“We worked hard this off-season,” he said. “Really for two years we’ve been working hard. I felt the time was coming.”

Like Forrest, Henderson also has been an anchor in Kentucky’s defense and is second behind Forrest in tackles with 35 in five games. Henderson leads the team with two fumble recoveries.

“It’s satisfying, because of the hard work in the off-season but at the same time, we’re taking advantage of every single game. It’s not surprising, we’re taking advantage of all of the hard work that we’ve put in.”

Henderson said he hasn’t been surprised by the team’s ability to make plays on the defensive side of the ball.

“We’re taking advantage of the opportunities,” Henderson said. “We tried to take advantage of opportunities when the (opposing) offense makes mistakes and capitalize on those opportunities. I don’t think we’ve surprised anybody. We’re just trying to make plays.”

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops praised his linebackers Monday and said they were “much better” in Kentucky’s win over the Warhawks last week and singled out the play of Henderson.

“I thought he played his best game,” Stoops said. “He really improved. Josh (Forrest) played better against the run as well. Like I’ve said over and over, Josh does some things very well, but overall as a unit, they took great pride in trying to improve.”

Henderson had eight tackles in a 59-14 win over Tennessee Martin in the team’s opener and recorded eight in a triple overtime loss at Florida on Sept. 13. Forrest recorded 15 tackles in the Wildcats’ 45-38 triumph over South Carolina on Oct. 4 in Lexington.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-15-2014 06:42 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Against LSU our ends are going to have to stay at home to keep the RB's from sweeping around the end for big gains in the running dept. I don't expect a win on Saturday, but I do expect us to be competitive!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com