TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops enjoys seeing Towels scramble but...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops enjoys seeing Towels scramble but...
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-08-2014 11:38 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The defensive coordinators were not so happy to see him scramble to due to the possibility of injury.

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops couldn’t help smiling when talking about the way quarterback Patrick Towles lowered his shoulder and tried to run over a would-be Ohio tackler Saturday.

“He’s just a big guy. He’s sneaky fast, and actually we’re rubbing it in with some of our guys with our GPS in practice and in games. He actually hit the highest number a week ago,” Stoops said. “I’m not going to tell you what that number is because then it’ll tell you about our other guys.

“But no, he ran ‑‑ he’s sneaky fast. He’s making good decisions. Wasn’t perfect in all of his decision making today, but I liked the fact that me being a frustrated defensive coordinator all these years, when you have a quarterback wrapped up and they scramble out, it breaks your back, and that happened to us today defensively quite a bit, and very aggravating, especially at the end of the first half. But Patrick is doing that to people, too, which is good to see.”

Towles had 22 carries — five were quarterback sacks — in Saturday’s 20-3 win over Ohio and had four runs of 10 or more yards. He also ran three quarterback sneaks for first downs.

“I mean, he’s 245 pounds. He’s got a good feel. He’s been playing a long time. He knows when he needs to get down and when he can – the third downs, he needs to get the (first) down and some of the first-down, second-down plays, normal down and distance, he needs to not take so many hits,” UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown said.

“I think he’s a threat to run. He’s a threat to run. You’ve gotta account for it. They move a ton up front. They slant and move their defensive linemen a bunch. I thought we could run some power schemes with Patrick running it. I thought we could take some advantage of some things.”

Towles knew going into the game that he might have to run more than usual because of the Ohio defense.

“Some plays just didn’t go the way that we wanted and I ran,” Towles said after Saturday’s win. “I’m a pass first guy, but if that doesn’t happen, I gotta make a play. I’m not afraid to get hit. I’m a big guy. I try to give them as much as they’re giving me.”

However, he knows carrying the football 22 times, especially against SEC defenses, could be a problem.

“I’m making it through so far. Obviously, we’ll play some bigger, stronger teams, but you know, whatever he gives me, I’ll take it,” Towles said. “There were some times toward the end of the game there that I probably could’ve hung in there a little bit longer but I got out. So we’ll look at it and figure which times I should’ve hung in there a little bit and which times I should’ve got out.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 09-08-2014 12:47 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Towels carries that ball that much in sec games, we will be taking a QB off redshirt cause Towels will be hurt for the season.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com