TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » What Bama and his sidekicks will do for the fans

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Bama and his sidekicks will do for the fans
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-29-2014 01:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You go to a home Kentucky game and you will be treated like a king or queen.

On Saturday, UK football will open the second season of the Mark Stoops era against UT Martin. Just as coaches and players have prepared during the offseason, UK Athletics has worked to improve the game-day atmosphere at Commonwealth Stadium.

Based on nearly 1,700 fan suggestions through BBN First, UK Athletics has implemented the following enhancements to game day at Commonwealth Stadium for the 2014 season.

Weekly music vote – In partnership with four Lexington radio stations, UK is asking fans to vote on songs from four genres – hip hop, pop, rock and country – each week leading up to game day. The winning songs will be played during timeouts each home Saturday throughout the season. Additionally, new songs have been added to the game-day playlist, as is the case each offseason.

Kickoff Playoff – In July, eight UK football team leaders each chose a song they wanted to hear immediately before kickoff for the season opener. Fans then voted on their favorites in tournament format, selecting Braylon Heard’s choice of “Who Run It” after casting nearly 13,000 total votes.

Entertainment between plays –Southeastern Conference bylaws have changed to allow video, audio and music to be played between downs. UK Athletics will capitalize on this change with entertainment and crowd prompts between plays.

Pre-fourth quarter tradition – In BBN First suggestions, fans clamored for exciting new in-game traditions, more former player involvement and a more engaging role for the Wildcat Marching Band. Combining these three things, UK will unveil a new tradition between the third and fourth quarter.

In-game score updates – The continuous loop of game scores will move to a more visible portion of the ribbon boards, allowing fans to stay up to date on college football action throughout the country.

Live national anthem performers – After the success of Marlana VanHoose’s performance of the national anthem at the Blue/White Spring Game, more live performers will be featured at Commonwealth this season. For Saturday’s season opener, Miss Kentucky Ramsey Carpenter will perform the national anthem on fiddle.

Roving pep bands – Roving pep bands will move through different tailgating lots pregame to help build the pregame atmosphere.

Wildcat Refuge – A new giant cornhole board will be available at the Wildcat Refuge, located outside Gate 9. UK is also making a concerted effort to educate fans about the area, which features activities for families and children.

Guest services – With numerous changes due to ongoing renovations at Commonwealth, four new guest services locations have been added to assist fans in the adjustment process. In addition to the four on the lower level, two have been added on the upper level and two more outside Gates 1 and 9, which open five hours prior to kickoff.

Parking – In spite of substantial losses due to ongoing construction and a government-mandated FEMA project, UK Athletics offered parking passes to all season ticket holders who had passes last season by creating new parking options. Prioritizing convenience for fans, working staff will also park farther away from the stadium.

Free water – Complimentary 10-ounce cups of water will be available to fans at stadium concession stands this season.

Restrooms – Additional attendants will work in the restrooms at Commonwealth this season, helping to ensure cleanliness and orderliness.

Shuttles – Additional shuttles servicing non-permit parking areas will be offered this season. For complete information on shuttles, fans can visit the official Kentucky Gameday site or ask The Cats Domain's very own "Bama".

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-31-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that there are bus shuttles from downtown to the corner of Cooper & University running before games time and start returning people when the game ends. Price is reasonable. They have moved a lot of the game day workers parking to PS1 which is on the corner of Cooper and University. I left about 20 minutes after the game and was out of there and out Nicholasville road in about 20-25 minutes.

One thing that may affect parking next season is the new baseball field which is supposed to be built where the Alumni Rd first approaches the stadium. Looks like that would cut the parking by a good amount. But s ome people have told me that fans here have it better than other SEC schools because most of them don't have near the parking space next to the stadium that we do.

As far as all the things mentioned above. They did play the most requested song of each genre at a break in the game. They shot shirts into the stands about 4 times during the game to different sections. There was a lot of music played all day that is not my type of music but they did have some country rock also. They had a long time out during the last quarter that I had no idea what was going on. I never found out until I saw a stretcher being taken off. And I didn't know until I got home that it was a cheerleader that fell.

I didn't think about current BB players sitting in the recruit section but I found out that families of the players, whole high school teams such as swimming, tennis, soccer, etc can be there. But when 9 of our BB players came up the steps past me I lost my voice for the most part. First Hawkins and Poythress came in and sat down about 12 feet from me. Shortly thereafter came the Harrisons, Polson and Lee. Then alittle later came Towns, Ulis and Booker. They left at halftime with a 35-0 score. Could be coach requires them to show up for support of other team. I was ready to divide them up and have a halftime scrimmage but they left.

Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-31-2014 07:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, did you feel dwarfed when they walked by you? [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-31-2014 08:06 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No I didn't. I thought they didn't look so big and imposing as they do on TV. It may have been because of the steps and seating rows going up. Polson looked extremely small and Towns didn't look as filled out as he looks on TV. Now Lee is the one who really needs to put on some poundage. He is nowhere ready to go toe to toe with the NBA guys. I would be willing to bet that he stays for at least 3 years to get his body heavier. Ulis looked about like I would have expected. Little. Ha! Ha!
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com