TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops sees 2 positions where UK has SEC talent and depth

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops sees 2 positions where UK has SEC talent and depth
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-27-2014 04:03 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have a ways to go and Stoops realizes this but we will get better by the game. It's going take time before we will be a force in the SEC.

To judge what kind of rebuilding task Mark Stoops still faces at Kentucky, consider that he says he only has athletes at two positions — defensive end and running back — that have legitimate Southeastern Conference talent and depth.

His two best defensive players — Bud Dupree and Za’Darius Smith — both play defensive end. They are backed up by sophomore Jason Hatcher, one of UK’s top 2013 recruits.

At running back, Kentucky has Nebraska transfer Braylon Heard and sophomore JoJo Kemp, UK’s best runner last year despite being slowed by bone spurs, at the top of the depth chart with veteran Josh Clemons and true freshmen Boom Williams and Mikel Horton also both expected to play this year.

“I would say D-end and running back I feel good about,” said Stoops Wednesday on the Southeastern Conference coaches teleconference. “Outside of that, we are not there yet.

“It is not fun to be thin at any position. It hurts you in so many ways with how long you can practice, how physical you can be in practice. It slows the development of your program when not deep enough.”

That’s why any progress UK makes this year after back-to-back 2-10 seasons might be a result of Dupree and Smith turning down a chance to enter the NFL draft after last year to return to Kentucky.

“It’s really important for those two to come back. As I said a lot through the off‑season, leadership is the first thing that jumps out at you. But also confidence. Our players see those guys out there, they make plays, are consistent, they’re always there. They’re great to have,” Stoops said.

“I’m pretty tight with my compliments. You know that over the course of the year and a half. I’m really conservative when it comes to complimenting guys until they’ve proved it and earned it. I probably haven’t complimented those guys enough, to be honest with you. They are tremendous football players, great leaders. They’re going to be great pros.

Link

[ 08-27-2014, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com