TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Cats ready to play some up-tempo football

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats ready to play some up-tempo football
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-27-2014 08:49 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to the coachs we are going to see more up tempo football this year which should mean putting more points on the board if we have the offensive skills to sustain drives. Time will tell.

When Kentucky opened the Mark Stoops era against Western Kentucky in Nashville last year, offensive coordinator Neal Brown readily admits the offense “did not play with very good tempo” in the stunning loss.

That’s why he says he’ll have a “simple game plan” against UT-Martin Saturday when the Wildcats open Stoops’ second season — and play their first season-opener at Commonwealth Stadium since 2007.

“We’ll pick our spots in this game. I want to make sure that we’re not playing so fast that we’re hurting ourselves. But we’re in a position now, going into our second fall, that we’re able to play really fast when we need to. And there’s going to be some times in this game where we’ll play at a really quick pace — faster than we ever executed last year,” said Brown.

Brown’s goal is for the fast pace to wear down defenses, something that didn’t happen enough last year because of UK’s lack of consistency on offense. Brown hopes that changes with sophomore quarterback Patrick Towles now the starter.

“It does. It showed in our first big scrimmage we had. I think Coach Stoops talked to y’all about it: We were able to get some big plays toward the second half. And that’s one of the reasons why you do tempo,” Brown said.

Stoops expects a faster, more productive offense.

“I think we’ll be much faster week one this year than we were at any point last year,” Stoops said. “We’re the style of offense, we’ve got to get some production on first down. That’s a big key for us to move the football. We’re not good enough on any side yet to go fast and not get first downs. So we have to move the ball, and even though you’re going fast, you still have to chew up some clock by getting first downs and running plays. But I feel good. I feel like we’re improved, and they’re ready to go.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-27-2014 11:41 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brown has stated that last year's team had the least talent that he has ever worked with at WR. Couple that with not having a QB ready to fit his style of play, and you have an offense that does not get the job done.

I am hoping that this season, UK's offense will resemble the Texas Tech teams that Brown coached.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com