TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Why Bud Dupree didn't leave Kentucky

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Bud Dupree didn't leave Kentucky
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-26-2014 04:46 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Dupree owes a "big" thank you to Joker Phillips for getting him to play on the defensive side of the ball which will get him to the NFL.

The first time then head coach Joker Phillips asked Bud Dupree to move from tight end to defense, Dupree didn’t pay any attention to him.

“I brushed him off. I was like, ‘Yeah, whatever.’ Then he started laughing and I walked away. The next time he asked me, he was like, ‘We need you to move to defense.’ I was just brushed him off again,” said Dupree, now a senior defensive end and one of the top players in the SEC. “The third time he actually told me to go to the meeting. I said, ‘If you are going to put me on defense, I am going to change my number.’

“So I went home and I called my mother and told her I was going to transfer. But I stayed and said, ‘Can I get No. 2?’ So they gave me No. 2 and I was okay with it. But it was getting the number that kept me here.”

Link

[ 08-28-2014, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-26-2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Getting the number you want seems like a pretty stupid reason to make ANY decision.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-26-2014 05:56 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
Getting the number you want seems like a pretty stupid reason to make ANY decision.

I agree. Does not make sense to me either.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-27-2014 10:25 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The right answer would have been coach, I just want to play Football, even if I wear a feed sack. jmo.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-27-2014 03:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
G-B, this is exactly what Dupree has to say. He is a good guy and a heck of a team player no matter what number he wears.

“I am thinking about a winning season. The NFL will come. Once my team gets better, I will get better in the NFL draft. So I am just looking at it as a win-win situation because once my team wins, people will see I am not all about myself but about my team as well and other teams will really want me. I am not always really worried about how I improve. I am just trying to bring other people with me as much as I improve.”

His brother, Travis Carswell, said he thinks an offseason mission trip to Africa that Dupree took with UK teammates and other athletics personnel helped his focus on this year.

“I think that mission trip going to Africa and seeing how things were there helped him. He has put everything in perspective. He is on track to graduate in December. That is a big goal. That is something I have always preached to him to focus on school and the NFL will come. He is putting everything in order,” Carswell said.

“I think this year will be his breakout season. He doesn’t like to be compared to anybody and wants to set his own standards at Kentucky. I look forward to this season. The only thing I hate is that I coach and we play on Saturday as well. I hope we have open game so I can watch. But I keep up with him. After every game he will call and tell me how everything went and we hope a lot goes well for him and the team this year.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com