TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Coachs trying to keep Kemp healthy

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coachs trying to keep Kemp healthy
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-22-2014 03:52 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Kemp stays healthy for the entire season the Cats will be a team to contend with as he means that much to our season.

Even though he led Kentucky in rushing last year as a true freshman, JoJo Kemp is not sure there was a time during the 2013 season when he was totally healthy.

“I came in with those bone spurs in my ankle, and after games and practice my ankle was hurting. I got the bone spurs removed and now I am cutting at full speed. I don’t have that knife stabbing in my ankle now. So I am good and ready to go,” Kemp said.

The coaches have been extra cautious with Kemp in preseason workouts so not to create any injury issues.

“He is stronger now than at any point last year. We saw signs of what he could do then, especially that Louisville game when he made some one-foot cuts and made a quality defense miss and he got yards after contact,” offensive coordinator Neal Brown said. “Then those bone spurs really started bothering him and slowed him down. He couldn’t make those same cuts.

“You have got to be really careful with running backs in fall camp, and even during the season. Running backs only have so many carries in the tank and hits they can take in their career, and you don’t want to use too many up in practice.”

Kemp ran 100 times for 482 yards and three touchdowns last year, averaging 4.8 yards per rush. He had five carries for a season-high 80 yards against Louisville.

The sophomore running back understands what the coaches are doing in practice, but he doesn’t like it.

“I am one of those guys that wants to be with the team any chance I get. I am one of those guys that I take advantage of each and every day,” he said. “I kind of get down by myself, but at the same time people around me and coaches keep my head up when I am not practicing.

“I am the type of person that wants to be ready to go each and every day. I don’t like taking breaks. They have not been giving me a lot of reps because they don’t want anything to happen to me. They want to save my legs and make sure I am fresh for the games.

LInk

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com