TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops not ready to name the back-up QB yet

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops not ready to name the back-up QB yet
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-18-2014 09:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds like all our QB's are pretty close in abilities.

Now that Kentucky has named Patrick Towles the starting quarterback for the season-opening game Aug. 30 against UT-Martin, the next quarterback question is who will be the backup.

True freshman Drew Barker and redshirt freshman Reese Phillips drew praise from both coach Mark Stoops and offensive coordinator Neal Brown Monday for the way they competed with Towles.

Stoops laughed and said to “give me one day” when asked who the backup quarterback would be.

“We’re really not in a position. I really felt like all three guys were very close all along, with Max (Smith) being the fourth because of his shoulder. And that set him back. He missed all spring, he missed a good portion of this camp. But Max really has improved. So he (Towles) won it over Drew and Reese, and I’m not prepared to name a backup yet. I have confidence in both of those guys,” said Stoops.

“Obviously the other guys were disappointed, which it’s kind of a bittersweet day when you have to tell guys that what they’ve worked for is not going to happen,” Brown said. “Those other guys have got to be ready to go. I think I looked at the — you guys can back this up, but I think only two starting quarterbacks in the SEC started every game last year. So, the backup, whoever it’s going to be, has got to be ready to play.”

Brown later said on Kentucky Sports Radio that he would like to redshirt Barker — and every other freshman — and explained how that most freshmen quarterbacks that make a significant impact are redshirt freshmen.

Stoops wanted not part of the redshirt talk about Barker, who picked UK over South Carolina and helped put together UK’s strong 2014 recruiting class.

“I really don’t want to even discuss that or even open that door right now. I want Drew to keep working and keep on battling and we’ll see where that goes,” Stoops said.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com