TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Stoops opts out of Goveners Cup

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoops opts out of Goveners Cup
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-22-2014 08:49 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really like Stoops and think he is a good man and coach but this decision is not a good one for the points brought out in this article.

Even though Kentucky officials say that head coach Mark Stoops told the Governor’s Cup months ago that he would not attend Wednesday’s annual luncheon Louisville, news Monday that the second-year UK head coach has opted out was a bit surprising.

Every indication about the event indicated that both head coaches — Stoops and Bobby Petrino of Louisville — would be there along with Gov. Steve Beshear and other celebrities.

The luncheon and golf event raise money for Dare to Care. The event started when the rivalry was renewed and the game was played to start the season. The idea was to promote the season-opening game and generate more talk and interest about football in the state. Even when UK elected to have the game the third week on years it hosted the rivalry, the Governor’s Cup luncheon and golf scramble still went on in July. This year the game has been moved to the season-ending game in late November.

“Coach looked at the event and his schedule and driving to Louisville doing a news conference and then driving back to Lexington would take a full day and he did not think that made the best sense for a game scheduled the last week and is four months away,” Evan Crane of UK media relations said. “He thought it best to invest his time in practice planning and recruiting. He thought that was better than talking now about a game that is the last game of the year.”

Stoops, though, will still speak to the Rotary Club in Lexington and a UK alumni event in Louisville Friday but the emphasis will be on the season, not the UK-Louisville game.

Petrino apparently still plans to stop by the luncheon. He will not hold a press conference, but he will be available to local media members. That has Louisville fans blasting Stoops for not having the same regard as Petrino for the event.

While Stoops certainly has a right to choose where he will or will not speak — and he is not one who seems to overly enjoy public speaking — there are several issues here.

First, those who sponsored the event or agreed to pay to play golf thinking the head coaches would be there have to be disappointed. The event’s website Monday still read “join Governor Beshear and the head coaches for a day of golf” in Louisville.

Second, I feel bad for the honorees from both schools. Former Louisville players Larry Ball, Roman Oben and Chris Redman will be honored along with former Cats Wilbur Hackett, Warren Bryant and Dean Wells.

And as one who had attended every Governor’s Cup luncheon to hear the head coaches, visit with assistant coaches from both schools and start the UK-Louisville hype, it’s easy to see why having the game to close the season makes the event no longer feasible in its current format.

However, it’s still also sad to see an event that has promoted charitable endeavors and raised awareness for UK and Louisville football just go away.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 07-26-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe Stoops is a Republican.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 07-26-2014 07:18 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
maybe he considers recruiting and getting this team ready to play more important then playing golf.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9796 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 07-27-2014 04:48 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think he just didn't want to go there and Glorify Louisville, stoops said he just didn't have the time right now, and he would be doing a lot of talking about the game during the year if someone wanted to.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com