TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Spurrier says fans want win over Clemson more than a SEC title

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spurrier says fans want win over Clemson more than a SEC title
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-15-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, that says a lot about their hate for Clemson. What would you rather have a win over Louisville or a SEC basketball title? Forget it I know the answer, a win over Louisville "and" the SEC title. [Smile]

Kentucky and Louisville fans are not the only ones who value a win over the in-state rival more than anything. South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier says it is the same way with his fan base when it comes to in-state rival Clemson.

“What I’ve also learned at South Carolina, our fans realize there’s more to life than winning the SEC championship. They really do,” Spurrier said. “We’re in a state with Clemson. Clemson used to pretty much own South Carolina in football, no question about it. We have a state championship trophy. If you ask our fans at South Carolina, I can assure you a majority would say, ‘We would rather beat Clemson than win the SEC.’ That is how big it is to them, that one game.

“Personally I’d rather win the SEC. I don’t mind saying that. Personally that’s the bigger trophy. But if we’re not quite good enough, if it doesn’t work out, we’re not going to hang our hat and say, ‘We’re not going to win the SEC.’ But there’s other things out there.

“I’ve also learned over the last several years when you win that bowl game, life is a lot more comfortable in the off‑season. Whoever wins that bowl game, you get ranked in the top 10. We were never in the top 10 till the last three years. Done that every year since we started winning the bowl games.

“Hopefully we can add an SEC championship. I can assure you, I tell those recruits, If you come here, hopefully you’ll be on the first‑ever SEC championship team ever. That’s still our goal. We haven’t quite done it. I think we’ve been close but not close enough.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com