TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Recruiting Talk   » UK / NCAA Hoops Recruiting   » Coronavirus cancellations add uncertainty to UK basketball recruiting

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coronavirus cancellations add uncertainty to UK basketball recruiting
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-23-2020 01:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like almost every other facet of American life, the new coronavirus has upended the normal offseason roster churn process in the Kentucky basketball program.

With at least five members of the 2019-20 roster considering entering the NBA draft, uncertainty about when the draft will happen, whether teams will be able to bring prospects in for pre-draft workouts and if the NBA will host its normal scouting combine amid the COVID-19 pandemic has created additional questions about whether those Kentucky players will start their professional careers.

Without knowing which players will be back next season, coach John Calipari is faced with a difficult proposition of which positions to pursue for the final spots on his 2020-21 roster, either though transfers or high school prospects reclassifying from 2021 to 2020.

The NCAA has also temporarily banned in-person recruiting for coaches in all sports and has yet to decide if seniors who were unable to play in the NCAA Tournament will be granted another year of eligibility.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-24-2020 09:33 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah this is a big problem for both the 5 players and coach Cal. Right now he doesn't know which ones will be back and which ones will stay in the draft. Who does he recruit??

Of course Sestina is almost definitely gone because I don't see them giving him a waiver for another year.

You would think Richards isgone also after the great year he had. But wait, he is projected in the second round, maybe. Without any tryouts who knows what will happen??? There is a way that he could decide to return because of all the uncertainty.

Montgomery can not put his name in the draft unless he knows he is leaving, wheter drafted or not. He can not remove his name once he did that last year. I'd say he has a good chance of returning because he is not listed in anyones 60 player draft.

Hagans had a second year similar to the one he had last year as he started fast and coasted out at the end. He has the tools but he is still too inconsistent and he could decide he needs to have a better year if he wants to get drafted higher. He is one I could see not getting picked in the draft without some workouts.

Quickly had a great year and very seldom had a let down in his overall game. He has the 3 pt shot and can play defense but hasn't had much chance to play PG, which he will have to do in the NBA. He may comeback to see if he can play some PG to prove himself to the scouts. Then again UK has Askew coming in at PG and depending on what Hagans decides to do he may not get as much PG time as he would need. Tough decision.

Maxey has been a top 10 draft choice most of the year and most of the games he performed as a top 10 draft choice. He is the only one I can see almost definitely going in the draft no matter what.

Do we have 1 going in the draft or do we have 2 or 3 going?? I just don't see 4 or 5 of these kids leaving.

[ 03-24-2020, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-26-2020 12:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great post, thank you Bama..

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com