TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Recruiting Talk   » UK / NCAA Hoops Recruiting   » UK's early recruiting class impressive

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK's early recruiting class impressive
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-23-2018 05:32 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The early signing period for college basketball recruits ended Wednesday, and — barring any late surprises — it appears Kentucky will go into the winter with three commitments.

There was plenty of disappointment for the Cats during the fall recruiting period, but John Calipari and his coaching staff have still put together a solid group for their 2019 class, with a few more spots likely to be filled between now and next summer.

Earlier this week, Calipari talked about Texas point guard Tyrese Maxey and Pendleton County wing Dontaie Allen, who have both officially signed with the Wildcats.

“They’re going to be terrific here, both of them,” Calipari said. “I think Maxey gives you the size at guard and the playmaking ability and shot-making ability. He defends. He rebounds. He’s one of those. This was a guy that I really felt, we really had to get that guy. And Dontaie, being in state, you always want to get that guy. You want to get a guy that, you know, ‘This guy can make it.’ And he can make it here. A guy that wants to be here. You always want guys that want to be here.

“Those two guys, I think, are built for this. I’m happy about them.”

Calipari has not yet publicly addressed the commitment of five-star wing Kahlil Whitney, who did not officially sign with the Cats during the early period. (College coaches are not permitted to comment on recruits until they’ve signed with a school).

Some players over the past few years have signed during the early period but not announced those signings until a few days later, but that’s not likely to be the case with Whitney. A ZagsBlog report this week said that Whitney plans to sign with Kentucky in the spring.

The Chicago native attends high school in New Jersey, and he was unable to get back to his hometown — where much of his family still lives — during the one-week fall recruiting period. “His dream has always been to do it at his elementary school in Chicago, and it didn’t work out for the fall,” according to the ZagsBlog report.

Whitney is UK’s highest-ranked commitment — No. 8 nationally, according to the 247Sports composite rankings, and he is still firmly committed to the Cats with no plans to reopen his recruitment. The spring signing period begins April 17.

Maxey is No. 10 in the 247Sports composite rankings, and Allen is ranked No. 74 nationally.

LInk

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-25-2018 03:46 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good start and not so bad if several big guys decide to stay for next year, such as Richards and Montgomery. But now that the biggest names have went elsewhere or cut UK off the list of survivors the list gets a lot smaller and the talent drops a good bit on the remaining big guys in the Top 150 247. We still don't look so good with a lot of those remaining on the list.

#5 Jaden McDaniels 6-11/185
#6 Isaiah Stewart 6-9/245
#7 Matthew Hurt 6-9/215
#22 Keion Brooks (SF) 6-7/185
#27 Trenden Watford 6-9/230
#33 Kofi Cockburn 6-10/255
#63 Carl Lewis 6-9/250
#129 Qudas Wahab 6-10/230
#162 Jaden Bediako 6-10/230
#179 Mahamadou Diawara 6-10/220

I don't know of anyone on this list that we have a good chance to sign. Cal may have to hope some 2020 kid decides to move forward to the 2019 class, or hope that another Reid Travis suddenly appears. Good luck!

[ 11-25-2018, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com