TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » Kentucky Little League

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kentucky Little League
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 08-10-2022 04:02 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A little something tonight, the Kentucky little league team is scheduled to play the Ohio team at 5:00 on ESPN. This is a regional game and a 2 and out tournament. They defeated Ohio already once earlier in the tournament 7-6 then lost to the Indiana team 3-1. The winner tonight plays Indiana tomorrow for the opportunity to play in the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa August 17-28.

In my opinion this is one of the top sporting events each year. These kids play for the love of the game above anything else. They are of age 10-12. Just refreshing in this day and age.

After, be sure to catch the Wildcats at 7:00 on the SEC network.

Posts: 7178 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 08-10-2022 06:46 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The kids of North Laurel pulled out a 1-0 win. They face Indiana tomorrow at 4:00 for the Great Lakes region final.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 08-10-2022 11:56 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ty for the update rick. Is this one on espn also?

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 08-11-2022 11:47 AM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed it was advertised yesterday that they would show the game. It is out of it's scheduled slot due to a rainout a couple of days ago and ESPN is showing all the games it can so I hope they find a slot for it.
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 08-11-2022 12:01 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For those of you who haven't seen this, it is moments like these that separate this event from what we have become accustomed to today.

Player hit by pitch.

CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 08-11-2022 01:23 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Update on todays game, 4:00 airing on ESPN 2 as shown on my tv schedule and the ESPN website.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-11-2022 04:16 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The starting pitcher for Kentucky is the same size as my right leg.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-11-2022 06:43 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for adding the link Catfanrick, that's truly sportsmanship.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 08-11-2022 07:56 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heck of a game! Both teams had multiple chances to win, and both teams made plays to not lose. Little league, kids playing baseball, only game where you will find a wild pitch on a 3rd strike running safe to first base having an effect on the outcome of the game.

Great effort from the Kentucky kids from Laurel County, part of the state devastated by floods. Their never quit effort is significant to all of us in Kentucky.

Congratulations to the kids from Indiana. Good luck representing the Great Lakes Region in Williamsport.

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-11-2022 08:51 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed that also and I haven’t been a baseball fan for many years. I think I will watch some future games even without Ky playing. Much faster paced than I expected. Glad you gave us a heads up.

[ 08-11-2022, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 08-11-2022 10:10 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy I watch as much of this that I can every year. ESPN has been showing games all week from about noon until 6:pm, sometimes later.

These are the regional games in the United States. winners will play in the World Series in Williamsport, Pa next week. there will be a United States tournament with all regional winners going for the US championship. There will also be an International tournament for the International Championship. the winners then play for the World Series Championship. Both of these tournaments are played at the same time in Williamsport.

All teams are guaranteed 2 games, and a team can even lost it's first game and win it all. There is also a 3rd place game featuring the runner up of each of the 2 tournaments.

A lot of these teams are area all star teams from the various leagues. Some of these kids go to camps all summer to qualify, they play on club teams and traveling teams. Often they attend camps and clinics with instructors to qualify, but that just makes for better players.

You can visit www.littleleague.org and find more. They have several tournaments every year. The kids we watched today are 11-12 year old, and I think they are the oldest of the sanctioned leagues. they have leagues for younger groups, for softball for girls but there have been several girls play on the "boys" teams and have an impact. A few years ago one of the best pitchers in the series was a girl on a team from New York.

While many of the kids on these teams are hand picked, they are still kids, playing a kids game, the way kids should play it.

Another note, part way through the series next week they bring in 2 major league teams (this year Boston and Baltimore) and play a real game for all the kids.

Seeing this in person is way at the top of my bucket list of things to do. I will be retired in a few years and first chance I get I will be spending a couple weeks in Williamsport.

[ 08-11-2022, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: CatfanRick ]

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-12-2022 09:25 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the additional information. I plan on watching more games even if it interferes with watching a rerun of Gunsmoke.

I lead a fun filled, action packed life.

[ 08-12-2022, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-13-2022 12:42 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me too, Handy. Me too. The highlight of my day is going down to a (the only) local restaurant and having coffee with some of the guys. It's usually the same group, including my youngest brother and his oldest son. We lost one of the group last week, and he was one of the youngest, at 56 years. His funeral is today. He was a commercial fisherman in Alaska. Owned his own boat. He came home to take care of his mother after his dad passed away. She is still alive. So sad.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-13-2022 06:06 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, glad you are able to get out some. My niece gets married in the first part of October in your neck of the woods. Maybe it will work out where I could stop at the coffee shop when you are there.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-13-2022 08:36 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just let me know when you'll be here and we'll make it happen. If we don't have doctor appointments or some such, it won't be a problem.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-13-2022 08:41 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
👍

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com