TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » Not a Good Week So Far (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Not a Good Week So Far
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-02-2021 09:23 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My wife, Millie, Did not feel well Friday, but that's not unusual for us old people. She's 82 and I'm 86. Then Saturday morning, her lips felt numb on one side. That was an instant alert. Our oldest daughter was on her way up from Bowling Green. She was almost here, so we did wait for her. Then she drove us to Baptist Health Hospital in Madisonville. When we got to the ER, they immediately took us to an ER treatment room and the doctor was there in minutes. After a few tests, he told us she had indeed had a stroke. There are two types of strokes, and this is the one they could treat there. They sent her to CCU, and she is still there. They let us stay there with her from 10:00am to 6:00pm so the daughter and I are "off duty" right now. We still don't really have a prognosis, but are praying that she will return to normal. I'll try to keep you up to date.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-02-2021 09:35 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm,
I am sad to hear that news. I am just back from Bible class and will pray for her and you and your family in this time of sadness and concern.

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 06-02-2021 09:36 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Praying for Ms. Millie, Norm. Hoping she has a full recovery.

[ 06-02-2021, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: EnterpriseCat ]

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 06-02-2021 11:39 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So sorry Norm, I will be praying for you and MIllie !!!

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 06-03-2021 06:12 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paula and I know just exactly what you mean. She had to make the decision to take her uncle off life support on Tues. He passed about 10 minutes later.

Prayers that Millie makes a full recovery.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123973 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 06-03-2021 06:13 AM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Prayers for Millie, Norm and family. Stressful times for sure.
Posts: 7193 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 06-03-2021 09:40 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Praying for Millie and you.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2252 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 06-03-2021 10:22 AM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mega prayers for Millie and you, Norm, heading your way. I am a man of strong faith and a firm believer in the power of prayer.

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 06-03-2021 11:03 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm - Joan and I are praying for Millie and you in this most stressful time. Pls keep us informed and we know that she will make a full recovery..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-03-2021 06:48 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sad and disturbing news. I pray for Millie and for her caregivers to effect a full recovery.

Stay strong, Norm. Your TCD community is with you.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13612 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 06-03-2021 08:42 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Praying for you and Millie

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-03-2021 09:25 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She seemed to be a bit better this afternoon. She can hold a conversation with us now, albeit in broken words. The stroke caused weakness in her left side, and that includes her mouth and especially her lips. Our oldest daughter has been here from Bowling Green, since the beginning. She works at WKU and has a lot of vacation and sick days. Her bosses have graciously let her use some of them to be here with us. One of our sons just retired from teaching military kids at Fort Knox and Okinawa. He came from Elizabethtown Wednesday, stayed today and is going home tomorrow. Millie seemed more alert today, but physically weaker. She couldn't get out of bed and stand up like she did yesterday. Still some blood pressure problems, but that is better than yesterday. Sugar has been pretty high, but that may be from lack of exercise. We are not allowed to bring her meds from home, and is given insulin as needed, instead of regular dosage. I think that may be part of the problem as well. That, my friends, is all I know.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 06-03-2021 09:45 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, i’m Very very sorry to hear this. I will be in the Dawson Springs area next week visiting my sister. I had hoped to finally meet you but I know that is very unlikely now as you have your hands full.

I will pray for you and Millie my friend.

[ 06-03-2021, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5395 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-04-2021 09:06 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's good to hear Mille is a bit better and hopefully each day will continue to show improvement.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-05-2021 10:23 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never seen such change happen in one day. We learned this morning that she had another stroke yesterday. Altogether a different person today. In fact, she fed herself today, under the guidance of a Speech Pathologist. Her left side is almost totally paralyzed, but she did very well with her right arm and hand. Her sense of humor is not diminished. She did break down and cry when one of the kids and/or grandchildren came to see her. They moved her to a regular room this afternoon. Things are looking up.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-06-2021 09:24 AM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for some good (not all good) news. I pray she will make progress from this point. I will continue to pray for her progress and for your mental comfort.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-09-2021 05:12 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Millie scared the wadding out of me this morning. I woke up at 3:00am and couldn't go back to sleep, so I shaved, took a shower and got over to the hospital at about 6:30. Millie was sleeping and crying at the same time. Neither I nor the nurses could wake her up. I came on home at 9:00 when one of our sons got there. I couldn't take it anymore. He sent a text just shortly after I got home, saying about 12 people had a zoom call with a neurologist, from her room. THAT woke her up and she was pretty much the same as earlier. I drove straight back and had a chat with her before the daughter came and had a shift change.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-09-2021 06:54 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm,
I know this is a very difficult time for you and I am sorry for you. I do pray that your wife will not suffer in this time frame of brain injury.

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-09-2021 08:51 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have asked the Lord to go ahead and take her if she was going to wind up as an invalid in a nursing home, if it was his will.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 06-09-2021 09:09 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm,

Prayers for you and your family.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11567 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 06-10-2021 01:22 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
I have asked the Lord to go ahead and take her if she was going to wind up as an invalid in a nursing home, if it was his will.

Norm,

Praying for you and your family!!

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 06-11-2021 03:21 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Praying for you, Norm.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 06-11-2021 09:50 AM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Norm, keep your faith that His plan is the best plan.

Prayers continued.

Posts: 7193 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-11-2021 04:02 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Millie will be transferred to SKY (?) rehab hospital in Bowling Green soo, maybe even today. I have a daughter living there, and will be staying with her for the duration. Mama was doing a lot better the last two days. Left side still paralyzed, but at least she can feel when anyone touches her there. I'll take my laptop with me, and will try to keep TCD updated. Norm

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 06-12-2021 10:47 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Norm - Millie feels like part of my family. Tks for ur updates and pray she will be home soon,,

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-12-2021 08:57 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fairly good day. All manners of therapies going on, which we expected. After all, it's a rehab hospital. The food there is gross, as my teenage kids used to say. All her food is pureed, as she has to learn to swallow properly again. The evening meal consisted of pureed meat, pureed carrots, and some kind of nasty looking gravy. She tasted all three and made a face after each one. Our daughter was out looking for something in town and I texted her and asked her to bring her Mama something to eat. She looked for something that Millie could swallow and finally got a chocolate shake. Mom sucked that cup dry and was perfectly content and happy. I think these people working there are really good at what they do. One or two of the CNAs are a little on the lazy side and are not very prompt, but overall, very good.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-12-2021 10:00 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm,
Thank you very much for the update.
I have a swallowing problem from Parkinsons disease. If your daughter had not already helped her Mom by buying her a milkshake, I was going to suggest that as a good option. Still praying for all your family in this stressful time.

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-14-2021 04:34 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Both of us had a milk shake today because that's the way she wanted to celebrate our 63rd wedding anniversary. I tasted her food at lunch, and I don't think it's the taste of it bothering her, but the consistency.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-14-2021 05:01 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update. You two have been married longer than my wife and me. Our fifty sixth anniversary will be this Saturday (June 19). I am still praying for you as you undergo this distress. I am also praying for your wife that she is not suffering.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-14-2021 06:21 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds like those milk shakes are helping, keep them coming!

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 06-14-2021 07:40 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the anniversary! Prayers still coming.
Side note, you all have been married longer than I've been alive. 54 The wife and have been married 32 years.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123973 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-14-2021 08:07 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our youngest was 52 in March. Oldest 62. We I a staying with her here in Bowling Green, where the rehab is located.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-16-2021 05:02 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Major milestone today. She mover her left leg! First time I've dared hope to see her walk again.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-16-2021 06:57 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, that is good progress. Therapy can really Help with improvement. I know this is a hard time for you, and I pray for you.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-16-2021 08:58 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This hospital has double occupancy rooms. When Millie moved in Saturday, her roommate had had a drug induced stroke. She wasn't that bad of a roommate; helpful and friendly. A new one moved in yesterday. I don't know how to describe her. She is loud and has a beard. This is unexplored territory for me. Then this afternoon, my daughter says her boyfriend was there. Big fat guy that had the room reeking of cigarette smoke (from his clothes I guess) Loud talking with lots of obscenities including lots of F bombs. I don't think this is going to work out. One of us has got to go.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-16-2021 10:42 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm,
That is terrible!!
I do not ever want that situation. They should move Millie to another room quickly.
I hope that situation will improve very quickly.

GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 06-17-2021 03:03 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
This hospital has double occupancy rooms. When Millie moved in Saturday, her roommate had had a drug induced stroke. She wasn't that bad of a roommate; helpful and friendly. A new one moved in yesterday. I don't know how to describe her. She is loud and has a beard. This is unexplored territory for me. Then this afternoon, my daughter says her boyfriend was there. Big fat guy that had the room reeking of cigarette smoke (from his clothes I guess) Loud talking with lots of obscenities including lots of F bombs. I don't think this is going to work out. One of us has got to go.

Norm,

We had this problem last year when my mother-in-law was in rehab after almost losing a battle to an abdominal bleed. Go to Millie's doctor and calmly explain the situation and ask him to make a decision that is in the best interest of her recovery. He can get one of them moved.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-17-2021 03:18 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm,
Has the room situation been improved?

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-17-2021 08:37 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boy friend did not show up today. Nurse told our daughter they would try to move Millie. Hasn't happened yet. I don't want to rile them up, because after all, I have to trust them to take care of her.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 06-17-2021 09:55 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope they will get Millie into another room very soon. I know that having medical problems is very distressing, but when more unpleasant situations are added, it is increasingly distressing for the patient and their family.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com