TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » ICE!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ICE!!
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-11-2021 11:12 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have ice here today. Fortunately, it's probably less than .1 inches and is not heavy enough to break limbs off of trees like it did in '09 and our power has stayed on. The roads are pretty much impassable though.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-11-2021 06:14 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had sleet most of the evening here along the Ohio River. Thankfully it was already frozen before it hit the ground so it was like Ice pellets. Freezing rain would have probably shut the power off around here. Too many trees along the power lines!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-16-2021 10:54 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sunny and 63 in St.Augustine 10 AM.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-16-2021 10:55 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't want to hear it, CMD. [Smile]
Posts: 10343 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-16-2021 12:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul, It's 65 right now with blue skys and sunshine. [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-16-2021 12:19 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CMD you're very lucky compared to some friends we made along the way in Longview TX and Shreveport LA. It's the biggest snow/ice they've seen in 40 years. We had a snow in 1972, the year we got sent to Biloxi MS. It bent the metal poles on the tarp we had over the patio. But I believe they have had snow every 10 years down there, 72, 62, 52 at least. We haven't moved here on Red Lick since Sunday. My drive has a sheet of ice under almost an inch of snow and I don't plan on going anywhere for another day or 2 or 3.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-16-2021 12:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, we are just plain lucky as we have a daughter and granddaughter living down here and we found a place in a golf course community. We had to move to keep and eye on them. [Wink]

[ 02-16-2021, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-16-2021 03:13 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That sheet of ice is still on the driveway but it's now covered with between 3 and 4 inches of powdery snow. Expecting more tomorrow and Thursday. I went out Saturday morning to pick up a grocery order. When I got to the end of our driveway, I slid on out to the middle of the road. When I got home, I could not make it all the way up to the house. I parked and carried the groceries in from there. I let the car sit for a couple of hours, went back out and started it. Put it in gear without touching accelerator and it crawled up and into the carport. This is not bad compared to the four years we spent at Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota. We had twenty days there without cracking Zero one time. Yes, I still had to go to work and the kids had to go to school every week day.

[ 02-16-2021, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-16-2021 07:04 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's how the power plant life is, Norm. No matter how bad the roads or weather seems to be, someone still has to make the electricity! The path in my route to work that bothers me most is my own driveway. I don't have a hill or incline all the way to work. I drive a road that follows the river on both the Indiana and KY side!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-17-2021 08:44 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is a balmy 3 degrees as I write this, up from -6 degrees when I woke up this morning. We have just a tad over a foot of snow on the ground, with more coming.

I am pleasantly surprised we still have power. I had to dig out the car and drive about 4 miles last night, and just getting out of our flat driveway was the biggest challenge. Somebody "helpfully" plowed a narrow lane down our cul-de-sac, which created a big pile of snow that I had to get through.

I am glad we don't have ice. Ice is 10x worse than snow! It is the curse of Kentucky... those ice storms are terrible. I can live with snow and cold, but I must confess, I am looking to move somewhere warmer once the kids are finally out of college.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-17-2021 09:25 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
14 degrees here right now. Expecting one to three additional inches of snow, starting at noon CST and ending tomorrow evening. To make things more interesting, a "glaze" of ice will accompany it! I have not been out of the house since Saturday.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-17-2021 10:38 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't wait until Sunday when it's supposed to be 40 degrees. That's why I seldom shovel snow here in N. Ky. If you just wait a few days it should melt. [Smile]
Posts: 10343 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 02-17-2021 12:18 PM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've had a 6500 amp generator for over two years but never had to use it. I got it out this week to get it ready. I had to use some starting fluid on it to get it started and it fired right up. I let it run for a while to burn all the "stale" gas out of it.

I gassed it back up, placed it outside away from the house, then wired up emergency lines I might need. I've got lines to back-feed into the furnace, lines to the refrigerator, TV, computer, coffee pot, and a few lights.

We haven't lost power yet but I'm ready just in case we do.

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com