TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » I Did Something Stupid

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Did Something Stupid
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-01-2020 04:42 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I probably won't come as a surprise to anyone that I'd do something stupid, but that's exactly what I did. I have a cordless hedge trimmer. You can probably guess the rest. Monday, I was using it to trim a run away privet hedge just outside the window by my recliner. Yep. Got my left middle finger in it. I pretty much lost half the skin/finger print on that middle finger, which is a finger I use quite often, especially when driving. It bled like a stuck hog but didn't really hurt all that much for very long. The bleeding has pretty much stopped now and it doesn't hurt unless I bump it on something. I didn't go to doctor (He would have made fun of me) but wrapped it myself and keep it doused with Neosporin. It'll leave an ugly scar, but at least I still have the finger. edit: I also wear a plastic glove on that hand, to keep it clean.

[ 05-01-2020, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 05-01-2020 05:20 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, I don't think accidents are necessarily "stupid"
However, it's good that you feel like doing some things that need to be done.
Are you up to date on your tetanus immunization?

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-01-2020 06:13 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clydeh:
Norm,
Are you up to date on your tetanus immunization?

Yes, I think so.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 05-01-2020 06:25 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I highly recommend everyone to be update on tetanus shots. They are now combined with the whooping cough vaccine. Very important if you are having grand babies coming into your families!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123974 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 05-01-2020 06:44 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm … my dad got his hand caught in a windmill gear system back in the early 1940's and mangled it up pretty bad. He stuck it in a bucket of kerosene and it left a tiny scar. Not that I am recommending that today but it did work and he lived to be 91 and a half. He said they kept a can of kerosene on the farm for those type of accidents.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-01-2020 07:12 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, when I started reading this I had two thoughts. Norm has cut the cord on his trimmer or he has cut himself. Sorry it is the latter.

Mel, my grandmother always kept a bottle of kerosene in the house for cuts. She would also mix it with sugar and give it to you for a cold, sore throat etc. I damn near exploded a few times trying not to sneeze in her presence.

Posts: 5396 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 05-02-2020 11:58 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, Norm, glad it wasn't worse. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that most 'body part vs machinery' type incidents aren't so lucky. Get it nursed up and taken care of. Don't want any infection setting in.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-06-2020 11:26 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We all do dumb things, just glad your on the mend....

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-06-2020 12:01 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember while visiting my grandparents in Harrison Co,(probably 8 or 9) cutting my foot bad with an axe (missed the log) and my g/mother had me soak my foot in kerosene and lo and behold it never hurt and now a very small scar. Wonder drug Kerosene

[ 05-06-2020, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-06-2020 01:06 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too had medical encounters with kerosene when I was growing up. I really think all it does is kill bacteria and allow the wound to heal on its own. Now castor oil is another story altogether. Have any of you experience the healing properties of the castor bean plant?

[ 05-06-2020, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-06-2020 01:45 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Made me sicker taking it than I already was - it did work however....ugg

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-06-2020 02:06 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would make you squirt like a tied goose!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-06-2020 04:41 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I asked my wife if you could still buy it. She is pretty sure you can. It should be outlawed.

We didn’t dare mention we had a stomach ache around Grandma for fear of being made to take a dose of it. If you did, you would have a day in the out house and use most of the Sears catalog.

Posts: 5396 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-16-2020 06:33 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The finger is healing nicely. I stopped wrapping it four or five days ago. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. It's still a tad tender, but all is well. It sure is easier to do the required hand washing without the bandage. I am getting so damn tired of this isolation thing. The oldest grandson brought his sweet wife over yesterday and she cut my hair. She did it out on the carport. It was growing out over my ears. When I tried to pay her, she wasn't having any of it until I told her if she didn't take it, I'd give it to one of their boys. That sealed the deal.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com