TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » Coyotes

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coyotes
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-26-2020 07:30 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have lived in this house, on this five acres for over 42 years. We are located in a bend of the Tradewater River, and our boundary line on the east and west ends at that river. I have often heard coyotes howling back near the river to the west, but had never seen one. Yesterday, my wife threw out some scraps for the birds and other critters. This time the 'critter' was a coyote. I have a habit of looking out the back door glass when I get out of this recliner, and there it was. I eased the door open and slammed it shut, thinking that would have scared it off. It scared it alright, but it only ran 6 or 8 feet, stopped and looked back and seeing nothing, came back to the scraps. I tried it a couple more times and all it did was look and then go back to munching scraps. I guess I should have taken a shot at it, but have grown soft in my old age. (85 today)

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-26-2020 08:22 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Norm and many more!!!

p.s. you will probably see the critter lots more since he knows where the food is. Hope he isn't sick!

[ 04-26-2020, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-26-2020 08:50 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it makes a habit of coming up here, I'll park my .22 by the back door! It was only 40-50 feet from me.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-26-2020 09:20 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't think twice about shooting it. I'd hate for it to attack you or your wife. Happy birthday, Oldnorm.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-26-2020 10:47 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I worry more about the next door neighbor's grandkids, both pre schoolers.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-26-2020 11:26 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday Norm!

Make your wife a lovely fur stole out of that critter. [Wink]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-27-2020 04:43 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Belated birthday, Norm! My birthday was Saturday! I didn't turn 85 though. You've got me by 32 years!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123964 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-27-2020 07:37 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy belated Birthday Norm and m Hamilton. Two of my favorite posters.

Get out your pocketknife Norm and go after that critter. At least that’s the way I thin out the population around central Illinois.

[ 04-27-2020, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-27-2020 08:03 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rlt:
quote:
I wouldn't think twice about shooting it.
Me neither!

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 04-27-2020 10:57 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday to you old farts! I wonder if it's true that coyotes and other critters are becoming more prevalent with less and less people out and about due to this pandemic. I should go hunting them at the farm.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-27-2020 12:18 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of my nephews hunts them. He even has a dog trained to lure them into gun range. He has even took a trip out west, to meet and hunt with a guy that makes a living doing it.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-27-2020 12:20 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday, Norm and MH. That's another year of wisdom. [Smile]
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 04-27-2020 01:20 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My daughter has donkeys to protect her horses from coyotes. She told me this story about what a mother should be like when I mentioned that I had some grandparents who were taking care of their grandchildren because their own mothers would not (usually because of drug abuse).

She said her female donkey would come up to her when she went out into the pasture and put her head on my daughter's shoulder so she would rub her face. She said the donkey was so gentle when she was around her. My daughter said that when the donkey had a baby, she changed and became aggressive whenever my daughter came close to the baby.

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-27-2020 01:21 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eighty-five and sharp as a tack. Happy for you, keep on rolling!

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-27-2020 02:26 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dr Clyde, I had heard that donkeys were very aggressive with coyotes and have been known to kill them.
Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 04-27-2020 02:32 PM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Norm!

Guard Donkeys are pretty common. My uncle has one to protect his calves from coyotes. He bought on after they attacked and killed a calf in jackson county

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10224 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-27-2020 03:24 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a friend that has lots of trouble with black vultures when his black angus cows are calving. When the calves are being born, they will pick it's eyeballs out and start eating on it, even before it has a chance to get up. There is a law against killing them, but he called and got permission to kill 10% of them. The lady asked, "How many do you think you have doing that?" He told her "About 35." She said "350 huh?" and gave him a permit to kill 35!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 04-27-2020 03:38 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy, she got them because she had heard about their aggressive actions toward coyotes. She learned that the mother donkey was also aggressive toward her when she got near the donkey's baby.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-27-2020 03:49 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even though I live in a suburban area, we hear packs of coyotes nearby many nights.

One night, I was walking my dog and a coyote came out of a wooded area about 20 feet from me. He stopped in the middle of our road, and we engaged in a stare-down for a while, sizing each other up. My dog was going crazy on his leash, but the coyote paid him no attention. Eventually, he flicked his ears at me and left.

Clearly, he was acknowledging his defeat.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-28-2020 11:29 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, that is one smart coyote. [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-28-2020 11:33 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy late birthday Norm !!!

The only good coyote is a dead coyote !!!

MEL

Posts: 2791 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-28-2020 12:05 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Dr Clyde, I had heard that donkeys were very aggressive with coyotes and have been known to kill them.

Handy is right. In Florida all the cattle farmers/ranches have donkeys in with their herds to keep coyote's away. Works great as they will kill any coyote who gets around their cows..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 04-28-2020 02:09 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukcatfannfl,

My daughter loves her horses and was worried about them because of the coyotes. She was living here out in the country and could hear the coyotes barking and howling or whatever they do. Someone told her to get the donkeys and she wouldn't have to worry about her horses. It worked!

country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 04-30-2020 06:10 AM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
norm---be careful--they are losing their fear of people----coon hunting one night I had them come in on me and a young dog--they chewed on him some--he ran to me and they followed. it was out of season so I never had a gun. they got 8--10 feet of me--I got a club and beat the ground they backed off and I started to my truck--they never came back in but they never got out of sight--that's the only time in my life I have ever been scared at night while hunting----now ever time I go---I carry a 9 mm next time they do that--things will be different

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com