TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » HOW DOES (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: HOW DOES
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-22-2020 12:21 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY, That would be great to see and would be much appreciated. I truly can't imagine that the East side of Rockford has deteriorated. Sad, very Sad.

PS Where do you work when you go to Rockford? My father worked at Woodward Governor Co. in Loves Park and my Father in law owned and it's still in the family the Fred C Olson Mortuary.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-22-2020 12:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY, that is really a shock. I just told my wife about our discussion and she too was shocked to hear about the East side of Rockford. I guess we were fortunate getting out of there when we did.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-24-2020 04:09 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cmd, I am a paramedic. I work for a service owned by OSF - we're stationed in Belvidere currently but operate 4 stations between Boone and Winnebago counties. Our HQ is by St. Anthony hospital on E. State St and we've got another up in Loves Park off of 251. I don't mean to paint such a bleak picture of Rockford, and maybe I overstated things a bit about the east side, but I don't live there...only go there for work...so I never see much of the good things, if that makes sense. I know there's a lot of stuff that happens that never makes the news. Next week, I switch stations and will be working out of Loves Park for 2 months. I'll try to get over to your stomping grounds then!

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2020 06:07 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY, I lived in Loves Park on Arlington Street as a child.

[ 03-22-2020, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-26-2020 12:56 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CMD, I did a drive by of your old neck of the woods today. I think it's a nice old neighborhood, you sure had a different time growing up there than what it looks like today, I'm sure. Charles St. is all grown up now, lots of businesses and retail. East HS is huge, at least to what I'm used to. I've no idea what an E-Rab is, maybe you can enlighten me?

by cmd request!

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2020 08:22 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY, ERAB stands for EastRedAndBlack (the schools colors).

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2020 08:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY, when my wife and I went to East High, her class (1959) was 777 and mine (1958) was right at 600 students. I know it sounds like a lot but we both new most every student in the classes as we went all together from the 7th grade.

--------------------

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-27-2020 08:39 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the lesson. I know there's other schools in Rockford that are bigger, but didn't realize the size of East until yesterday when I went by there to take the pics. It's really spread out over a big area. Did you see the pics of the house? Was that the right one, I bet it looks identical to when you lived there huh? [Big Grin] Looked like a nice little place!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-27-2020 07:06 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY, I didn't see the pics it said:

Sorry, this page isn't available.
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.

--------------------

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-27-2020 08:53 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alright, cmd, let's try this again...

photos for cmd!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-28-2020 12:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YOU nailed it! The house looks exactly the same as when i lived there...THANK YOU SO MUCH! It really brings back some fond memories, the only place i might have spent as nuch time was at the Sandy Holly golf course. [Wink]

[ 03-06-2020, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-28-2020 12:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ironically I was born at the old St. Anthony hospital and my sisters children graduated from Belvidere High School. We remember when in the late 60's the school was hit by a tornado.

Is the Chrysler plant still there?

--------------------

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-28-2020 06:40 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sure is! We despise the Chrysler plant because their ridiculous rules for utilizing their medical department. If one of the employees gets a headache or feels too sick to finish their shift, they go to the medical dept (staffed by nurses) who then call an ambulance to take the patient to the hospital! The patient has no choice... if they can't finish the shift, they leave via ambulance. We've taken some real dumb complaints out of there!

As for the old St. Anthony, was it in the location of the current hospital? 5666 E State St not far off of Mulford. I've worked for them since 2008, they've done a lot of renovations since then. There's still what's called the 'old main' entrance but it's basically only for employees now. I do wish I could have seen Rockford 50 years ago, I bet it was a great town.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-29-2020 01:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe the address of the original St. Anthony hospital was located on East State and Summit Street. It was originally built in 1899 by the Nuns.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-29-2020 01:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It "was" a wonderful town with little crime.

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-05-2020 08:47 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM, where did you work in the mines? I had a medical office in Inez and met many miners in the late sixties.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-06-2020 10:58 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
I believe the address of the original St. Anthony hospital was located on East State and Summit Street. It was originally built in 1899 by the Nuns.

You're right. I looked up the history, and that site at State/Summit was basically just a house they used like a hospital. Got donations from the citizens for furniture, food, etc. When did you leave Rockford? I'm always intrigued driving around and seeing the old, abandoned, neglected and boarded up factories and warehouses. It really must have been something to see back in the heyday.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-06-2020 02:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YES, ROCKFORD AND THE SURROUNDING AREA WAS BEAUTIFUL AND A SAFE PLACE TO LIVE WHEN WE WERE GROWING UP........WE MOVED TO LOUISVILLE IN 1973 BUT VISITED THERE OFTEN WHEN WE HAD FAMILY UP THERE. NOW MY MOTHER WHO IS 98 AND MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN CALEDONIA ARE ALL THAT ARE STILL THERE. MY MOM IS AT ANUM MEMORY CARE FACILITY OFF OF SO. MULFORD ROAD. IT SURE IS SAD TO HEAR AND SEE WHAT IT IS LIKE NOW. WE FLEW INTO ROCKFORD A FEW YEARS BACK AND WENT TO THE CAR RENTAL AREA WHERE THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK ASKED WHY IN THE WORLD DID WE WANT TO VISIT ROCKFORD. REALLY SAD. THANKS FOR THE PICTURES AND KNOW THEY BROUGHT BACK GOOD MEMORIES.

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-08-2020 08:56 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
clydeh:

quote:
MM, where did you work in the mines? I had a medical office in Inez and met many miners in the late sixties.
I've worked for several companies in Ky. My first job was with Blue Diamond Coal Co. at the Scotia mine in Letcher, Co.

In 1976 a mine explosion killed 15 people, including 3 MSHA mine inspectors. Eleven of those men were entombed in the mine for nearly 9 months before their bodies were recovered.

I had just quit there for another job a week earlier. My father-in-law (at the time) was captain of one of the rescue teams that recovered the bodies.

I also worked for US steel in Lynch, Ky, Consolidation Coal Company in Middlesboro, Ky.

I finished my mining career with Jim Walter Resources in Brookwood, Al... A very deep, methane-laden longwall operation about 25 miles north of Tuscaloosa....Company offered early retirement buyout in 2010 and I jumped all over it.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-08-2020 09:35 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY:
quote:
We despise the Chrysler plant because their ridiculous rules for utilizing their medical department. If one of the employees gets a headache or feels too sick to finish their shift, they go to the medical dept (staffed by nurses) who then call an ambulance to take the patient to the hospital! The patient has no choice... if they can't finish the shift, they leave via ambulance. We've taken some real dumb complaints out of there!
Jim Walters did the same thing and the reason was to control absenteeism and "early outs". Absenteeism was a huge problem and extremely disruptive to production and safety.

The labor agreement with UMWA included a very strict absenteeism policy. I don't remember the exact details, but it was like 2-3 unexcused absents in any 6 month period and you were gone...period!

The way people would get around the policy was to go to work and sometime during the shift (usually very early) would say they were sick...what we called "early out". Some would actually have their wife call the mine and say there was an emergency at home. A lot of this was fake and everyone knew it, especially on football Saturday in Alabama.

Companies can't prevent any "sick" employee from leaving, but they can arrange and provide medical treatment. This is a very expensive tactic for companies, but it worked...Our "early outs" dropped dramatically in just a few months.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-08-2020 10:41 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
MY MOTHER WHO IS 98 AND MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN CALEDONIA ARE ALL THAT ARE STILL THERE. MY MOM IS AT ANUM MEMORY CARE FACILITY OFF OF SO. MULFORD ROAD.

We go to Anam Care usually a couple times a week for work. I think the folks who work at that type of facility must be angels in disguise; I know I couldn't do it. For those not familiar, it's a facility that provides housing and care for Alzheimers/dementia patients. The residents there are in various stages of these diseases, and you can just tell many of them have so many stories to tell and want to...but they can't.
Glad to know those pictures brought back fond memories for ya, cmd. If there's any other locations you want to see, just let me know! I'm all over this area for work, it's really no trouble.

MM, I understand the logic behind an employer having such restrictive policies for 'sick' employees, but it's awful for the local emergency services and hospitals. 99% or more of these folks are just trying to get out of work, but they are required to tie up an ambulance and then a bed in a local emergency room. Yes, the bills they receive generally go to the employer, but it's a strain on emergency resources! This Chrysler plant has upwards of 10,000 employees, working around the clock. I don't know the actual percentage of them that get a case of 'workitis' on any given day, but it's not a small number!

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-08-2020 11:03 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY:
quote:
but it's a strain on emergency resources!
Unless an ambulance was requested by the "sick" employee we had salaried safety employees on all three shifts that would drive the "sick" employee to the EM in a company vehicle.

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-08-2020 04:35 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Several of my patients in Martin County did invite me to go with them to see their work situation in the mines, but I did not ever go because of my fear.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-09-2020 03:54 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
CFIY:
quote:
but it's a strain on emergency resources!
Unless an ambulance was requested by the "sick" employee we had salaried safety employees on all three shifts that would drive the "sick" employee to the EM in a company vehicle.
Now, see, that makes sense. Especially for a company the size of this factory, why not have a designated person or 2 to drive these folks to the hospital? Would save the company tens of thousands of dollars, if not more, per month.

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-11-2020 02:30 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We also had certified EMT's on each shift that would travel along and assist if necessary.

They would take the employee to the EM, and, unless he/she were being admitted, drive them back to the mine where their car/truck was and release them to go home....this took a few hours...blows up a lot of plans.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-26-2020 06:23 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY, my first job in Rockford was with the Rocford Sewer Department. It was the experience of a life time being 16 and a little naive but it turned out to be the most interesting and fun job I ever had. These old timers that worked there really checked me out and worked me to a frazzle but I stayed right up with them and we became great friends in no time. I learned what makes a man is what's in his heart no matter what job he has or how rich he is. I will never forget any one of them and learned more from them about life than any professor i ever had! I also learned where all the crap goes when you flush a toilet.......

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-26-2020 09:22 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also learned where all the crap goes when you flush a toilet.......

It goes to Louisville, doesn't it? [Big Grin]
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-26-2020 09:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC, Can't comment on that [Wink]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-26-2020 10:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I lived in Louisville too, well it was Prospect KY which is on the east side of Louisville on highway 42! If your a golfer we lived right across the road (highway 42) from Justin Thomas the pro-golfer who is about the best there is...

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com