TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » Help me out — give me an unknown artist to listen to

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me out — give me an unknown artist to listen to
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 10-11-2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I Love most all kinds of music and enjoy finding those hidden gems. Share an artist or two that you like who isn’t quite main stream and I’ll check them out.

Some one I’ve been listening to lately is Jeffrey Foucault.

[ 10-11-2019, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Bigcatdaddy ]

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10239 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 10-15-2019 09:51 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bigcat, not sure if you like rock/metal, but i'll throw a couple your way.

This Queensryche album is a "concept album", meaning it tells a story.

<Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime>

Another album to hear is Never Surrender by Triumph. One of my favorite bands - the guitarist is phenomenal.

One more album you should hear - Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains. Incredible album.

Well one more won't hurt. For you literary buffs - Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. <Rime of the Ancient Mariner>

[ 10-15-2019, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 10-16-2019 11:04 AM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the ideas. I've heard all of those bands actually...quick funny story when in high school I turned the lyrics to Triumph's Fight the Good Fight, for poetry assignment. I got an A- and was so pissed. lol Of course i couldn't complain. And my hunch the teacher didn't listen to Triumph proved accurate.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 10-16-2019 12:48 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is HLARIOUS!!! You were lucky your teacher wasn't a rocker. [Smile]

[ 10-16-2019, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-16-2019 09:02 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My kids have turned me on to two bands I like: 21 Pilots and Vampire Weekend. I love 21 Pilots' lyrics and musical style.

Speaking of funny rock stories, back in the day, I took a class in Musical Appreciation at one of Elizabethtown Community College during a summer session. It fulfilled one of my graduation requirements. The class consisted of about 15 old ladies and me. We learned about the "symphonic form" and how to listen to symphonic music. I loved the class.

Instead of a traditional final exam, the teacher assigned us a paper to write that describes one movement of a symphony of our choice, detailing the mood, the tempo, the use of various instruments for tone and sound, crescendos and diminutos, etc. We would bring our papers along with a recording of the piece we selected to class on the day of the final exam.

Being the rocker that I was, I chose a song by Pink Floyd ("The Great Gig in the Sky", from Dark Side of the Moon). I wrote my paper and brought it along with my vinyl recording of Dark Side of the Moon to class on the appointed day, and the teacher randomly selected ... ME ... to read my paper aloud as the music played.

The room fell silent, and the ladies smiled in anticipation of some nice classical music. The smiles turned rapidly into grimaces and frowns as the song filled the room. I read my paper carefully, watching the shocked looks and tut-tutting around the room. I turned to the professor, and she was smiling and enjoying the song, so I continued to the end.

The older ladies erupted in protest at the end, asking how dare I play such music in a classical music appreciation class. The teacher told them to learn to stretch their understanding of music, and complemented me on my paper and selection of song.

I got an A. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 10-17-2019 09:59 AM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions TipTree. I'll give them a listen.

I enjoy a good story in a song -- and one I can understand.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 10-17-2019 01:37 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bigcatdaddy:
I enjoy a good story in a song -- and one I can understand.

Forget about Rap "music" then!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-18-2019 06:14 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about a little Scruggs and Flatt and some "Foggy Mountain Breakdown"! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 10-19-2019 10:25 AM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Used to love to play that song when my friends and I would get together and jam.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com