TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » General Chat   » I don’t understand

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don’t understand
Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 08-01-2018 11:28 AM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yesterday gas was $2.65. Today it’s $2.95. What has happened over night to cause this jump?

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-01-2018 01:39 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It went from $2.65 to $3.15 here. I am told that gas stations charge based upon their projected cost of gas in the next tanker-full that they will buy. So, the pricing is based upon the near-term futures market... which can be volatile.

It seems like 30-50 cent upward moves are common, but downward moves are far more 'gentle'. Go figure...

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-05-2018 01:38 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I firmly believe they spike the price, whenever they think it will be a heavy travel weekend.

I have noticed that prices spike on different days for different towns.

If a certain town spikes it on a certain day, the consumers will get used to buying their gas a day or two before that day. Then, they will switch the "spike" day to catch people witgh empty gas tanks and collect the higher price.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com